Almost done with Stage 1, gaining inches

Options
My next workout will be the last workout of stage 1. So far I LOVE lifting, it makes me feel great, energetic, and just all-around good! I think I am seeing some changes in my body, too, like less cellulite and just more smoothness. But my problem is...I haven't lost any inches, in fact I've grown a wee bit and my clothes are fitting poorly. I started the program eating TDEE, then switched to TDEE -20%, sometimes eating TDEE if I was hungry or didn't have enough protein that day.
Before NROLFW, I did Weight Watchers for a year, and lost 50 lbs, but I was sooo tired of the ups and downs, and the mind games to stay at my "goal weight". I understand that going from Weight Watchers to eating TDEE can be confusing for the body, and it may be more of a "bulk" for a while. But I am 5 weeks into the program, and 2 weeks into TDEE -20%, and I just want to know if anybody had a similar experience? I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. The inches will come off in time, right?

Replies

• siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you have gone from weight watchers (seriously low cal) to doing TDEE then you will gain weight initially. I would carry on with what you are doing for a few more weeks and see if it evens out. In stage 2 you bring interval training into it as well so that will bring your energy expenditure up a bit to.

For now you need to listen to what your body is telling you.
    So far I LOVE lifting, it makes me feel great, energetic, and just all-around good! I think I am seeing some changes in my body, too, like less cellulite and just more smoothness.

They sound like great improvements in overall life quality to me.
  • VickiG36
    VickiG36 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    The biggest lesson I've learned-do not weigh in and don't get discouraged. I haven't been very consistent with the workouts and didn't follow the eating plan at all. Yes my clothes have gotten snug but I see the muscles forming and I feel much stronger. I use to not be able to carry in a 40 lb bag of dog food, now i can throw it over my head. I'm on the last leg of Stage 3 and am pretty sure I'll see some changes as I get higher in the stages.
  • mrs_jorgenson
    mrs_jorgenson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That's a good point about the intervals in stage 2. I definitely know that I'm doing the right thing for my body (and mind!) by lifting, and do not intend to stop! I don't weigh myself, either, I just want my pants to fit in time for colder weather. I will continue doing TDEE/TDEE -20% and be happy that I finally get to EAT! Thanks for responding!
  • clairemarie1016
    clairemarie1016 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just a suggestion but check out this post...it may help since Weight Watchers is a lower calorie program like the MFP system (as described in the post).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1072049-thoughts-on-tdee-calculators-and-switching-from-mfp-to-tdee
  • mrs_jorgenson
    mrs_jorgenson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Good post. I haven't been tracking on MFP that long, I'll definitely be able to figure out a better caloric number to shoot for. I went back and looked at some of my average weight watchers days and was eating 700-1100 calories! No wonder I feel better now.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I just got done with Stage 1, and have definitely gained some weight and inches- 1" on each thigh, around 1" on my waist, and I'm sure my biceps have increased a bit. I was bummed out for days after I got weighed at the doctor a few weeks into Stage 1.

HOWEVER, that being said, I thankfully had the presence of mind to take 'before' pictures, and compared them with pictures from this week. I couldn't believe the difference. I have more definition everywhere (tricep muscles! obliques! quads!), my butt looks amazing, and my thighs are way more solid and look great.

Yes, I've gained weight and inches too, but I'm hoping to drop it again soon. I did cardio and interval training almost every day all throughout Stage 1 because it was part of my normal routine already and I'm addicted to the endorphins. I'm not sure how that's impacted my fat loss/ muscle gain, but I'm REALLY liking what I see.

If you like it, keep at it. And take lots of pictures. ;)