Need A New Routine...I Think

Options
bound4beauty
bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
I've been doing Strong Lifts for a couple of months and I'm bored with it. I worked with a trainer for 12 weeks prior to starting SL and I'm no stranger to free weights. I belong to a gym that has great equipment but just one squat rack which always seems to be in use. That will probably get better once the kids go back to school but lately I've been using the leg press machine because I don't want to wait.

I've been slowly...and it seems pretty darn slow....making progress on my bench press, rows and dead lifts. OHP is taking longer to progress with. Part of my problem, and I know....I'm a wimp....is that I'm kind of afraid to really push myself and go heavier without a spotter. And, I'm not very keen on asking someone to spot for me. Everyone has their ear buds in and they are doing their thing and I just don't want to bother them ya know? I think my form is suffering somewhat too as I go heavier.

So...I feel like I need to shake it up and try something new. I don't know what that would be exactly but I still have a LOT of weight to lose so I have to be realistic about how much muscle/strength I can gain while eating at a deficit. I love feeling stronger and I am definitely firmer in places but my primary objective is lose fat and maintain...maybe grow a little muscle.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• bound4beauty
    Options
    I'm replying to my own post...that's sad. So, an MFP friend who is not in this group saw my post and left a comment on my profile. She basically said that I need to suck it up and push myself. She may be right. Maybe I've just gotten used to having a trainer by my side and going it alone is different and maybe a little intimidating.

So, lets say I stick with Strong Lifts. I increased my squat weight today and was fine. Then I got to the dreaded OHP and did the same damn thing I've done the last three times. I warm up with 40 pounds, no problem. I move to my working weight of 50 pounds and I can only do 3 reps. All five sets are 3 reps and I CAN NOT get that fricken bar over my head for a fourth time unless I do more of a clean and jerk...which is not an OHP! So I guess it's time to deload and drop back to 45 pounds? It's very frustrating.
  • Dana31601
    Dana31601 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you...just commiseration. OHP is HARD. Hang in there!!
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm not even up to 45lbs on the OHP yet.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm replying to my own post...that's sad. So, an MFP friend who is not in this group saw my post and left a comment on my profile. She basically said that I need to suck it up and push myself. She may be right. Maybe I've just gotten used to having a trainer by my side and going it alone is different and maybe a little intimidating.

So, lets say I stick with Strong Lifts. I increased my squat weight today and was fine. Then I got to the dreaded OHP and did the same damn thing I've done the last three times. I warm up with 40 pounds, no problem. I move to my working weight of 50 pounds and I can only do 3 reps. All five sets are 3 reps and I CAN NOT get that fricken bar over my head for a fourth time unless I do more of a clean and jerk...which is not an OHP! So I guess it's time to deload and drop back to 45 pounds? It's very frustrating.

Deload to 45 and see if you can complete the reps, for starters.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I do not actually agree with this sentiment. It should not be something you dread.

Re the stall - OHP is a total b!tch. Try SideSteel's suggestion of deloading. Also, try fractionals when you do go up in weights if you have access to them.

Can you pinpoint why you are not enjoying it - is it the lack of progress, the barbell being a PITA, the free weights section being 'intimidating'? Would you enjoy dumbbells more, or cable machines?
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Sorry Sara. I just realized that you had replied to this. I think my biggest issue is that I get frustrated when I don't feel like I'm doing something the best that I can. Saturday I got to the gym and was ready to kill it on squats and the squat rack was being used. Judging by the number of guys hovering around it, I knew it was going to be awhile so I used the leg press machine instead. I pushed myself on it but it felt like cheating. I hate having to rely on the squat rack because it is always being used unless I time it just right.

I've been using the fixed barbells for everything but dead lifts and squats. They have a really nice set in five pound increments. I could use an Olympic bar if one is available and put fractional weights on it.

I guess what I'm looking for is a routine that doesn't rely on the squat rack, or has an alternative to that when it's being used. And I think I'd feel like I'm getting more of a workout it I did a routine that had more than three lifts each time. I'm getting stronger. There is no doubt about that.

Thanks for all the help!
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    If you're following Strong Lifts then you're going to have to squat. Can you walk on a treadmill for a bit until the Squat Rack frees up? I'm in the same situation. my gym has only one rack at the moment and it's in constant use. I just try and warm up and wait my turn. Unfortunately since squats are at thecore of Strong Lifts there doesn't seem to be an alternative.

Have you asked to work in between someone's sets? Most people are pretty accomodating and we all have to rest so working in between's someone's set isn't that big of a deal.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Sorry Sara. I just realized that you had replied to this. I think my biggest issue is that I get frustrated when I don't feel like I'm doing something the best that I can. Saturday I got to the gym and was ready to kill it on squats and the squat rack was being used. Judging by the number of guys hovering around it, I knew it was going to be awhile so I used the leg press machine instead. I pushed myself on it but it felt like cheating. I hate having to rely on the squat rack because it is always being used unless I time it just right.

I've been using the fixed barbells for everything but dead lifts and squats. They have a really nice set in five pound increments. I could use an Olympic bar if one is available and put fractional weights on it.

I guess what I'm looking for is a routine that doesn't rely on the squat rack, or has an alternative to that when it's being used. And I think I'd feel like I'm getting more of a workout it I did a routine that had more than three lifts each time. I'm getting stronger. There is no doubt about that.

Thanks for all the help!

Swap out for bulgarian split squats if you cannot get to the squat rack.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    If you're following Strong Lifts then you're going to have to squat. Can you walk on a treadmill for a bit until the Squat Rack frees up? I'm in the same situation. my gym has only one rack at the moment and it's in constant use. I just try and warm up and wait my turn. Unfortunately since squats are at thecore of Strong Lifts there doesn't seem to be an alternative.

Have you asked to work in between someone's sets? Most people are pretty accomodating and we all have to rest so working in between's someone's set isn't that big of a deal.

I hear what you're saying but I would have to stand at the rack in order to get my turn. A lot of times I do ask how much longer they are going to be and if it's not too long, I'll wait. Over the summer, the gym has been full of high school boys who seem to love to congregate around the rack. That should be better now that they are back in school and if I go earlier in the day.

I'm not opposed to squats. I'm just wondering if there is a different program I could do now that I've been doing SL for awhile.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Swap out for bulgarian split squats if you cannot get to the squat rack.

Thank you! That's what I was looking for. An alternative that got the ETP seal of approval :)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Also, try fractionals when you do go up in weights if you have access to them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Taking OHP up fractionally, plus realizing that even 1 more rep per week, or 1 pound every week or two is still progress will go a looooong way to keep you from hating on this oh-so-awesome lift when there's no reason to be hating on it. Patience is key here.

If you're in the US, I highly recommend Fastenal 2-inch coated washers which fit the Olympic bar nicely (and if you buy 6 of them, it's all the fractionals you'll ever need that will cost you about $24). They each weigh roughly 0.6 pounds, which means that 2 of those on each side (4 total) will give you roughly 2.5 lbs. One on each side will give you roughly 1.2 lbs. If you can even add 1.2 or 2.5 lbs a week to your OHP, that's still progress. Which is awesome.

Because if you add up even a 1-pound/week increase over the span of 6 months or a year ... well, there you go.

I really like the OHP (I know I'm the oddball). I know it's difficult to progress with, and so any progression is a notch on your belt, so please be patient with yourself and that lift so you can reap the benefits in the long run. There is absolutely no shame in starting where you start and progressing as you are able.
    I'm getting stronger. There is no doubt about that.

And that's what it's all about. :flowerforyou:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    When you stall in StrongLifts, take off 10% off the weight and start over. But work back up doing it as a 3x5, not 5x5. I cannot stress tihs enough. 5x5 is NOT SUSTAINABLE. It's for the beginnerest of beginners. After you've stalled and reset 2 or 3 times, check your strength against the strength standard. You may have reached intermediate at that point, and then would be a good time to adjust your programming.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    When you stall in StrongLifts, take off 10% off the weight and start over. But work back up doing it as a 3x5, not 5x5. I cannot stress tihs enough. 5x5 is NOT SUSTAINABLE. It's for the beginnerest of beginners. After you've stalled and reset 2 or 3 times, check your strength against the strength standard. You may have reached intermediate at that point, and then would be a good time to adjust your programming.

Werd, follow the program regarding deloading weight, reducing sets, etc.. He recommends Madcow 5x5 afterwards which is similar but has slower progression. I use it and think it's great, I stalled out on SL within a month or two and I'm still going strong on Madcow a couple months later. After that pick something else if you want like 5/3/1 (common intermediate-> advanced program).

You have to squat pretty much no matter what. Change up your schedule to a less busy time, scout for a new gym or price out home equipment maybe?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Werd, follow the program regarding deloading weight, reducing sets, etc.. He recommends Madcow 5x5 afterwards which is similar but has slower progression. I use it and think it's great, I stalled out on SL within a month or two and I'm still going strong on Madcow a couple months later. After that pick something else if you want like 5/3/1 (common intermediate-> advanced program).

You have to squat pretty much no matter what. Change up your schedule to a less busy time, scout for a new gym or price out home equipment maybe?

You do not really *have* to squat. You can get good progress doing other lifts. Squats are more effective/efficient, but I honestly do not think it worth going out of your way to get a gym that has better access to a rack unless you like doing them and/or have goals that require squatting (comps etc).
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

You do not really *have* to squat. You can get good progress doing other lifts. Squats are more effective/efficient, but I honestly do not think it worth going out of your way to get a gym that has better access to a rack unless you like doing them and/or have goals that require squatting (comps etc).

Sorry, what I meant is pretty much any program is going to incorporate squats. Personally, if I couldn't squat safely (lack of equipment at home or gym), I think DLs and/or trap-bar DLs and/or some single leg work would be pretty sufficient.
  • bound4beauty
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice everyone!
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    tagging for the advice on stalls!
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Will need this advice when the stall kicks in.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I Would also recommend using the 2 1/2lb plates. for OHP and rows 5lb increase is still a good weekly increase.
This discussion has been closed.