whats your favorite eating disorder book?

Options
13»

Replies

• caterpillar3
    Options
    I really like "more than you can chew". Character is lovable and keeps the book somewhat lighthearted, but still hits home :) takes you through the ups and downs of getting over Ed.
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    "Eating in the Light of the Moon" by Anita Johnston, PhD

This book has been amazing and eye-opening for me. The subtitle is: how women can transform their relationships with food through myths, metaphors, and storytelling

Seriously, please look into this book, it's wonderful!
  • daggoneit
    daggoneit Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Wintergirls. I haven't read Wasted yet, but I'm going to soon.
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Next to Nothing - Carrie Arnold

I tend to read recovery books... I can't handle the triggers in some of the other stuff.
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I would have to say Wasted too. But I find that I typically start reading ED books when I'm starting to develop unhealthy eating thoughts and patterns so I try to stay away from them. They can just be really triggering to me. I remember in high school, back when my ED began (gosh am I really that old, that was 20 years ago!) that I read "Paper Dolls" - I think that was the name. And it sent me completely over the edge. I began using the tricks she mentioned and just getting deeper into the ED. That was when I started reading lots of books like that, more to be inspired to NOT eat and to steal their tricks. That was when I decided I would NEVER tell anyone my tricks, because I would not want them to use them!
  • rainydayvivi
    rainydayvivi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just read the GREATEST book called "Being Ana" -- super cheap on Amazon and SO insightful. Highly recommend!
  • i_will_lose
    i_will_lose Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved Wintergirls. My favorite so far.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I'm currently reading Wasted by Marya Hornbacher
    next I want to read Feminist Perspectives on Eating Disorders then Minding the Body

This is an old thread but I was so surprised to see someone mention Feminist Perspectives on Eating Disorders I wanted to comment. That book totally changed my life. Also, the Beauty Myth. It pissed me off, politicized me and got me to eat and empowered me to stop (most) of my ED behavior. It also ****ed up my credit, lol, because I refused to return it to the library and the Austin Public Library sent my late fee to a credit agency. I still have it on my shelf :) Everyone effecting by ED should read it.
  • GraceCamD
    GraceCamD Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    "Letting Ana Go" I don't know why it's a true story and she dies in the end, very sad, but im obsessed the book.
  • JULIEdance
    JULIEdance Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Unbearable Lightness is my favorite so far.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    For any men or transmen wanting a guy's perspective or just women who are curious about how they affect men, Nothing was a good read. I don't remember the author.. but I found it on Amazon. It's about a boy struggling with bulimia.

A Trick of the Light is, also, about a boy and deals with anorexia (can't remember the author of it, either..). It was not as good, and the female character seemed stereotypical and left a bad taste in my mouth. But it is worth the read, and does raise awareness to eating disorders in males.

Wintergirls was, also, a decent read.
  • dracolucas
    dracolucas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm so obsessed with Wintergirls, I barely read anything else unless its online. lol
    ~DracoLucas <3