Starting out

Options
Hi!

I was told to come here and pose my question to you.

I'm a newly diagnosed Celiac, been gluten free for about a month.

Just started lifting 3 X a week (mixture of upper and lower each time) and doing active recovery 2-3 times a week with one rest day.

I've been eating about 2000-2200 calories a day. (I don't log amazingly consistently, but I measure Everything) and the last two weeks have been very similar smaller meals throughout the day...my heartrate monitor averages about 500 calories burned a day at least (i don't always log exercise on MFP)

Question: is it normal to puff up the first few weeks? I'm gaining weight. I know eventually I'll be smaller and weigh more but this starting deal is kinda scary!

I'm wondering if I'm eating wrong...

I know I haven't logged enough for you to truly tell....but can I give you more information to help you give me some advice?

Thanks!

Alex

Replies

• alexandraleaden
    Options
    Hi!

I was told to come here and pose my question to you.

I'm a newly diagnosed Celiac, been gluten free for about a month.

Just started lifting 3 X a week (mixture of upper and lower each time) and doing active recovery 2-3 times a week with one rest day.

I've been eating about 2000-2200 calories a day. (I don't log amazingly consistently, but I measure Everything) and the last two weeks have been very similar smaller meals throughout the day...my heartrate monitor averages about 500 calories burned a day at least (i don't always log exercise on MFP)

Question: is it normal to puff up the first few weeks? I'm gaining weight. I know eventually I'll be smaller and weigh more but this starting deal is kinda scary!

I'm wondering if I'm eating wrong...

I know I haven't logged enough for you to truly tell....but can I give you more information to help you give me some advice?

Thanks!

Alex

I'm also wondering if my new celiac diagnosis and the new way of eating is part of this "change" or adjustment of gaining weight instead of loosing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I can see no reason for you to bloat when giving up gluten. Are you eating more other things or new things? Are your carbs or protein higher?

When you say that you measure but are not very consistent with logging . How often do you not log and do you use a digital scale?

Did your doctor diagnose you?
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    I can see no reason for you to bloat when giving up gluten. Are you eating more other things or new things? Are your carbs or protein higher?

When you say that you measure but are not very consistent with logging . How often do you not log and do you use a digital scale?

Did your doctor diagnose you?

Hi! Yes fully diagnosed Celiac - blood test and biopsy...real deal...

with that being said - I've cut out gluten completely the 3 - 4 weeks

the last two weeks have been 6 smaller meals a day, for now I'm going as healthy and simple as I can because of the celiac diagnosis....but I know from reading your posts I don't have to be entirely "clean" to get where I want to be.

lately what I've done is prepped my weekly meals 3 - 4 days out and input into MFP as I make them (input data for one day) and then because i made enough meals for a few days...I don't necessarily input them each day thereafter, lazy i know :(

I'm eating a lot more sweet potatoes and brown rice since no normal pasta allowed and this italian doesn't like the consistency of gluten free pasta (or I just haven't found one I like yet)

eating more calories, but as I said - added weights and trying to go heavy with those without hurting myself...

I lifted in college when I played ball, none of this every happened - that wasn't that long ago - so I can't blame this on horomones can i?

i look and feel like a marshmellow

let me know if need more info, I hope this helps
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What has your weight done over the last 4 weeks, in weekly increments
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    What has your weight done over the last 4 weeks, in weekly increments

weighed myself a few times in the last couple weeks, in the morning first thing..... slowly going up i was 152 a couple weeks ago... crept up to 161 at one point, then I put the scale away because it was freaking me out.

i would say increments of about 2 pounds... not really sure
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Without accurate information re intake it's really hard to try to pin down what it he problem may be (especially as you have cut out gluten which may have been causing bloat.)

Can you log accurately for the next 2 weeks and get back to us. Use a food scale whenever possible. Also, could you weigh yourself at the beginning and at least at the end of the two weeks (sorry)!
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    Without accurate information re intake it's really hard to try to pin down what it he problem may be (especially as you have cut out gluten which may have been causing bloat.)

Can you log accurately for the next 2 weeks and get back to us. Use a food scale whenever possible. Also, could you weigh yourself at the beginning and at least at the end of the two weeks (sorry)!

yes mam!

I'm thinking its just my body adjusting to the gluten free lifestyle COMBINED with starting to lift and get active again, for so long I felt like **** from the celiacs so I wouldn't do much.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    :smile:

Locking for admin purposes. Please PM either myself or SideSteel when you are ready to update us, including a link to this thread, and we will unlock so you can do so.
This discussion has been closed.