I should know better.....

Options
conniedj
conniedj Posts: 470 Member
I haven't been on MFP to look around in the last several days. Slow here on this board, and like a moth to the flame, I went to the dark side. Yes, I read some stooopid responses that a woman ( whom I invited to this forum) posted on gmo labeling.

What mean asshats are in the main forum. And---a few who think they are all educated and informed, but really chose to only look on one side of a story and call anything that doesn't agree with their point of view "quack". It pisses me off to no end! As if!

vent over.....that didn't take long did it? ; )

Replies

• Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Yup I saw that thread too and the steam rose a little. Not so much the uninformed comments they post, but the insults they hurl on top of it are so irritating! :angry:
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    It cracks me up when people demand a "peer reviewed scientific study", but wouldn't know one if it bit them in the *kitten*. The even funnier part is that you can't find one "peer reviewed scientific study" proving GMO's are safe but companies like Monsanto won't allow anyone but their own staff to "study" the effects of their products.

It's easier to just trust in the government to tell us its OK (even though their dietary recommendations change almost daily) and call anyone who questions it crazy, than it is to spend time researching the concerns and effects both to humans and the ecosystem.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I agree there is so much confirmation bias on the forums
  • conniedj
    Options
    I have been called an "F'ing Retard" on another forum when the person posted "over 600 safety studies" on GMO's. I have yet to see an actual long term safety study. I actually enjoy reading and extrapolating the info. Sorry----peer review studies are supposed to determine safety prior to introduction into the market NOT to prove harm after the fact. Their 'saftey" is based on substantial equivilance. What a fricking farce!!!

And Sluggz.... I totally agree on the whole calling anyone who questions the almighty govt "wearers of tinfoil hats". Wow. I love when that accusation pops up!

def. also agree on the level of confirmation bias as well.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It cracks me up when people demand a "peer reviewed scientific study", but wouldn't know one if it bit them in the *kitten*.

YES!!!
  • sluggz
    sluggz Posts: 134
    Options
    I want to add too... the burden of proof shouldn't lie on the side of proving they are dangerous. It should be on the producer to prove that a GMO product is NOT dangerous. There should be long-term studies by an unbiased third party before a "product" (i hate that food is a product now, and hate it more that food is an "industry") can be released into the food chain. My personal belief is that there should be ecological studies on top of that.
  • conniedj
    Options
    I want to add too... the burden of proof shouldn't lie on the side of proving they are dangerous. It should be on the producer to prove that a GMO product is NOT dangerous. There should be long-term studies by an unbiased third party before a "product" (i hate that food is a product now, and hate it more that food is an "industry") can be released into the food chain. My personal belief is that there should be ecological studies on top of that.

This is exactly what my thoughts are on the subject as well!
  • mom2kidds
    mom2kidds Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Oh Connie!!!! Thank you soooo much for the invite to this group!!!!

My GMO topic the other day was not a good time. I don't mind folks with different opinions than mine but when I'm not allowed to have my own opinion without being jumped on that's another story. I tried to stay civil and hang in there long enough to find some friends which I did get a few.

I've quickly looked around on this group and feel you invited me home. Thank you!!!!
    Not much time today but know I'm here when I can. Reading, learning and sharing, not judging or being judged! Yay!

~Kelley
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My GMO topic the other day was not a good time. I don't mind folks with different opinions than mine but when I'm not allowed to have my own opinion without being jumped on that's another story. I tried to stay civil and hang in there long enough to find some friends which I did get a few.

Yup. It's ridiculous. But you held your own very well.

Welcome to the group.
  • conniedj
    Options

Yup. It's ridiculous. But you held your own very well.

Welcome to the group.

Agreed! AND there were those of us yelling *asshat* in our heads while reading some of the responses....so there is that small comfort! lol.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there's an ongoing thread right now about school lunches and I was told that I want children to starve because of my views on school lunches :huh: I had typed up a big response but then just deleted it, not worth the effort to try and defend myself.

Lalalala :smokin:
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there's an ongoing thread right now about school lunches and I was told that I want children to starve because of my views on school lunches :huh: I had typed up a big response but then just deleted it, not worth the effort to try and defend myself.

Lalalala :smokin:

I've done the same thing. There is usually a group of 3 or 4 who can turn any post into their own name calling debate. One yells for scientific research, another posts it, a third says that study is a farce, the 4th brings childish sarcasm into the mix with how they "just love when idiots start spewing" and so on and so forth. from what i recall of that topic, she just wanted her products to be labeled. I agreed with her. i don't know how strawberries with frog genes got involved, but i didn't look at that post again after i saw that. just not worth the headache.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I don't know why the like to push their views on us
  • RunningRichelle
    Options
    There is usually a group of 3 or 4 who can turn any post into their own name calling debate. One yells for scientific research, another posts it, a third says that study is a farce, the 4th brings childish sarcasm into the mix with how they "just love when idiots start spewing" and so on and so forth. from what i recall of that topic, she just wanted her products to be labeled. I agreed with her. i don't know how strawberries with frog genes got involved, but i didn't look at that post again after i saw that. just not worth the headache.

I loved this! Hit the nail on the head. I've decided that instead of posting, I'm just going to review the posts and invite the people who are really trying to put the good info out there to our group. I think it's still important to post a topic in the general forums now and again, maybe to reach someone who hasn't had the lightbulb turn on yet, but I'm definitely done wasting my time with the above-mentioned circus. I want to spend my energy on you guys!
  • RunningRichelle
    Options
    I don't know why the like to push their views on us

I really think it's got to have something to do with insecurity. Most likely insecurity shoved way way down underneath an exterior of either toughness or arrogance or plain stubbornness.

I've gotten some really ridiculous responses in the past. I remember one woman responded with something so vociferous and hateful and acidic that I literally jaw-dropped at how angry I had inadvertently made her. You can definitely tell when you touch a nerve.
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I think it comes down to fear. People don't want to believe the boxed easy food or mass quantity meat products available at every huge store can be bad, because then they might have to put a ton of effort into working out new ways to eat, new ways to cook, taking time to learn how to shop, how to meal plan. It is a huge shift away from popular thought and thus it is fearful. Don't step off that well lit McDonalds path, stay on it forever but just eat a small fry and a small 'chicken' nugget thing and a small 'ice cream' shake thing and no one can prove you harmed yourself in any way, not if your calorie count was under 2000 for the day. I fear the 'Wal Mart Organic' meat and produce more than a mom and pop non organic basket of apples. Sometimes life can be so hard, being alive can be so hard, that the last thing someone can handle is having their food choices be hard as well. I get it.