Cafe Eatings

Options
mmipanda
mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
When you're going out for lunch, or if you just forgot to pack something to take to work - what do you eat?

Sometimes I forget that normal versions of food aren't paleo. I got a fritatta the other week and was so disappointed to find it covered in cheese.

Otherwise I stick to grilled chicken with veg, or vege soups. I have this huge aversion to actually ordering a salad for some reason.

Replies

• Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I usually don't.

But if I do, a big steak an potatoes/rice dish, or maybe an omelette. I also be sure to specify it has to be gluten free - you'd be surprised how much effort goes into the meal prep when they realise they could potentially hospitalise you.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Either a salad or a burger with no bun. The burger is a little bit risky, but I haven't gotten glutened doing it yet.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I usually get some sort of grilled meat with extra veges or a salad w/ olive oil & balsamic vinegar.

I try not to eat at fast food places, but sometimes I have no choice. So in that case I just get a bunless hamburger with a side salad (I love Five Guys burgers because they have a bunless menu).

At a diner then I usually get a couple of eggs (over medium) with a side of bacon.

I tend not to eat at Asian restaurants due to the fact that I'm allergic to wheat and they use regular soy sauce, which is 40-60% wheat (I use coconut aminos). But I'm sure you could find a work around if you just asked for meat & veges with sauces on the side.

Remember you are the customer and you need to be firm, but not rude when it comes to you getting what you want to eat the way you want it. I find most places are very accommodating and if they are not then I go else where!!!!!
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't have any food sensitivities or allergies, so I don't worry too much about being strict paleo when dining out--a little canola oil, grain, soy or even sugar isn't going to ruin me if it sneaks onto my plate. I do avoid items with these foods in the descriptions but I'm also not shy about asking for substitutions or changes.

I frequently order smoked hot wings, salads with oil & vinegar dressing, bunless burgers (I ordered an Italian beef sandwich without the bun recently, yum!), and omelets at casual places. Many restaurants offer some kind of veggies or salad on the side. If I'm going somewhere nice I usually order grilled steak or seafood with sweet potato and/or veggies/salad.
  • irishguns
    irishguns Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The only thing I really have to avoid is dairy. So if I'm eating out I will emphasize, no cheese. I don't order anything that has to be made with milk (or I ask if I'm not sure). But otherwise I'll go with a bunless sandwich/burger, a salad with grilled meat or some other meat and veggies combo. Honestly though, I only live 5-10 minutes from work so usually I'll just go home, eat something and relax for a minute then go back to work.