1st Bikini comp!!! Tips needed!! <3 xxxx

Options
adelesales
adelesales Posts: 3 Member
Hi there!!!!! I have been convinced to go in for my first bikini comp (9 weeks away). I have trained hard the past year and eaten super clean and hopefully I'm not TOO late in the game for it!!! But I'm just looking for general tips! I am doing this without a coach or trainer (mad I know) as I am studying personal training myself. I am so focused and determined and just hope I can pull this off if I give it my absolute all!!! Doing fasted moderate intensity cardio 5-6 times a week plus weight sessions everyday and then 15 mins HIT after. My days are split body part wise and training legs/glutes twice a week and one day as a whole body circuit - abs everyday! One rest day and one day of cardio and yoga/stretching. I am currently eating 1400 cals a day, macros at 45% protein, 35% carbs and 20% fats. I know that this will all change nearer the time tho!

My meals are currently:
Meal 1 (after morning cardio): 45g of rolled oats with 1 scoop of protein powder (or 2 egg whites instead) water and cinnamon.
Meal 2: 100g of chix and 15g of mixed nuts
Meal 3 (pre weights): 55g of sweet potato with 80g of tuna and brocolli/green beans OR quinoa/brown rice with 100g of chix breast and green veggies.
Meal 4 (post wo): 1 scoop of protein powder with water and a banana.
Meal 5: 100g fish of chicken with green veggies
Meal 6: 100g of chix and nuts (or sometimes I put natural peanut butter on it - don't judge!) Or I have a casein recipe I use with 15g of casein powder and egg white, 10g coconut flour (it makes a microwave ALMOST cake thing), which I put a little peanut butter on.

Been doing SO much research on this as I really want to immerse myself into it! There are so many ways to go about this, some people have got no carbs before weights and then a carb meal in the night to replenish....some people say don't do fasted cardio, it hurts my head and makes me panic - Am I doing the right thing?!

If anybody has ANY tips or anything to help on this I would really appreciate it!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart: :smile:

Adele xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you Adele! Really have not a friggen clue what I am doing, but I just keep doing research and finding out what works for me. I am "technically" doing this without a coach as well but a few people at the gym are helping me out with ideas for reshaping and toning. My macro's are similar to yours but my calories are higher (1600). I was "skinny fat" when I started so I am doing more cardio to drop my body fat percentage and slowly gaining on the weights.

I watch a zillion youtube video's, read tons of "diet" plans, stalk other ladies food diaries and am trying really hard to get a "magic formula" for this, but I have found I just try things and see if they work... like the begining of this week, I tried to even out my meals and found after two days of not having a huge breakfast that I felt like I was starving all day, so I went back to my huge breakfast and small snack in the morning and I am happy again. Same amount of calories just consumed at different times.

I am panicing too, so don't worry... I am 36 days out from my first competition. EEK!!

Best of luck to you and I hope you can find the advice/ guidance you are looking for.
    ~Connie
  • briana0522
    briana0522 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat too! Im doing my first one this year so I cant really say either way if you should change anything. I started prepping on my own but then realized I needed help. I just got a trainer this last week and I already feel a lot more confident in what I am doing. All I can say is make sure you lift heavy to really get some muscle tone because even Bikini competitors need a good amount of muscle. Good luck!!
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My credentials: I am a ISSA personal trainer, a fitness model, and bikini/figure competitor. I am also in the Army. I did my first bikini show in August 2012, and I am preparing for my first figure show (April 6th, 2013). I am a member of Team Evolution Online, a competition team.
    1st things first, fasted cardio:

This goes for almost everything diet wise: not the same thing works for everyone! If you see results with fasted cardio, then keep doing it. Me on the other hand, if I even think about leaving my house in the morning with out my preworkout snack, my stomach tries to punch me in the face. If I make it to the gym and on a machine, I'll get dizzy and perform terribly. So I never do anything fasted.

I weight lift first, which uses up the glycogen in my muscles, and burns up some of my preworkout snack. Once your body uses up all the glycogen/glucose (which is about the time I start my cardio), it switches to the aerobic oxidative pathway to create energy. That is the fat burning pathway. You can read more about that here (I wrote a pretty detailed essay about it): http://armyfitnesslife.blogspot.com/2012/02/3-ways-body-creates-energy.html

As you continue to diet, you will discover that you stay tired. That is the result of dieting and pushing your body. A day of increased calories (not a bunch of dirty foods, just increase in servings of your healthy clean foods) can help with that.

A final note about briana0522's comment about bikini competitor's needing muscle: Make sure you look at pictures and watch videos for the competition that you are doing! Last year, I got super sexy and ready, but in GA they do not like the harder look that I had. I placed 8th out of 15. My team owner says that if I had competed in NC with that same look, I would have smashed the competition. I made the mistake of looking at PRO bikini models, who do get very lean. Not all organizations, or states want the same thing for their competitors. So on April 6th I am doing figure in GA, but on April 27th I'm doing bikini in NC.

Well ladies, I hope I answered some of your questions!
  • adelesales
    adelesales Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you to all the replies to this!! I don't know how to make it so it notifies you when you get a reply as I have only just seen them!!!

It's tough eh! It's not a straight forward thing! I'm just going to give it all I've got and try not to take it TOO seriously - by that I mean I am going to stick to the nutrition/exercise to a T!!!!!!! BUT I am not going to expect to figure everything out/be completely happy this time around - going to treat it all as a learning curve - what works for me/what doesn't and just GO with it! :)

Next time (hopefully there will be one) I will be learning AGAIN and one day it will finally click for me!!! :)

Hard work will pay off I hope!! xxxxxxxxx
  • briana0522
    briana0522 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There is definitely a learning curve and just think you will be able to help your clients in the future if they have this kind of goal!! :) Give it everything you have!
  • mandyspark
    Options
    I would say, if at all possible go see a show with the organization you will be competing with, it's a real eye opener :) You can do this and it will be so worth it :)
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    mandysparks is right!! Went and watched one this weekend... it was a HUGH help and a great confidence booster. :) really helps the motivation!! :)
  • mandyspark
    Options
    For those just getting into competitions- I decided I wanted to see what went on backstage so i volunteered to help the tanning company at a show this upcoming weekend. They said they would love the help so I get to be there ALL day, I am so excited to see first hand what happens. I know it will help me get ready for a show
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    hi,

I'm a coach.

My tips:

1. focus on your body shape and your look.
    2. get your stage walk, makeup, hair honed. PRACTICE daily.
    3. don't do anything drastic.
    4. understand that you have to make multiple appearances at a governing body's circut of shows to get noticed.
    5. Don't take it personally. You will be critiqued on EVERYTHING from your nails, bikini line, celulite, skin color (don't get washed out in those white stage lights!), tone, smile, face, etc.
    6. take notes.
    7. Focus on the judges, only once or twice on the audience. The judges matter. no one else.

Your diet and training play a huge role in your body shape and look. Don't change or do anything drastic 2 weeks out from show time.

happy training!
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    At quick glance this doesn't look like 1400 calories or the macros you described. You have 2 small serving of carbs, but you said you have almost 500cals coming from carbs ---Am I missing something? 1 scoop of protein will never equal 2 egg whites---if, i'm wrong that will be great. like i said, just a glance, but not calculating properly could cause big problems.
  • MariahRea
    MariahRea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am also prepping for my first bikini competition and have quite a bit of weight to lose. I am not looking to compete until Nov 2013 or possibly March 2014. I will wait until my body is just right, but I will not give up on this goal. I have done a fitness model competition before, but that was 8 years ago. I had to lose 80 lbs for that, but I did it and I placed 3rd so I know I can do this. I have someone that is looking over what I eat and helping me with training. I am not even close to where I need to be yet, but I have lost 30 inches since I started almost 12 weeks ago.
  • SDleia
    SDleia Posts: 6
    Options
    I am also gearing for my first bikini comp in March 2014! It is scary and exciting. There is no formula or schedule to becoming stage-ready. Every body responds differently to changes in training and nutrition. My philosophy is: I will work really hard and try my best so that I am proud of the package I bring to the stage. I am enlisting a PT as a coach for the 16 weeks prior to show time, but for now I am training hard and eating clean. Good luck to all the beautiful competitors out there! xoxo :-)
  • IamSteveBlade
    Options
    So glad I came across this thread! Loving the tips and advice. Everyone is super helpful.

I have a ton of questions, but two of my biggest questions are how long do people usually start training before a competition, and two, do a fair amount of people go in without a trainer or a coach? Thanks so much!!!
  • deniselynn13
    deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I am also starting to train for my first competition. I am officially starting training in the 26th of this month and my show won't be till April. I still have a ways to go before i am ready, so i hope the long length of time will be beneficial.

Currently, i am doing this on my own with the help of my husband as my "coach." Down the road that might change but i am trying to watch costs.

Good luck to everyone!

Denise