Paleo substitutions

Options
kikih64
kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
Hi all!

So I'm almost through my second week of paleo and haven't found it to be difficult yet. I'm loving the food! I was afraid I would have fewer choices, but if I just give a little thought to my meal plans, it's really interesting.

I found I was missing bread a little bit, so I tried a recipe using ground flax. Very delicious with almond butter! For missing cereal, I made a nut and seed granola with honey - also amazing. I am looking forward to trying paleo pancakes and no-oatmeal soon. (trying to limit sugar right now).

Someone recommended using chopped nuts instead of bread crumbs for dishes that need that. Are there any other good subsitutions? I used to eat a lot of pasta, so that's probably the next thing I'd like to find. I have so many recipes that just need a little tweak to become paleo.

Thanks for any advice!!

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I've heard of using zucchini for pasta and there is a special tool for it. I use almond flour and almond milk.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    For pasta, I use zucchini, yellow squash, and sometimes carrots. Use a julienne peeler if you want spaghetti-like zoodles, or a regular peeler to make wider strips for lasagne or fettucini depending on the size of your squash. My boyfriend now prefers zoodles to traditional pasta.

I have baked or pan-fried fish with a coating of crushed pecans or almond meal with good results.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I've also fried fish with coconut flour crust--yum!
  • kikih64
    Options
    Thanks! Appreciate the help! :smile:
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    A good one I found is to use chia seeds because they absorb liquid in place of bread crumbs/flour in things like meatballs, meatloaf etc. And to have a gravy thickened without flour/cornstarch I made it with mushrooms (blended til smooth) butter and meat juices YUM!
  • thenance007
    thenance007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use the Tofu Shiratake noodles, especially fettuccini and spaghetti. If you rinse them well, then pop them in a microwave for 2 minutes and drain them, or dry-fry them in a skillet to remove excess moisture, they are great for chicken curry and most anything else you'd use noodles in. They have 40 calories in an 8 oz. bag that can serve 2 people, and are made with healthy glucomannan flour, which is a soluble fiber. For me, they are the difference that allows me to give up pasta, my downfall.
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    But tofu's not paleo!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Slice a sweet potato/kumara into little circles and microwave for ten minutes topped with cinammon.

Tried it yesterday trying to make chips... but legit tasted like cookies.
  • sallydurkin
    sallydurkin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Use rice cauliflower rice instead of rice love the cauliflower more.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My dd made flaxseed brownies once -- she mistook the ground flax for almond meal. The brownies were incredibly fudgy and rich. (Of course that was some months ago, before we went paleo, so it was definitely not "paleo" if you catch my drift, what with the sugar.)
  • Tophermak
    Tophermak Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    For bread crumbs we found using good quality pork rinds (ingred. pork, lard, salt) when run thru the food processor work great. Just spice it up however you would like. Riced cauliflower is amazing, you would never know that is was cauliflower. There are so many recipes for so many things online. I swear almost everything has been paleofied one way or another. Good luck and stick with it. After a few weeks without grains/processed foods it pretty easy to push off any cravings anyhow.
  • Tophermak
    Options
    Slice a sweet potato/kumara into little circles and microwave for ten minutes topped with cinammon.

Tried it yesterday trying to make chips... but legit tasted like cookies.

Ok, this I'm gonna have to try. . . I love sweet potato, i love cinnamon, but the two together could be just epic!!
  • Tophermak
    Options
    I've heard of using zucchini for pasta and there is a special tool for it. I use almond flour and almond milk.

Tool is a mandolin maybe. . .that's what my wife uses for slicing zucchini into pasta strips for lasagna, she just lays it flat out on papertowels and salts it a bit to help remove some of the excess liquid before using but to each their own.
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Tool is a mandolin maybe. . .that's what my wife uses for slicing zucchini into pasta strips for lasagna, she just lays it flat out on papertowels and salts it a bit to help remove some of the excess liquid before using but to each their own.

This is what I use to make veggie noodles: http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-A4982799-Tri-Blade/dp/B0007Y9WHQ/

I also use it to make sweet potato chips! Yum!
  • kikih64
    Options
    I appreciate all the great suggestions. I'll have to look into cauliflower rice and "zoodles". I'm making meatballs and sauce tomorrow night and have decided to try spaghetti squash for the noodles.

I knew there had to be other uses for chia seeds! We bought a bag a while back, and the most I ever did with it was sprinkle in oatmeal or into muffins (pre-paleo!).

I don't know that I've ever seen pork rinds, but that sounds pretty good to me.

I've looked up some paleo desserts to try since I am missing my ice cream. I've been doing good about cravings, really haven't had any. I just know that if I'm going to try to stick with this I need to have some options available when I want a dessert.

Someone brought brownies to the office yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised that when I stopped to just smell them, they really didn't even smell good to me. Too heavy or something. I think that's definitely progress!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the great suggestions. I'll have to look into cauliflower rice and "zoodles". I'm making meatballs and sauce tomorrow night and have decided to try spaghetti squash for the noodles.

Spaghetti squash rocks. It's one of the few squashes that I love to eat. You can have quite a bit of fun with the spices in the sauce, too, since the squash has only a mild flavor of its own.
  • moewmoew
    Options
    An easy 1 ingredient ice cream is to blend up a couple frozen chopped bananas until they're smooth and pop them back in the freezer to re-freeze. You can add strawberries to it for a different flavour.
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    SPAGHETTI SQUASH! It's fun to eat and can take the place of spaghetti in anything. Also a bar of 86% chocolate melted with chopped macadamia nuts to make a bark. Really kills the sweet and the chocolate craving.
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options

after roasting the spaghetti squash i like to saute it with some garlic and ghee then add a litte evoo right before serving, it really takes it to the next level!
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I use the Tofu Shiratake noodles, especially fettuccini and spaghetti. If you rinse them well, then pop them in a microwave for 2 minutes and drain them, or dry-fry them in a skillet to remove excess moisture, they are great for chicken curry and most anything else you'd use noodles in. They have 40 calories in an 8 oz. bag that can serve 2 people, and are made with healthy glucomannan flour, which is a soluble fiber. For me, they are the difference that allows me to give up pasta, my downfall.

Tofu isn't Paleo!

I haven't really come across anything I miss enough to find a substitution for. I have had to make my own BBQ sauce and kethcup though