Calcium where do you get yours?

Options
OhLeita
OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
Other than dairy and supplements/antacids what else is a good source of calcium?

Replies

• AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I asked this once a colleague of mine, a pediatrician, because our son hates milk about as much as I do.
    She told me that broccoli was an excellent source (which was, at that time among son's favorite vegetables).

Other good sources should be: paksoi, tofu, sesamseed, rocket (Rucola? I don't know the right translation in English) beans and peas, figs, almonds and other nuts...
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    dairy is about it for me, short of broccoli and nuts. I know you said besides dairy, but I use plain nonfat yogurt (I use it generously instead of sour cream as well as in fruit parfaits), cheese (sparingly) and I supplement as well. I hate milk but have it in protein shakes and cereal. I get the calcium chews (caltrate) so it's like having a candy treat. I would love to hear what other people use....
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Besides a lot of dairy, I get mine from fortified cereal and oatmeal, spinach, kale, broccoli and white beans. When I make a burrito I always add in spinach and white beans. I always add kale to soups and smoothies.I have strong bones, I have had the density test done.
  • OhLeita
    OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm overdue for a bone density test. Insurance covers some of it, I think, but still paying off $20,000 in medical bills has me hesitating before doing any more testing. In the meantime, the suggestions here are great, thank you!
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    That was interesting - didn't realise so many fruit and veg carried calcium.