third times the charm

Options
2»

Replies

• OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    The description of "actively pursuing" makes it sound kind of sketchy. I don't think I've ever "actively pursued" any of my friendships. They just sort of happen. I meet someone through a mutual friend or just by striking up a random conversation or by participating in a common event and the person either seem interesting or they don't.

There is effort and follow through but "actively pursuing" sounds like you are manipulating situations so that you can interact with the other person.

Well, honestly this conversation came about because of a situation I am currently in with a former co-worker. He is married, but every couple of weeks or so he would IM me while at work and we'd chat for a while. By the time I was about to leave, our "chats" could last up to two hours. When I left he asked for my phone number and since I've moved out here has called me three times. I haven't really thought anything of it because he does talk about his wife positively and seems to genuinely enjoy his life. However, I've had a couple friends tell me that I "crossed the line" by giving him my phone number and that I'm essentially engaging in an affair with him. I don't think I am, but I would be interested to see what you guys thought. Personally, if I met his wife tomorrow I would enjoy meeting her and have no sense of shame for the friendship I have with her husband. Thoughts?

Three calls in how long? You've been there a month or so, haven't you? For my money, that sounds like he enjoys chatting with you about a common interest, like I do with many of my male friends. Maybe he doesn't have a lot of friends where he is, or no-one who shares that particular interest. Assuming the conversation is general and doesn't veer over into the deeply personal and intimate, you've got nothing to worry about - it's a friendship, nothing more, and nothing to be ashamed of. I think the fact you'd have no qualms about meeting his wife is a pretty good sign that you know it's above board - if your friends hadn't overreacted, you'd likely never have questioned it, unless it started going somewhere it sounds like it hasn't. Contact may drop off now you're further away, as he finds someone else to chat to at work, or it may remain as it is, and you've (if you want to be friends with him) acquired a good friend.

Yes, I've been out here for about three weeks. Our common interest is opera. He's from an Italian-American family (very common in the Boston area), and grew up listening to opera with his grandfather, so he enjoys talking to someone in his age range who also loves opera. I'm sure you can imagine there aren't many people in their late 20's to early 30's who love opera all that much, so to find someone who actually sings it is, I'm sure, quite a treat :smile:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    The description of "actively pursuing" makes it sound kind of sketchy. I don't think I've ever "actively pursued" any of my friendships. They just sort of happen. I meet someone through a mutual friend or just by striking up a random conversation or by participating in a common event and the person either seem interesting or they don't.

There is effort and follow through but "actively pursuing" sounds like you are manipulating situations so that you can interact with the other person.

Well, honestly this conversation came about because of a situation I am currently in with a former co-worker. He is married, but every couple of weeks or so he would IM me while at work and we'd chat for a while. By the time I was about to leave, our "chats" could last up to two hours. When I left he asked for my phone number and since I've moved out here has called me three times. I haven't really thought anything of it because he does talk about his wife positively and seems to genuinely enjoy his life. However, I've had a couple friends tell me that I "crossed the line" by giving him my phone number and that I'm essentially engaging in an affair with him. I don't think I am, but I would be interested to see what you guys thought. Personally, if I met his wife tomorrow I would enjoy meeting her and have no sense of shame for the friendship I have with her husband. Thoughts?

Three calls in how long? You've been there a month or so, haven't you? For my money, that sounds like he enjoys chatting with you about a common interest, like I do with many of my male friends. Maybe he doesn't have a lot of friends where he is, or no-one who shares that particular interest. Assuming the conversation is general and doesn't veer over into the deeply personal and intimate, you've got nothing to worry about - it's a friendship, nothing more, and nothing to be ashamed of. I think the fact you'd have no qualms about meeting his wife is a pretty good sign that you know it's above board - if your friends hadn't overreacted, you'd likely never have questioned it, unless it started going somewhere it sounds like it hasn't. Contact may drop off now you're further away, as he finds someone else to chat to at work, or it may remain as it is, and you've (if you want to be friends with him) acquired a good friend.

Yes, I've been out here for about three weeks. Our common interest is opera. He's from an Italian-American family (very common in the Boston area), and grew up listening to opera with his grandfather, so he enjoys talking to someone in his age range who also loves opera. I'm sure you can imagine there aren't many people in their late 20's to early 30's who love opera all that much, so to find someone who actually sings it is, I'm sure, quite a treat :smile:

Honestly I think your fine. YOur friend is overreacting. All you guys do is talk about a hobby of his ..It would be like talking football. Infact the fact that he has mentioned his wife and that they are happy was probably so you would know he wanted to just be friends.
  • azhcanedition
    azhcanedition Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I tend to follow the rule of the ex.

If it's an ex, it's not kosher that she feels a need to go ex first for problems. And an ex is any guy that she's "had fun" or messed around with" even without an official relationship. It reeks of unresolved issues and I've been down that road...
  • JamesRustler
    JamesRustler Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I can't even believe this is even a topic. I have plenty of female friends (attractive ones at that!) and I would never ditch them for some woman I just started dating. I've put every single one of my female friends in the "friend-zone" a long, long time ago. They pose absolutely zero thread whatsoever.

There's also something called trust. If you can't trust your partner around his/her own friends, how could you trust them when they have a boys/girls night out?
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    My current boyfriend has a lot of female friends and he says that his bff is a girl.
    They talk a lot, he talks about them, he visits them when he is back home and it doesn't really bother me.
    I guess I have enough trust in him and confidence in myself that I don't worry about it.

Mind you, if they lived here and he hung out with them a lot and didn't invite me I would have to wonder why. Thankfully I don't have that issue to worry about. But he honestly doesn't seem like the type not to involve me. I have been involved in everything since day one.

ETA: I don't have a lot of male friends, but if I did I would have the common respect. If I was wanting to hangout with him I would make it more a couple things and my bf would be invited, etc.

I do have a few male friends on MFP and such that is nice to go too should I need a mans perspective.
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options

Honestly I think your fine. YOur friend is overreacting. All you guys do is talk about a hobby of his ..It would be like talking football. Infact the fact that he has mentioned his wife and that they are happy was probably so you would know he wanted to just be friends.

That's pretty much what I thought. I think that's why I was so confused when my friend told me I was carrying on an affair with this man!

James, I agree. I have a feeling that not being able to trust one's partner tends to have a lot to do with personal insecurity. I don't have the emotional energy to sit up wondering if my partner is out there cheating on me with everyone!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Kim I agree...if I'm just sitting around I would be offended if my boyfriend/ husband went to hang out with their female friend. It would be suspicious if they didn't invite me.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I think your topic is very normal. I have a few good female friends at work that I shoot relationship advice to and they bounce their issues off me as well. There's certainly nothing going on there but it is really nice to have a 3rd party to talk to outside the relationship . Obviously there is a fine line here of what is ok and what is not but that mostly comes down to trust and knowing your partner
  • grum84
    grum84 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have quite a few females friends, several who are very close and have been that way for quite a while. I would never ditch my female friends because a gf wanted me to. I prefer to just introduce my gf to my friends, and usually they all become friends with each other. If someone wanted to dictate who I could and couldn't hang out with, it wouldn't last very long.

I did have an EX-girlfriend that was very insecure with herself, and hated the fact that I spent time with other females. I couldn't do it with all the jealousy and such. Granted she was an hour away, so wasn't able to join in a lot of the spur of the moment events we would all go to. I could only reassure her so many times that they were friends, she was my partner, and that is it. Finally just broke it off after a night out with her and my friends, who she was treating like dirt.