New to this group and new to diabetes

Options
Hi all.

I recently got the diagnosis. Ironically this is after spending the last 7 months or so losing around 50 pounds and never feeling better. I'd already changed the way I was eating and thought I was doing well. Not really sure now. I'm looking at sugar and carbs as per the tiny amount of info my doc gave me.

It's all kind of overwhelming, especially since I'm on metformin and it's not really sitting well with me.

I'm looking forward to skimming through the posts and hopefully learning from you all.

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Raizie and welcome to this group. Getting a diagnosis of Diabetes is often a cause for concern and many of us in this group will empathise with your feelings. The good news is that with a disaciplined approach and the proper application of the MFP programme the vast majority of people in this group have gained a really good level of control and are leading healthy and active lives. You have already taken a number of really important steps in terms of your diet which is great. A very important thing to learn is that diabetes is a very individual condition. What works for me may not work for you. It really is a case of each of us findingg the best course for us and then sticking to that like glue. Having said that there are a number of steps which we all need to take. If you haven't yet been booked on a diabetes education course then you should ask for that as soon as possible. Information is power and the more you know the better equipped you will be to deal with your condition. There are a huge number of threads in this group dealing with all sorts of issues and giving some great reference sources. Take your time to read over the threads and get a feel for the site. When you're ready to ask questions you will find that there are lots of genuine people on here who will be able to give you all the support and encouragement you need. The input and determination however has to come from you. I wish you well on your journey to a healthy and active lifestyle and will certainly help in any way I can.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Welcome Raizie! There is a lot of good information contained in the posts here, so do browse through them!

The main side effect of metformin is gastro-intestinal distress. The first week can be rough, but for most people, the effects dissipate over time, so hang in there. It may be helpful to take met with a meal and/or ramp up slowly to your prescribed dosage.

I found tons of eay-to understand information here when I was first diagnosed.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.php

The recommendation to "eat to my meter" helps lower my A1c from 7.3 at diagnosis to 5.1 currently and I've been off meds for 3 months now.
  • mclgo
    mclgo Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi There!
    I'm still rather new at this too. Diagnosed in May.
    Like Robert said, it's a very individual thing. Also was KDIPIAZZ said is true - eat to your meter. What drives up your blood sugar is also very indivdualized. I can eat popcorn but for some people it's a no-go. But keep the quinoa away from me!

I found lots of great information and support here, and I'm sure you will too.

Welcome to the club.

Margaret
  • Raizie
    Raizie Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome.

My doctor was supposed to be sending me info and a referral for diabetes education but she has somewhat dropped the ball. She called me with the results of my lab work, gave me the news over the phone, rattled off a bunch of stuff, phoned in a script and then went on vacation.

I don't begrudge the poor gal a holiday, but she started me at what turns out was a very high dosage of metformin. Then I spent all day Monday sick as a dog. After three days at 1000mg twice a day I thought I was dying. When I called the backup doc she saw me right away and helped me a lot. She has me on 500mg once a day for a week, then I'll up it to twice a day and see how it goes.

My doc didn't give me any real info - not even about testing my BG. I did research but figured I could wait to get the referral from the doc. Backup doc showed me how to test my BG and I'll be getting a kit as soon as I can get to the pharmacy. The whole idea kind of freaks me out. I'm a big baby about needles. I might have to have Hubs help me with the finger stick. LOL
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bless your heart. 500mg of Met 2x a day is the standard starting dosage. No wonder your body is rebelling!

I'm new to this too...3-months since diagnosis. My doc wasn't real helpful either. She passed me off to a ditsy nutritionist who is the one helping me adjust my met dosage. I've come to the conclusion that no one is going to take better care of me, than me. So it goes.

Shocked I can handle a little bread, so long as it doesn't have peanut butter on it, but I've found that pineapple and cantaloupe totally out of the question.

Your meter will become your new best friend. Truly, the testing is not bad at all. I find the pad/outside edge of the ring finger is the least painful. No matter what finger you choose, the pain goes away quick.

Welcome aboard. Add me as a friend if you like.

Celeste
  • dmorre84
    dmorre84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. i am new to the group but not diabetes. I have had diabetes for 2 years and 3 months. I was not good with it in the beginning, I think that I am doing much better. In Sept of last year my doctor told me that if I lost 30 more pounds that I could come off of my medication and just continue to monitor my diabetes. Well wouldn't you believe I found out i was pregnant 2 months later. I did great during my pregnancy (didn't gain any weight). I am currently 3 weeks post baby and getting back into trying to lose weight again. I don't count carbs, I do calorie counting and exercise (that is what works for me). My currant goal is to lose 20 pounds.
  • Raizie
    Options
    Thanks Celeste.
    I'm getting my monitor tomorrow. I'll let you know how the stabbing goes. LOL
  • Raizie
    Options
    Congrats on your baby! And good luck with those last pounds.