Continuous Monitoring

Options
I was intrigued recently to watch a BBC TV programme titled Monitor Me which was broadcast as part of the Horizon series. One of the presenters referred to a website called The Quantified Self which was developed to support and encourage those people who wished to take responsibility for managing their own health. I was particularly intrigued when a Dr Eric Topol from {Strikes Green ??? hospital ??? in California) demonstrated an app which enabled him to continuously monitor his blood glucose without using the standard finger prick method. The app is apparently offerd by DEXCOM. I wondered if anyone else had come across this concept.
I realise that as diabetics we have a constant battle against a degree of predjudice from the medics and advisers responsible for our care. It appears to me that the threat of the so called 'worried well 'looms large in the mind of decision makers and more acutely the budget holders. Where our American friends are today the rest of us will often be tomorrow. Any thoughts or feedback would be welcome.

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    It's called a CGM (continuous glucose monitor). A tiny sensor is implanted under the skin and transmits BG readings to an external monitor. You only wear it for about a week though - the sensor isn't designed for long-term use and needs to be replaced (adding to the cost)

I'd love to be able to experiment with one!! Unfortunately, it's expensive and difficult to get approval for use unless one meets certain criteria. I'm not sure what the criteria is, but my endocrinologist said I wouldn't be fulfilling that particular dream any time soon.
  • celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I first got diagnosed, I wanted a CGM and still do. I priced them out and they run @$400. It just made so much sense to me for as accurate as possible picture of how my body copes with fasting and food. I asked my doc for one and was told insurance wouldn't cover it...only for T1's.

Here are some great tutorials from Dexcom to learn more about them. I'm with you in that I think it would be an invaluable tool.
  • Sarah0237
    Sarah0237 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It sounds interesting. Is this a prototype? I would like to see more development and research of the CGM to see if it's worth the $$$.