MCT oil....what's your experience ?

Options
Debbiedebbiey
Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
Just curious MFPs, mines on the way (amazon) interested in benefits or side effects when used with keto.

Replies

• kgoodman0108
    Options
    It's great, just be sue to gradually increase the amount you use. I sometimes use it in bulletproof coffee. The first time I poured in 3-4 tbsp and it made me sick to my stomach. I would start off with a tablespoon or less and see how your stomach reacts, and go from there.

MCT gives me so much energy!
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I use about 2-3 tbsp per day. 1 tbsp per cup of coffee. I think it's great- I have a jolt of energy to work out and it dulls my appetite. The only side effect that I've experienced is getting a little jittery, but that dissipated with time. MCT is great for keto because its a fat that acts like a carbohydrate (I.e. a unit of energy) but it isn't stored as fat in your cells, your body readily utilizes it for energy. It also helps you get into ketosis faster and become fat adapted.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    We've been doing bulletproof coffee since January. Initial recipe was 1.5 TB Kerry gold + 1 TB coconut oil (plus the cocoa powder). The we transitioned to 1.5 TB butter, 1/2 TB coconut oil, 1/2 TB MCT. Now we are doing 1.5 TB butter, 1 TB MCT. I think since we transitioned slowly, I didn't notice a big shift with jitteriness or stomach issues.

Note - there's a brand of MCT on Amazon "Silk Road". Price is reasonable, and it's on Prime. DO NOT BUY. It comes as a plain brown plastic bottle with home-printed labels. It MIGHT be MCT. Who knows though. it could be vegetable oil in that bottle. It definitely does not match what's shown on the picture. I'm using NOW Foods currently, and have also bought from the Bulletproof Executive. I haven't had any luck finding anything local, so we've had to order online.
  • vickiwo55
    Options
    Hi! Ditto on what everyone else has said: I use it in my coffee and it gives me TONS of energy! I LOVE it! I use it with raw butter (from my CSA) or coconut oil and a little vanilla stevia (I'm trying to give up stevia, but can't quite get rid of it in my coffee yet.) I love it! It does make me flush a little bit but I'm a redhead and blush very easily. It almost feels like a mini hotflash..not uncomfortable but just a quick flushing of my face. This only happens like twice, certainly not all day. I've had no digestive issues with it at all. =)
  • 2bmeagain12
    2bmeagain12 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I started using it over a month ago with my BPC. I noticed a great increase in energy and focus. But I too will get a little "hot flash" from time to time. It passes quickly and is worth the trade off. I use the NOW brand.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Is MCT oil in liquid form? I do add coconut oil to my coffee which I like but obviously the coffee is hot so the coconut oil mixes in with my little whisk.

Sometimes though I don't fancy coffee and toyed with the idea of adding coconut oil to my protein shake but I have that cold so it wouldn't mix in right. Would MCT oil mix in ok with a cold shake?
  • Jasmine_James
    Jasmine_James Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'll second everything above. It is great -- it makes all the difference in my energy level for the day, as well as mental clarity. That said, definitely ease into it to get a feel for what amount your body can handle. Personally, I'm best at .5 - 1 TBSP. In the past I've gone up to 2 or even 3 TBSP, but I've had some adverse side effects at those levels; I get jittery, my stomach gets upset, but also I've experienced some anxiety and almost panic-attack-type symptoms from going overboard.

I also use the NOW brand from Amazon.
  • enam_frist
    Options
    what kind of coffee do you use for your bullet proof coffee? I am in rural area and do not have any health food stores, although when I visit my brother there is a trader joes he takes me too...ha
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    what kind of coffee do you use for your bullet proof coffee? I am in rural area and do not have any health food stores, although when I visit my brother there is a trader joes he takes me too...ha

Officially, you're supposed to use coffee that is free of mycotoxins, which is a type of mold. Coffee isn't tested for this, so any coffee could potentially have this.

Having it come from a health food store and buying organic doesn't ensure that it's mycotoxin-free. Mycotoxins occur through how the coffee is grown and processed.
    How Can You Find Mycotoxin-Free Coffee?
    By following these tips, you can enjoy your cup of joe without having it ruin your health.

1. Drink coffee that has been made via wet processing. Because mycotoxins often form during the drying process, wet beans are much less likely to contain them than dry beans.

2. Do not drink decaffeinated coffee. Caffeine actually protects coffee beans from the growth of mold and can prevent large amounts of mycotoxins from growing.

3. Choose arabica beans over robusta beans. Though robusta varieties do have higher levels of caffeine, they also contain more mycotoxins.

4. Consider the environment in which your beans are grown. Because mold is less apt to grow at higher elevations, buying beans that have been harvested in the mountains of Central America is a great way to decrease the amount of toxins in your coffee.

5. Stay away from blends. Though blended coffees may taste good, there really is no way of telling where the different bean varieties have come from. Try to stick to single estate products rather than the major brand names.

6. Steam is an agent that can help break down toxins, so if all else fails, order an Americano.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/034063_mycotoxins_coffee.html#ixzz2e7RzYEv6
  • beccanye1
    Options
    Hi Everybody, I'm new but have been eating healthy including good fats, learning new information and I was wondering about MCT oil. I can't wait to get some in my coffee. Today is my first day grain free,my carbs were low and i didn't realize it was net carbs. I'm so excited to find this group. Makes me want to shout ...happy, happy happy.