Shin splints :/

Options
Aeyja
Aeyja Posts: 3 Member
I am running my first half marathon in a little under a month, but my shins are really starting to give me grief to the point where I can even feel them while walking. My shoes still have a fair bit of life in them (I hope) so I don't think they are the problem. What can I do to lessen the pain and avoid any serious damage?

Replies

• WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    If it were me I'd take (at least) 4 consecutive days off running in a row right now, doing low impact cross training in the mean time. I'd also increase my magnesium, potassium, calcium and iron consumption, also making sure to get maintenance calories for recovery.

Aside from that, drink lots of water, stretch, ice, maybe get a massage. After 3-4 days of rest go do a short run on a flat soft surface, if the pain comes back, I'd seek help/advice from a sports therapist and go from there in terms of seeing the extent of damage and proper diagnosis.
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    Sorry to hea about that. I was training for a half and 1 week out I got a really painful case of shin splints. Unfortunately I have to miss the race. I think it was about 4 or 5 days before I could run on a soft surface again, but within a couple of weeks I was back at my routine.. Lots of stretching and icing!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    RICE, Aleve, reassess your shoes.
  • mellorunner
    Options
    Ice, stretch, asprin.

On top of that, start working strengthening exercises. One of the first sets of exercises I started when I encountered shin splints (which cost me almost an entire outdoor track season my freshman year of college) were lower leg/ankle exercises.

Walk on your heels
    Walk on the outside of your feet
    Walk on the inside of your feet
    Walk backwards on your toes

Each walk should be about 20 meters or so in length. In addition, consider looking for exercises to strengthen your glutes, especially the glute medius. Often shin splints are caused, at least in part, by a weak glute medius, which allows the knee the splay inward when the foot contacts the ground. This movement puts stress on the body and can result in shin spints. One possible exercise to address this issue is a one legged squat, making sure to keep the knee in a straight line (no movement inward).

Hope that makes sense. Shin splints suck.
  • mellorunner
    Options
    Double posted
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions. Another cause of shin splints is taking too long of a stride so you should also see if shortening up helps
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions. Another cause of shin splints is taking too long of a stride so you should also see if shortening up helps

Yeah, I was going to ask if you have access to anyone that could look at your stride? I had to make some adjustments in my stride (my symptom was lower back soreness after long runs) and making a few minor changes made all the difference.
  • yogajess11
    yogajess11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ditto the reassess your shoe comment. Understand the shoe may have life left on it, but since its your first half, you may not have found a good fitting (size, fit, brand) shoe for you yet for long distance running. I would recommend heading to a local running store (fleet feet or whatever local running specific shop) to get properly fitted. They will also put you on a treadmill and assess your stride! Bonus!
  • Aeyja
    Aeyja Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions! Re. the shoes - I went to Shoe Clinic and spent about an hour there running on a treadmill and assessing my movement, so the shoes are the right fit I think. I might go back and talk to them again though, see if it is my stride or something.

I really don't want to have to skip the race since I'm doing it for charity and a lot of people have sponsored me already :/

Mellorunner, I will try those exercises, thank you! It wouldn't surprise me if it is weak glutes and ankles - I was never particularly active before this year so I guess my body isn't as strong as I want it to be lol :)
  • watermstry
    watermstry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    4 days off should be enough. Definitely RICE. I found wrapping with Vet Tape very soothing during runs. Move to a softer surface, if possible. If grass or dirt aren't available, then a decent track is better than the road.