Anything but the hair!

Options
So, couple years ago, got diagnosed with hypo, no hashis, was on meds for almost a year when my endo instructed me to go off to see if my thyroid had rebounded. My levels held steady for almost 6 months before heading south again. Endo had me start up on 25 mcg of levothyroxine, just doubled that a week ago, probably end up uping it again after the next blood work.

Now, the first time I started with levothyroxine, I had tremors and jitters along with some trouble sleeping for about a week and a half. That I could deal with! But, this time around, I'm losing my hair! I've never had so much hair loss before! Showers, brushing, just running my hands through it! Clumps of hair! It's horrifying! Now, being 21, I've already had the shock of finding my first dozen gray hairs, which, compared to losing it, is nothing!

Anyone else out there had this side effect when starting up on their meds?

Replies

• Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    oops, I didn't see this post till now. I just posted pretty much the same thing! For me it seems like some weeks it's more than others. I guess for me, a lot of it prob has to do with the fact that I have been trying to find the right med/dose. Now that I think I have, I am hoping the loss will stop or at least slow the heck down. I'm starting to freak out like you are. Agreed: a few gray hairs is now no problem.
    Hope someone out there has some hopeful news for us!
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    I definitely had the hair loss for the first 4ish months of treatment (started in March). Only my most recent blood work has come back with everything in the normal range (TSH under 2, FT3 & FT4 right around or just over the midway point in the normal range.) My hair is no longer falling out at an alarming rate, so I am hopeful that with the right dose and a few more months, my hair will reverse trend completely and start growing back in.

I have been super-vigilant about my iron (ferritin) levels, D3 levels, and have been supplementing with Biotin and a good multivitamin daily as well.

My thyroid levels seem to have stabilized on my latest dose, and I started supplementing with D3 at about the same time (I was quite low). So it could be either of those, or both in combination that helped.
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    If one uses levothyroxine, it is one of the side effects. It should be temporary. Check with your doctor.
  • jasmine_20
    Options
    hi my name is jasmine I had the same thing happening to me but I am using a shampoo called mane and tell and its been helping my hair to stop falling out as bad and it makes your hair thick and long and I only have a few strands that fall out now compared to a glob
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I shed worse than my German Shepherd. I can't even vaccuum my house without having to stop every 5mins to cut my hair out of the rollers. It's been that way my entire 5yrs on the levothyroxine. But somehow I still seem to have tons of long, healthy hair left. I guess I won't really worry about it until I see bald spots.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I did for the first few months ,but then thankfully enough it ended ! As for the shakes, I am unsure they will ever leave me alone .
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    I shed worse than my German Shepherd. I can't even vaccuum my house without having to stop every 5mins to cut my hair out of the rollers. It's been that way my entire 5yrs on the levothyroxine. But somehow I still seem to have tons of long, healthy hair left. I guess I won't really worry about it until I see bald spots.
    Sorry this is happening, but it does make me feel a bit better. It was depressing cleaning out the vaccuum the other day and seeing it was more me than the 2 cats.