Is it possible to lose weight with a smaller home pool?

Options
I feel sort of silly for asking this, but I just had to. First off lemme just say that I adore swimming (Because y'know--that would only make sense for someone who's in a group dedicated to swimming, right?). It's always been a favorite past time of mines, though it doesn't do any justice for my hair. When I first started my weight loss goal in January of 2011, most of my working out came from walking/running with the occasional strength training, but within this last year my routine changed and I opted to make swimming a regular thing for me. I swam laps though I wasn't very good at it. Still, I felt that the workout would be just the variety I needed.

Lately though with the loss of my job, i was forced to put my YMCA membership on hiatus until a later date. Now being without a pool, I resorted back to the same'ol until recently. My dad purchased one of those round, wide family pools. It measures as 22ft round, w/ 52in. walls, so it's nothing to brag about. Swimming laps is sort of out of the question, though I enjoyed swimming laps much more than doing water aerobics. Is there still some kind of basic workout regimen that can be done like this?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting some hand paddles and swimming the perimeter. You could also get a kickboard and do the same.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I didn't even think of that. I guess I'll just make a quick trip to Walmart in the morrow and pick me up a pair. Thanks so much!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Why do you need paddles or kickboard to swim the perimeter? Just curious...

OP, are there any municipal pools in your area? There are 3 50m in my town that are cheap (couple bucks a visit) and have dedicated lap swimming hours.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    The paddles will add resistance. Hey, my idea is to check into getting a tether. That way you could simulate laps.
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options

OP, are there any municipal pools in your area? There are 3 50m in my town that are cheap (couple bucks a visit) and have dedicated lap swimming hours.

You don't, but since OP cannot get any kind of sustained swimming going on due to all the turning in such a small pool, the paddles and kickboard will compensate.
    Options

None that I know of. I mean we have community pools but they've closed down (or at least all the ones I knew of and contacted) for the season. They always seem to pack it up whenever it's time for the kiddies to go back to school. The only pool that I can think of off the top of my head WOULD be the one at the local YMCA but they've done away with letting people purchase day passes.
    Hey, my idea is to check into getting a tether. That way you could simulate laps.

A tether??? Hmmm. That could be of use to me. I'vet tried mimicking the whole 'swimming laps' thing by vigorously swimming from one side of the pool to the next over and over again until i was out of breath, but mayhaps the tether could be of some use. Thank ya kindly!
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine bought a product called "swim bands" to use in her home pool. I think they're these: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/5266.htm or these: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/24131.htm.

Enjoy!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    FOR SURE!,,,, mine is only 16 by 32, and I am in every day!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine bought a product called "swim bands" to use in her home pool. I think they're these: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/5266.htm or these: http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/24131.htm.

Enjoy!

Very cool! Humans are so clever.

Grab some bungee cords at Walmart too -- love this DIY version of the tethers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyQOgVRMqME&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Options
    Oh my gosh you guys are so very super helpful! I've gotten such useful information and plan to use it to my full advantage! Thank you so much!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    When I first started swimming in my backyard pool I would hold onto the top step and kick like crazy for as long as I could... I love the tether idea! We have an in-ground pool, and it's difficult to swim laps and build up any kind of speed or increase my endurance... Congrats on your weight loss - good for you for trying to find a way to make what you have work for you!