Mass effect 3 ****Spoilers!!**** Seriously!

MissTattoo
MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
So...I see why there was an Extended Cut DLC for the ending. I read about the crappy ending before I beat the game so I downloaded the DLC. Did it work the first time? NO! I didn't know you had to beat the game and then start from the "legend save" and replay the whole effing attack on Cerebus again. The Extended Cut did make it a little better.

I don't know. I just feel....I don't know. Like did any of your decisions even matter in the end?!

I chose Synthesis. I couldn't kill off Edi or the Geth. I loved Legion. I certainly didn't want to control them either. Sucks about the Mass Relay's being destroyed, but I'm sure they can be built again. I mean, they have to be built again, right? You have almost every species in the galaxy stuck on Earth.

Did all of the aliens starve? Turians and Quarians can't eat human food. The Krogan were there too. So many plot holes. I guess it is what it is.

I'm playing the multi player now. Anyone else playing? Add me on Xbox Miss Tattoo. ^_^

Replies

• llgeisz
    llgeisz Posts: 34 Member
    I have played through the game four times to get all the ending... I am on multi player almost everyday working on those banners... I am Y4bz on xbox... heres another goodie for the online play..., the following link will allow you to view your stats and gear from the multi player online part of the game...

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/

just type your gamer tag and what system you are on in the box on the upper right hand side and submit. All your stats are available.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    All of your choices culminated in to one huge moment of choice. That part I loved. So then you take each of these choices to see what the ultimate different endings are. You get three different colored explosions. What a huge load of horse ****. I would have preferred one good ending over the three crappy ones.

The only thing that is ever different is the color of the explosion and if you complete everything under the sun you can get a gasp of air at the end. To me Mass Effect is nothing but a multi-player game. The writers gave all of their fans a big middle finger and I for one resent it.
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    The game was enjoyable until you return to earth... then it just falls apart fantastically, even with the EE.

Major issues I had with it... no boss fight. Seriously. Why couldn't I fight Harbinger, Illusive Man... SOMETHING? The EE made no sense either, Harbinger is just destroying everything while you run to the gate, yet the Normandy can come in save your injured team? Sure. Finally, introducing a character at the end of a story is complete and utter amateur hour... and of course because it's amateur hour, the character is basically god, making you pick from A B or C.

The first game was amazing. The second was good. The third was good, and jumped off a cliff for the final act.
  • soldier4242
    Which I think makes things worse because the game takes you to such a high place and you have these huge expectations making it one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history.

That game benefits from having people that know how to design fantastic combat systems with creative enemies and interesting graphics.

It suffers from poor story writing one a massive scale. The ending is so bad it almost makes you regret all the good stuff that came before it.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Wow, I thought this had already been beaten to death.

I think the ending is fine. I think a lot of people would have hated the ending no matter what it was.
  • soldier4242
    Well if you feel the topic has been beaten to death that is your prerogative. You are under no obligation to take part in this conversation.

I do not see how you could come to the conclusion that the ending was fine but to each their own. The ending was one of the most anticipated in video game history. Gamers turned out in droves not only expecting to like it based on the past history of the franchise but also wanting to like due to all the loyalty they had to the title. It was the disappointment heard round the world. They dropped the ball big time and to this day it serves as an example of what not to do in a video game where you claim your choices will matter.

Mass Effect had powerful story lines in its past that were pretty much universally loved so I do not understand how you could possibly come to the conclusion that no matter what it was people would have hated it. On its release day there were Mass Effect 3 parties for Pete's sake.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I have never understood the vitriol towards the ending of the series. I never played one (watched it on youtube still need to download and play off psn) but I fell in love with the second. I also thoroughly enjoyed the third. The ending felt a little rushed, and needed a nice detailed epilogue, which it didn't have...But overall, hard to find a better gaming experience than that game.

I also don't enjoy the choice system as much as others though. I much more enjoy the MGS or FF style storytelling where the creator has the story to tell and characters to develop, and I get to interact and watch it happen and enjoy. With that being said, I have not played a bioware developed game I wasn't a fan of.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    daterminedfatburnerX Posts: 346 Member
    One of my fav games..
  • The series will still go down as one of the best i have played, however that doesn't excuse that feeling i had when i first finished the game. I just stared at my TV screen thinking, " Really? That's it? No monologue? No final confrontation? WTF Just happened!?!?!?! "

I remember being very hesitant about the Multiplayer aspect, and that turned out to be the best part for me. I have played more multiplayer then single player for 3.

If you watch the YouTube videos on the Indoctrination Theory, then the ending for me is much more tolerable. I mean, come on...how much Reaper tech do you have to be exposed to before you show signs of Indoctrination?

As to my excuse to the ending...
    1. Switched main writers halfway through the story (never works)
    2. BioWare acquired by EA (if you like EA, i'm sorry but i think they are terrible. The Hasbro of the video game industry)
    3. EA pressured the devs to get the game out quicker. (took 4 years to make ME1, 2 years to make ME2, 1 year to make ME3)
    4. The "doctors" leaving pretty much was the final coffin that sealed BioWare to it's doom.

I could continue, but i believe this Horse has already been put down, skinned and boiled, and turned into Soap bars waiting to be purchased.
  • stephenszymanski
    stephenszymanski Posts: 114 Member
    I wanted an ending that included the following things, and in terms of story/choice completely unforgivable that they didn't include this:

1) Boss fight
    2) The choice to have Shepard live. Not a choice that includes the character dying in all 3 of them. And no, the little breath of air at the end of the destroy doesn't count.
    3) A good monologue

It had none of those, and that's why I hated it. Had it had those things, I wouldn't have hated the ending. It's that simple.
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Apparently the writers were frozen from being able to do anything with the end. The executuve producer and leader writer had their own "creative vision" and didn't allow any other writers involved in the whole serioes to provide input. This is why the story seems to take an abrupt change of pace from the rest of the series. And production of SW:TOR supposedly clashed with ME3's production. The endings are pretty rough and Sheperd's final fate is lame. But I'm sure Bioware will find some way to continue the series and maybe retcon what happened. They did it with Revan, we only had to wait 10 years for it...
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Apparently the writers were frozen from being able to do anything with the end. The executuve producer and leader writer had their own "creative vision" and didn't allow any other writers involved in the whole serioes to provide input. This is why the story seems to take an abrupt change of pace from the rest of the series. And production of SW:TOR supposedly clashed with ME3's production. The endings are pretty rough and Sheperd's final fate is lame. But I'm sure Bioware will find some way to continue the series and maybe retcon what happened. They did it with Revan, we only had to wait 10 years for it...

This. The highlight of Mass Effect 3 (in terms of writing, gameplay design, choices/ramifications, etc) is Priority: Tuchanka. This is especially true if Mordin survived ME2, making some of the choices in that game resonate more powerfully in this one. Tuchanka was a collaborative effort, writing-wise. Contrast this mission with the rushed quality of Priority: Earth, and the Epic Tri-Colored Explosions of Non-Awesomeness it ultimately leads to, and you would think you were playing a different game, by a different developer.

By all accounts, you were: the ending of ME3 was brought to you by EA and the ego of Casey Hudson.
  • robdel302
    By all accounts, you were: the ending of ME3 was brought to you by EA and the ego of Casey Hudson.

Sounds about right. Fortunately it's probable Bioware will make a new ME and retcon Shepard's death due to the massive amount of revenue it would make.
  • By all accounts, you were: the ending of ME3 was brought to you by EA and the ego of Casey Hudson.

Sounds about right. Fortunately it's probable Bioware will make a new ME and retcon Shepard's death due to the massive amount of revenue it would make.

As much as i hate the ME3 ending, if they do this, i'll lose even more respect for them. Accept your ending, regardless of the outcry, and move on from it hopefully not making the same mistakes going forward.

As much as i loved my Shepard, if they do that then i'll be done with the series.
  • robdel302
    As much as i loved my Shepard, if they do that then i'll be done with the series.

This has been done in the past by Bioware, once with Aribeth and again with Revan. Although both character were never killed, they just disappeared and their final fate was left unknown. Bioware drives a good story so long as the producer doesn't emphasize a "creative vision" over everything else. Personally, I'd rather see them return to the Forgotten Realms rather then making another Mass Effect for awhile. Baldur's Gate 3! :happy:
  • whooter
    whooter Posts: 47
    Here was my problem:

This is a quote from Casey Hudson (the writer)

"Hudson: "Yeah, and I'd say much more so, because we have the ability to
    build the endings out in a way that we don't have to worry about
    eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is
    coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot
    more different. At this point we're taking into account so many
    decisions that you've made as a player and reflecting a lot of that
    stuff. It's not even in any way like the traditional game endings,
    where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got
    ending A, B, or C.....The endings have a lot more sophistication and
    variety in them.
    "

Ultimately we got ending A, B, or C.

/sadtrombone
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Sorry I haven't followed up. lol And sorry if this is beating a dead horse. I tend to not play video games when they are brand new and everyone is talking about them.

Since playing in multiplayer (HOLY CRAP I LOVE IT! I have an Awakened Collector! He's so awesome!!!) I now have 100% readiness and I hear there is a secret ending if you have 100%. So maybe I'll play through again and look up how to get the ending.

Seriously though, multiplayer is awesome! I'm working my way up to surviving Gold matches.
  • soldier4242
    People are quick to say any topic that they are not interested in is a dead horse. I would suggest you ignore them and diagnose your own dead horses for yourself. A topic that might be considered completely trite and fruitless to one person might be completely brand new or unresolved to you.

The reason others are so fast to say someone else is beating a dead horse is because they don't want that topic discussed anymore and to that I say. "Get over it." obviously this topic was new to you or you felt this topic was something worth discussing and that is enough justification for me.

This is an internet chat forum and we are in a group to boot. You are free to post whatever you want and nobody is obligated to take part in any thread. This does of course mean that they have every right to ask people to stop talking about a topic but it also means that we have every right to ignore them.

MassEffect3 is new to you and that is all that matters. Congrats on getting to 100% and there is an ending change that you get for achieving that and I am sure you will be just as disappointed as so many others were when you see it. While the game makers did not see it necessary to give an appropriate reward for that achievement it does not diminish the coolness of the accomplishment.
  • robdel302
    There were only two things that used to be affected by galactic readiness. There is a very small scene at the end of the desuction choice. And the fight over Earth when the crcuble arrives can go really badly for the alliance if readiness is low. Bioware has since changed this due to people complaining of not wanting to play multi to get the different endings. I think you only need a 60% readiness for the allied forces to not get stomped.

But soldier is right, expect to be disappointed. I'd recommend you go online and look for the youtube video of the hacked PC ending. Someone modded it showing Shepard surviving no matter the choice. He even pulled dialogue from pervious games so it somewhat sounds believable. But the biggest change is that the model at the memorial scene is changed to show Shepard attaching the plate for Anderson on Normandy's wall.
  • erayne
    erayne Posts: 47 Member
    I was really disappointed with the original ending, but happy with the DLC they put out. I even have a shirt that says, "Marauder Shields, INC. Saving you from a disappointing ending". Haha! I wore it into Game Stop one time and the employee thought it was a club.....O_O .

Anyways, Mass Effect is my favorite game, I also play MP, so feel free to add me! eraynea

I'll try to add anyone that posted their gamertag. =)