WLS and fat shaming and my anger

Options
Holly_penguin
Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
As a person who has been:

1. overweight or obese since I was 8 years old
2. teased, bullied, rejected, and discriminated against becasue of my weight

I read an article on MSN.com today about how fat shaming does not work. I read it and wanted to share it. It touched me personally and made me empathize. I figured that everyone on this board would be able to relate to this article as well.

For the most part MFP is a supportive community. But I have seen some ugly and hateful vile on the boards here too. Especially towards anyone who has had gastric or WLS surgery. I came to the decsion to have WLS on my own. My reasons, timing, ability and desire were my own. I have told almost no-one that my "miraculous" weight loss is due to WLS becasue I have experienced so much hate and discremination due to my weight, I didn't want anyone to have additional anmunition to hurt me or hate me. This decsion too is becasue of my own reasons. If weight loss were easy, we'd all have perfet BMI's. If all overweight people were lazy then no-one would every be motivated enough to have WLS. many people have said to me int he last months a variation of "You've done so well with your weight loss...you must feel so much better now that you are pretty". I smile and say thank you. But I want to slap them and scram in their face saying, "You ignorant jerk, I was ALWAYS pretty...but your ignorance and hate and prejudice just didn't see it. That is your damage, not mine!"

Below is a clip of the article:

Research has already shown that stigmatizing overweight people leads to psychological factors that are likely to contribute to weight gain – things like depression or binge eating. This new paper takes that a step further, linking what the Internet likes to call “fat-shaming” to weight gain and suggesting that you can’t scare people skinny.

“Stigma and discrimination are really stressors, and, unfortunately, for many people, they’re chronic stressors,” says Rebecca Puhl, deputy director of the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University. Puhl has studied weight bias and discrimination for 13 years. “And we know that eating is a common reaction to stress and anxiety -- that people often engage in more food consumption or more binge eating in response to stressors, so there is a logical connection here in terms of some of the maladaptive coping strategies to try to deal with the stress of being stigmatized.”

The rest can be found here: http://www.nbcnews.com/health/fat-shaming-actually-increases-risk-becoming-or-staying-obese-new-8C10751491?ocid=msnhp&pos=5

Replies

• CHC94
    CHC94 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for talking about this, Holly. I have wondered over the years WHY I wasn't hired for certain jobs, and I think my weight / looks had a bit to do with it. Not all teachers can be blond and cute.

I used to be teased about my weight when I was younger; the last one to do that in elementary school found his forehead split open by a baseball bat. HOME RUN! After that, I was avoided.

I have also told almost no-one about my surgery. There are 4 people at my job who know and I trust their discretion. My mom and boyfriend know, but that's it outside of my medical team.

Did you ever get the line, "You look so good now that you've lost weight!" or hear people say about other overweight / obese people, "Eating fast food won't help him / her lose weight." (or a variation)?

My new one is, "How can you be fat? You eat so healthy!" Yes, I am, and yes, I do. Weight is not just determined by how many RingDings or Big Macs you eat. For some people, like myself, it is hormones... but trying to educate someone about that is like nailing Jello to a wall.

One from a couple years ago was, "You must be tired because you're overweight." I responded with, "Yes I am sometimes... you must be exhausted. How do you do it?" <evil grin>

I love my caustic humor.
  • Holly_penguin
    Options
    One of my major reasons for the WLS was to look for a new job. No-one at work knows about my surgery, except for my boyfriend. I only told him after we started dating. It's hard to keep that information from your boyfriend. :) I swore him to secrecy when telling him and said no-one at work knows. not even my closest co-workers. he said, "You've lost a ton of weight. People suspect strongly thats what happened" I said, "let them suspect, but they will never know"

As for being teased and bullied. I remember distinctly someone in high school I didn't know coming up to me in the hall between periods and saying "YOU"RE FAT" in my face. I looked right at them, feigned surprise, looked down at myself adn said, "When did that happen? when I woke up this morning I was a size 2! Damn it!" and walked away. I have a really thick skin for a-holes and could always put them in their place. It is the subtle abuse that has always ripped my hearty out. Like the guy I dated on/off for years and fell for hard. We spent hours upon hours and days upon days together. Shared everything, went everywhere together, slept together...imagine my surprise when he said to me, "the thought of having a relationship with you sends shivers down my spine" here I was thinking we were in a relationship.

My biggest hurdle right now isn't the people who tell me I'm pretty know or ask how much better I feel or even bartenders that pour me free shots that barely looked at me when i was trying to pay for drinks previously. My boyfriend has a small to mediumish problem with other men's approving looks or comments. I've told him he needs to get over it. My suggestion to him is that he should revel in it. Enjoy and acknowledge to these guys I'm attractive...and then make a knowing glance to them saying "and she's going home with me" becasue I will always go home with him. I don't hink he has embraced that quite yet.

As a disclaimer, I posted this on the non-gastric boards almost verbatim and got 2 dozen comments from it. And as I suspected, a lot of the comments were mean spirited of the "the extremely obese are just lazy, look at me I'm losing weight without surgery" variety. Yalternately, you are the only comment I've had on this board in 5 days. I considered posting in both places a sociology experiment.
  • CHC94
    Options
    "As for being teased and bullied. I remember distinctly someone in high school I didn't know coming up to me in the hall between periods and saying "YOU"RE FAT" in my face. I looked right at them, feigned surprise, looked down at myself adn said, "When did that happen? when I woke up this morning I was a size 2! Damn it!" and walked away. "

ROFL!!! Oh, I love that one!

I had a 'boyfriend' like yours. I call him 'Thing 1'. I have since upgraded. And so have you.

Your boyfriend needs to appreciate the fact that he has a smart, beautiful girlfriend.

I posted some comments on the other boards and they have been there for 2 weeks. Message boards are like that. If it's not something inflammatory, people generally read it and move on.

Tomorrow is the FINAL pre-op visit at the hospital...
  • Holly_penguin
    Options
    So good for you...my surgiversry is tomorrow. August 1st...1 year.

it's going to be great! best thing I ever did.
  • kvandeman
    kvandeman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I just had my surgery 2 weeks ago so I haven't lost too much weight yet. I have a phobia of shopping malls because of my weight. I got tired of the guys walking by and mooing and of clerks giving me dirty/condencending looks if I walked into a store that did not have my size. Shaming people does not make them get healthier.

What helped with me was working in an office full of Federal Law Enforcement Officers. They all work out regularly and eat healthy. I wanted to be like them. They accepted me as I was and I wanted to keep up with them. Who knows when I lose this weight I might try to become an LEO. They have made me just want to be a better person. They know about my surgery and have wished me luck. On the other hand I am transferring offices in a month and I don't plan on telling anyone there what I have done. Let the poundage slipping away be miraculous.
  • CHC94
    Options
    TOMORROW (8/5) is the big day.

I left work on Friday to many hugs, best wishes and "You get better and get back in here 'cause I need you"s. Made me feel very good. I've made it through the clear liquid diet with just a few slips (it was either put something solid in my tum or have the migraine headache) and I kept it to a minimum of food.

How did you all do with the first couple weeks with the sip of liquid part? I keep thinking that I'll be in too much pain to worry about it and just sleep my way through it. And what did you do in terms of exercise? I think I will just start with walking and increase the distance as I see fit.
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just a little over a week out of surgery. Really not near the pain I was expecting. Still working to get all the liquids in but doing better. The sugar free popsicles are a fun change from water. Good luck!!!
  • Holly_penguin
    Options
    The first week or so after surgery is all about watching a clock with medicine cups of fluid in front of you. It works out okay. As for the pain, I was completely off pain meds by 2nd day home. You sleep alot becasue you are healing, not the pain. You're gonna do great!
  • CHC94
    Options
    "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies is going through my head right now... it's been one week (and a couple days) since my surgery and I feel fine. (Can't leave out REM!)

Up to full liquid / puree foods right now.

My biggest obstacles are (1) finding food that doesn't have a boatload of sugar and (2) getting the protein in. I have been very lax in that area, since I can't find protein that is (a) NOT in a 20 lb. tub and (b) compatible with food flavor. My other issue is getting back on my regular meds - I have to crush the pills and I'm not sure if they are crushable.

I'm scared to eat anything with sugar that isn't fruit because of the dumping. I bought oatmeal and I wanted to add honey to it, but I didn't.

I am open to suggestions.
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can check with your pharmacist about if your meds are crushable. One of mine was changed to a capsule so I can empty that out and take the tiny granules. Another one was available in a liquid syrup. The others I have to crush.

Besides the flavored protein, I ordered some unflavored protein packets from Unjury.com. I have added this to sugar free instant pudding and it works great. Also from Unjury is a chicken soup flavor that I have added to instant mashed potatoes. You can order packets instead of tubs so you don't have to make such a big commitment. They send it out fast too!

Keep up the good work... and I love the music references.
  • CHC94
    Options
    I have crushable meds. So I bought a pill crusher.

I still need to order the Unjury protein. That's my big sticking point. I don't know why I can't just order it and put it in my food.

I'm also trying to get the exercise part in.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I just found this group and I love this thread! I took the opposite approach from you ladies. I shouted it from the rooftops -- I'm having Gastric Bypass and I cannot wait! LOL I spent 30 years hiding things from the world because I was fat. Hiding food, hiding empty wrappers, hiding my size by cutting the tags off, hiding my weight by lying. I was not hiding anymore. I also took the approach that I couldn't give a Rat's You-know-what about what other people thought. It was so freeing.

"Why?!?" That was the #1 question. Why are you going to have a life-risking surgery instead of doing it the old fashioned way?

Why? Because I weigh 400 pounds and I got here by trying the old fashioned way two dozen times. I cannot put my health and life at risk any further by having surgery than I am by living without it!

I avoided shopping for anything in a store that sold clothes..... Even if I was looking at a sweater or nice blouse for someone else -- I felt like people were looking at me thinking, "Why is she even looking in this section? She's too fat!" I would avoid buying kitchen items and food because I was afraid of the comments -- "Look at her buying more stuff for the kitchen! She needs to stay out of the kitchen! She's fat enough!" (No one ever said that, but I knew they were thinking it!)

When I finally took the leap (03/31/09) - I went for my first Bariatric appointment, and I never looked back. On August 31st I will be four years post-op. I have lost and maintained over 200 pounds - had a baby - found running - found the love of my life (who had the Sleeve in May 2012 - 18 months after we met) and found a life soooo worth living. I would welcome a friend request from anyone in this group that might be looking for extra support :flowerforyou: