New - Just saying HELLO!

Options
Hi all, I am new to the MFP groups, but certainly not new to LCHF. This has been my family's lifestyle for 2 1/2 years. We love it and will NEVER revert back to our old way of eating.

Included in this group of loverlies is my husband, my mom, my sister, and myself. We all started at roughly the same time. It's really nice too because when we go to each others place for a meal, we don't have to worry about whether it's something we can eat. (My very best friend started in January and he has lost 50 pounds!)

Hubby and I have lost around 70 pounds combined. Him around 40 and me about 30. Well, I had lost 30 but then 10 crept back on even with strict following of the plan and even more cutting back on carbs. So, I bit the bullet recently and gave up most dairy to see if that is what was causing my stall and modest gain. I say "most" because I still use butter and every now and then some hard cheeses. But stopped with cream, cream cheese, sour cream, etc.

I call it a modest gain, because seriously, even though I gained 10 back my body didn't reflect it at all! All of my clothes still fit and I was actually becoming leaner even though the scale showed gain! (I WISH I had save the measurements I'd taked...looked everywhere and can't find them.) So, I insist that the over one year stall was not a waste, but a time when my body was simply restructuring itself. Fat was still burning away and I was becoming toner and leaner. It's a great point in fact to not focus on the silly scale!

However, I still have more to lose...probably another 20-25 pounds at least. I don't really have a goal weight...I don't want to obsess with reaching a certain weight. I just know how I want to look and I'll know when I get there. My body may decide that a goal weight is not what it has in mind and I don't want to become frustrated if I don't achieve it.

So, back to the dairy that I've given up recently. I wondered if my issue is candida but was also stubbornly hanging on to heavy cream in my coffee. I've recently found a great substitute and realized that I can give it up without feeling deprived. So! In the last few weeks, 5.5 pounds have come back off. It could be more but I promised my friend that I would not get on the scale again until Friday. (You see? Even though I say I don't want to obsess with the scale...it's easier said then done! But, my friend is helping me. That's why these groups are nice too...to help with stuff like that.)

I follow all the greats. Dr. Westman, Dr. Briffa, Dr. Kendrick, Dr. Eenfeldt, Tom Naughton, Jimmy Moore...omg...the list goes one! We're making an impact people!!

Sorry guys, that was a long intro...but I'm famous for sometimes writing long diatribes! LOL!

So, hello! :happy: I hope I can be a great support to others investing in the lifestyle. I love to encourage and I truly believe in this Way of Eating!

kats612 x

Replies

• linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi Kats and welcome to this great low carber forum! It's great to have a place to go and not get criticized, ostracized, demonized etc. as would happen in the main forum. Lots of great info and support here. I stopped eating wheat in December 2012 after reading "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis, and I started low carb in April. I've never felt better! I cannot see myself going back to my old way of eating. Linda
  • kats612
    kats612 Posts: 10
    Options
    Me either, Linda. I am also a follower of Dr. Davis. I've had numerous health issues improve on this lifestyle. Including a terribly upsetting tummy issue I used to have. Everything I ate, and I mean everything caused me to feel bloated and I belched constantly (not very lady like), but not only was it not very lady like...I was miserably uncomfortable and sometimes in pain. I didn't know that eating this way would help that...just discovered one day after I'd been eating this way for a couple of months that I didn't have those symptoms anymore! When it occured to me, I was like, "Oh my gosh! I am better!"

I also off all of my allergy meds and no longer take Lipitor or Tricor. :)

Win-win!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    welcome to the LCDF you sound pretty knowledgeable. I'm still learning and still losing. my wife and I both now since about November of 2011 have been low carbers but still learning the tricks of the trade. thankyou for being a resource to the forum.
  • kats612
    Options
    Hi Binkie, my husband and I have been eating this way for so long that we both just know what to do. He's great even when he goes out to eat with the guys at work! He knows what to order and what to avoid. We've never felt better! I didn't think I'd ever get him on board with any weight loss program, but this is so easy and because we can have fats...the food tastes great! So, I got no arguments from him! He said as long as the food doesn't taste like cardboard, he can handle it and handle it he has! This is our lifestyle and the best habit we've ever started together :happy:
  • wall_i_am
    Options
    Welcome to the Group Kats ;-) From what I've heard, Kats is VERY knowledgeable on the LCHF and her inspiration can travel all the way to Scotland enough for some people to take up the same lifestyle change and lose 50lbs... :-)
  • kats612
    Options
    Hello Wall_I_Am! Yes, my inspirations have been known to travel abroad and affect some really fantastic people! :wink: Thanks for the welcome!