Dipping my tow in the water..

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am really new to the idea of low carb and want to try it out, but more ease myself in if that makes sense, as not sure how I will manage to cut my carbs so low so quickly. Plus I have food in house to use up, food habits to change etc.

I wondered if there is any merit/downside to cutting down gradually or just aiming for mid-carbs instead of low.

I current eat around 1500cals a day
200g carb (40-50%)

I want to try cut this to more like 100g over the next month

Then maybe in a couple months cut again to 75 etc

Depending how I cope then aim for the lower numbers to get into keto

If I do this what ratios of protein/fat should I aim for as well as I go along?

*Typo Correction - Toe not Tow.. haha although I am the weight of a Tow Truck :(

Replies

• Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You can cut carbs faster than that. Maybe cut 30-50 carbs per week until you get where you want. That should help you avoid the 'carb flu" if that is your concern. I mean, you could spread it out longer, but I think if you cut each week you should be fine and get to the carb limit you want faster, which is faster weight loss. and faster to feeling better. dropping the carbs really made a difference on "ME" and I dont mean just weight-wise. I feel 20 years younger and I am getting way to close to 60 (will be 59 in November). Good Luck.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    use the calculator to figure it out. yes you can cut faster than you've indicated. don't hesitate to throw food away if its not food you should eat. just throw it away. it's a few bucks. the heck with it. getting under 50 Grams net per day is pretty easy. Keto is ok if you want to get there but you'll see great results under 50 grams good luck keep in touch.
  • princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You can cut carbs faster than that. Maybe cut 30-50 carbs per week until you get where you want. That should help you avoid the 'carb flu" if that is your concern. I mean, you could spread it out longer, but I think if you cut each week you should be fine and get to the carb limit you want faster, which is faster weight loss. and faster to feeling better. dropping the carbs really made a difference on "ME" and I dont mean just weight-wise. I feel 20 years younger and I am getting way to close to 60 (will be 59 in November). Good Luck.

Thanks, I am not concerned about the flu. I am concerned that I will end up starving as I don't know what to eat that doesn't have carbs in it. I try really hard to avoid obvious carbs and then still end up at 150 for the day, it really is a re-education in eating!
    The idea that cheese and butter is now ok is also strange as I see them as fattening foods.

I really need to go make a meal plan and shop accordingly.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    get rid of all bread, sugar, prepackaged food.

focus on meats and fresh veggies (non root for the most part and no corn) eggs eggwhites,

they make low carb crackers and wraps that have a ton of fiber (that's what brings the net carbs down enough to make them tolerable for this diet) I eat one a day of this group to add fiber to my diet.
    Snacks can be things like celery and peanut butter, string cheese, nuts (nuts are really good to have as part of your diet for fiber and vitamins)
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think it is fine to cut carbs gradually if it will help you ease into low(er) carb eating. At one point I cut just sugar and white flour. Now, I am full blown low carb, getting usually 20-30 net carbs at day.
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    There are lots of low-carb recipes here and you can just google it too for hundreds of good ideas. I make Oopsie Bread and Muffins in a Minute, low carb pancakes. These things keep me from feeling deprived and are filling and delicious. Even my skinny hubby loves the Oopsie Bread. You will find more recipes than you have time to make! I am NOT a baker, but these are really quick and easy. and yes, fat is your friend--good healthy fats, this is! Who doesn't like avocado, deviled eggs with mayo, unsweetened coconut, olives, butter, cream cheese, sour cream? I am loving low-carb, high fat, moderate protein!
  • kats612
    kats612 Posts: 10
    Options
    My favorite place to send people is www.dietdoctor.com

Hover your cursor over "Health & Weight Loss" and then click on LCHF for beginners. If you're not sure what you'll eat, this is a great guide to help you get started.

This has been the only way of eating that has EVER done anything to really help me like who I am again! And I've tried EVERYTHING! Not only do I no longer look fat (even though I am not at goal), but I have also improved my health. I am now off of many meds that I used to take.

You're comment on being able to eat butter and cheese rings true with me too. It was hard in the beginning to wrap my mind around the fact that I could eat fat especially since fat has been so villianized for the past 30 years by governments, doctors, and TV commercials...but more and more research is coming out now that proves our bodies actually need fat for many health benefits. I have noticed younger looking skin! How awesome is that??

I went cold turkey when I decided to do this, but whatever works for you is what you should do. I went through my pantry and refrigerator and either threw away food we could no longer eat or I gave unopened things to my neighbor. I only eat 20-25 total carbs a day and am totally satisfied in both my hunger and the choices of foods I am able eat. Fat helps you feel full and gives food lots of flavor! My husband eats this way also (he would not do this if the food tasted like cardboard like low fat foods do) and it has been an amazing journey for both of us towards weight loss and health!

Best wishes to you!
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb (but new to MFP). Feel free to check out my diary and add me as a friend. :) I aim for less than 50 net carbs (carbs minus fiber).
  • can3mwh
    can3mwh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Since it sounds like you would like to initially ease into this, you might want to consider a low car plan that I came across a long time ago. It was recommended by Dr. Rachael F. Heller ... author of the Low Carb Addicts Diet. Her recommendation is to divide your plate into 3rds--protein, starch, and low starch/no starch vegetables. You should also include a side salad. Their original suggestion was that if you go for seconds of anything on your plate you need to go for seconds of everything to keep it in balance. Cutting starches and processed sugars are the biggest and most important things. All the previous comments have some excellent ideas. Good luck with your low carb journey.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Since it sounds like you would like to initially ease into this, you might want to consider a low car plan that I came across a long time ago. It was recommended by Dr. Rachael F. Heller ... author of the Low Carb Addicts Diet. Her recommendation is to divide your plate into 3rds--protein, starch, and low starch/no starch vegetables. You should also include a side salad. Their original suggestion was that if you go for seconds of anything on your plate you need to go for seconds of everything to keep it in balance. Cutting starches and processed sugars are the biggest and most important things. All the previous comments have some excellent ideas. Good luck with your low carb journey.

Yes to this one -- I am in my 2nd week of CAD, and finally this morning noticed a drop from 78.4 kg to 77.7. I eat a low-carb breakfast and lunch, lots of meats and avocado, salad, etc. then the Reward meal at night, which allows you to eat carbs. My husband cooks dinner and he loves macrobiotic -- brown rice and lots of veggies, less protein, so I am not able to get the 1/3 balance every time unless I add in protein, but I am hopeful that it will keep working for me.

Check out this site for a basic description of the diet rules for CAD and also for people now on CAD and the later book CALD. They offer lots of advice on stallers, etc.
    http://forum.lowcarber.org/

Good luck!
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Foods with out carbs is pretty easy to figure out. refer to my diary or any low carbers for help. butter and cheese IS fat, not carbs. so just remember FAT per se is NOT fattening and CARBS ARE! it's just the chemistry. read good calories bad calories for the science.