Post Workout Food/Snacks/Shake

Options
suzmedder
suzmedder Posts: 49 Member
Hi all,
I am about to start my NROLFW journey and I'm curious as to what people eat, drink, chew after their workouts? I know the book says protein shakes are the way to go, but a Facebook forum has a post from one of the authors (I think) saying that it is now not so important as fresh research has come out about the apparent benefits or lack of, in doing this, so just wanting to get some opinions and those that have been there and done that?!

I am not keen on going down the shake route and the bars all look grim, thinking a banana would be far easier, which according to some is just has good and has been used for ever by athletes?!

Also, if anyone wants to add me, I am happy to have more NROLFW friends.....I am going to start Stage 1 on Saturday or Monday, depending how I get on with an intro to the weight machines at the gym in the next few days :)

Thanx all xx :happy:

Replies

• tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i can't do protein shakes anymore. i like them, because the brand/flavor i got was super yummy, and i could put it in anything (oatmeal, pancakes, shakes, baking)! i loved how it tasted and it made me feel full for a LONG time. but it also gave me HORRIBLE gas. like, embarrassingly bad. :noway: so i quit using it. i had a lot of recommendations to drink good old chocolate milk after my workouts. i was concerned because there's no extra protein, but i was provided with a lot of articles and information about how the protein, fat, and carbs in the milk/chocolate combo work together to refuel your body quickly, as well as for a more prolonged period of time. so... that's what i do now. i know i've been lower on my protein because of it, but i'd rather try to supplement with more protein rich foods than take a gamble every day with the stinky gas!
  • amber_michelle30
    amber_michelle30 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My husband tried the soy protein powder after his workout and it gave him horrible gas too. He then switched to the whey powder that I take and doesn't have anymore problems with it.
  • suzmedder
    Options
    Thanx for the heads up on that one!!! And chocolate milk, MORE than happy to go with that one instead....any particular type or just normal off the shelf?!

I am trying to bring in more fish, nuts and yogurt into my diet, I'd rather do it that way too! I've bought some fish oil tablets too but think I'll stop at them for now and I've been taking one a day multivits for a while now too!

Thanx again :)
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    the kind i was using has a sustained release protein blend of 40% whey, 50% micellar casein, and 20% egg white. i've decided for now to just lay off the protein powder since i'm unsure which element caused the problem. my husband has a different kind that i may try... on a weekend when i'm home alone sometime.

as for chocolate milk, i use just regular milk and liquid nesquick. i measure it by using my food scale and just pour directly into the cup. i have these little glasses that are the perfect size for what the amount i want to drink.

p.s. here is an AMAZING recipe for salmon! i used to hate salmon, now we eat it once a week. even the guys at the fish counter at my grocery store see me coming and know exactly what i want. we're practically best friends now. my husband and i are totally obsessed with this recipe! it's crucial to use kosher salt and fresh rosemary :) delish!
    http://www.culinary.net/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?ID=2770&CourseName=Fish+&+Seafood&CourseID=18#.T4w7H7bFLD4.pinterest
  • suzmedder
    Options
    Nesquik yum, off to the supermarket for me later!!

I love salmon, thanks for that, will defo give it a try! :)
  • BreMurie
    BreMurie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also do the chocolate milk route! I also read that article or one similar saying there are some surprising benefits to drinking it post workout!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My DH has been using Borden Chocolate Milk. It tastes like high quality ice cream :drinker:

I just hate protein powder. Some make me fart. Some don't. They all taste like azz. ALL.

I may switch to Borden, as well, and worry less about hitting my high protein goals :embarassed:
  • suzmedder
    Options
    I've bit the bullet and ordered a small bag of some really natural type not the full on body building stuff and will see how I get on. Got unflavoured so will not be doing shakes, will add into yogurt, eggs, porridge, etc, I just can't seem to get anywhere near the daily amount with my diet!!
  • courtniemarie
    courtniemarie Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For me, I feel like meeting my protein goal has just been practice, practice, practice. I have to focus every morning and make sure I’m packing a snack that has protein in it (significantly more if it’s a workout day). If it’s not a workout day I’ll put a little more protein powder in my coffee that morning (haven't had any issues with it). I’ve been snacking on tuna salad with veggie sticks, turkey pepperoni, low fat plain greek yogurt (mixed it with vanilla extract, cinnamon, and strawberries yesterday!), cottage cheese, and peanuts recently. Then I make sure that every meal (B, L, & D) has meat in it. I don’t have to focus on the meal part anymore though, that’s just is habit now. I can get to 100g protein without really thinking about it and averaged 139.6g everyday last week. Just make sure you're thinking about it next time you're doing your regular grocery shop and make an effort to buy protein filled snacks. that's definitely a start :)
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I tried protein powder and I agree with runzalot... yuck! However I do like SlimFast Creamy Milk Chocolate Shake premixed bottle that's really cold, I don't know how it compares to chocolate milk but 190 cal and 10g of protein.
  • phizzylizzy
    phizzylizzy Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a protein powder that is so incredibly tasty I can hardly believe it isn't Nesquik or melted ice cream! It's Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard brand. My two favorite flavors are Extreme Milk Chocolate and Delicious Strawberry. I started drinking it with lactose-free milk and that helped any tummy troubles I was having. Dairy has always been my friend, but after I began lifting I realized that drinking copious amounts of milk (I've never enjoyed it as a beverage) was not fun for my stomach. It does pack a punch calorie-wise, but I never regret drinking one. Its a great way to get up to my calorie goal if I haven't eaten too much on a given day.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am also not a fan of protein powders. I have a bit of cottage cheese and a hard boiled egg after my lifting workouts, seems to do the trick.
  • panthur
    panthur Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've also mixed my protein powder with a Slim-Fast for even more protein. I mix with 8 oz so it's pretty quick to drink, even if the combo is a little sweeter than I'd prefer.