Fasting vs Post food..... this seems wrong

Options
bzign
bzign Posts: 41 Member
I am just trying to figure out whats going on, in theory a fasting test is lower than after food right??

I am finding that my morning fasting BG is around 11 or 13 and after food it goes down to 7 or 8.... (mmol/L)

Hopefully my Accuchek is broken and thats whats causing the weirdness, I have also just started Januvia because me and Metformin are NOT friends. Not sure if thats causing the issue, that would be a bit peculiar if the meds were putting my BG up thoughI have been having the night hots which is usually a sign of high BG even though I have been eating the same.
Will be bringing this up at my next appointment.

Just wondering if I was going nuts or if thats normal to have a morning BG spike.

Replies

• celestep2k1
    celestep2k1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says that's normal: fasting glucose is always higher. You'd think it'd be the other way around, but it's not.

Celeste
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    The same was happening to me until I began having a small snack an hour or so before bedtime. Now the numbers are much closer together. Apparently I was going low during the night and my body was trying to up my blood sugar. It seemed to cause me to feel "hot" in the early hours of the morning. At least this is how I seem to react.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It's called dawn phenomenon when your liver kicks out sugar into your bloodstream to give you energy to start your day. A lot of us struggle with this I think.
  • bzign
    bzign Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That makes sense!

Thanks everyone :-)