weightlifting accessories, use them don't abuse them.

Options
CakeFit21
CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
Interesting article, thought it had some good info especially for the beginner.

http://triunepress.com/weightlifting-accessories-dont-abuse-them/

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Good article. I just bought some wrist straps and that will probably be about it for me.

Though I have to say that my left wrist used to get sore as heck doing about 10 pushups. I just figured it was years of damage from playing sports my whole life. Two months of Crossfit and that soreness (or scar tissue, or whatever it was) is almost completely gone and I can do pushups with no issues at all.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm a wrist wrap/knee sleeve and lifting shoe kind of girl.

I use the belt occasionally. Definitely helped me get my OHP PR.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I use strength wraps and shoes. thinking about getting a belt. I used one last week and it felt incredible.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I use strength wraps and shoes. thinking about getting a belt. I used one last week and it felt incredible.

I will stand corrected, I think I will eventually get shoes. I lift in flats now (NB Minimus) and I'm sure a bit of heel lifting would help immensely.

I've used a belt in the past and the difference is immediate and dramatic. At this point though I'd rather get my trunk muscles stronger. Yours are already strong enough :)

Once I'm a year or so into CF, I'll look at a belt.
  • jsdcap
    jsdcap Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Wrist wraps and Barefoot
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Wrist wraps and Barefoot

Barefoot on my squats :)
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    • Wrist wraps
    • Knee braces
    • Tape (for fingers and pull-ups)
    • Batting gloves (for ANY WOD that has "barbell" and "21-15-9" in it)
    • Reebok Lifters
    • Weight belt (for deads at bodyweight+)

If you do not have Oly shoes and lift a lot then you should consider getting a pair. REALLY keep you planted. Yes they can be a bit pricey, but you will wear them for literally years as you only wear them inside during Oly.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^Was talking to one of our coaches about Oly shoes and he strongly recommended them for our big lifting days. Probably will have to wait until Xmas for me but I will definitely be grabbing them.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My hands have been getting kind of torn up from lifting. How many of you use gloves? I have never seen anyone in my gym wearing gloves but I think they might be good for me...
  • melmckay99
    melmckay99 Posts: 358
    Options
    My hands have been getting kind of torn up from lifting. How many of you use gloves? I have never seen anyone in my gym wearing gloves but I think they might be good for me...

I use gloves for most barbell and dumbbell work. Not for pullups tho, I need to have full contact with the bar for those or I just feel like I'm slipping away.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I use gloves. I think mainly the people who compete don't use gloves as I don't think it is allowed so they practice without. I am nowhere near competing, if I do choose to one day, so I wear my gloves.