What do you do on your off days?

Options
SeeBerSmile
SeeBerSmile Posts: 16 Member
Following the basic MWF plan, I will have Tues., Thurs., Sat., & Sun. off. Before I begin each MWF session, I plan to work on my running, and continue running every weekday and take Sat. & Sun. off, maybe just do some yoga. I'm wondering if I want &/or should do other workouts on Tues. & Thurs., as well. I am thinking boxing, maybe some ballet &/or other form of dance. Does anyone else do additional workouts on top of their lifting?

Replies

• stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    YES. I have a serious endorphin addiction and I usually feel 'off' if I go more than a day without my fix. If I'm pressed for time, I do 30-40 mins on the elliptical. On the weekends, I often work through the entirety of Jillian Michaels's Kickbox Fast Fix (about an hour). Other times I'll do a mixture of elliptical for warmup and then a workout dvd. I try not to do anything with weights on my days off so my muscles can recover, I'm currently looking for more cardio-heavy dvds to do because my knees and my sanity need a break from the elliptical (seriously the most painfully boring part of my day).

I've been looking into bellydance workouts on youtube, and some of them are actually quite challenging. Even though it's very low impact and not the most efficient calorie burn, at least you're developing a skill while you're at it.

Doing fun cardio stuff on my off days helps with my soreness and keeps me in the habit of moving. I work at a desk job, so I really look forward to coming home to intense cardio so I can feel like I'm alive again, haha!
  • BreMurie
    BreMurie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to incorporate cardio on my off days, but here's the thing... going to the gym JUST to run on the treadmill or do the elliptical takes a lot of convincing from me.. so I'm trying to look into something I can do at home so I'm more consistent. I bought a Bob Harper cardio DVD and then realized it's chalk full of strength training as well, even doing moves that I do with NROLFW, so it seems like its not a strength training rest day then...

Short answer, I feel like a total slug only working out 3 days a week, so 2 days will be devoted to cardio :)
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I feel the need for cardio on my off days too, and try really hard not to include any strength related exercises; I can not do the elliptical or treadmill for too long, I just get so bored.... Mostly I do Tae Bo and Zumba (downloaded classes from the internet), both are great calories burns for me and keep me entertained. On my 'off days" I try to do some yoga or walk with my dog.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I try to do 2 days of cardio in addition to 3 days of NROLFW. I usually do a spin class every week and then either running, insanity or a jillian michaels DVD on the other day.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to incorporate cardio on my off days, but here's the thing... going to the gym JUST to run on the treadmill or do the elliptical takes a lot of convincing from me.. so I'm trying to look into something I can do at home so I'm more consistent. I bought a Bob Harper cardio DVD and then realized it's chalk full of strength training as well, even doing moves that I do with NROLFW, so it seems like its not a strength training rest day then...

Short answer, I feel like a total slug only working out 3 days a week, so 2 days will be devoted to cardio :)
    What about turbofire
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to incorporate cardio on my off days, but here's the thing... going to the gym JUST to run on the treadmill or do the elliptical takes a lot of convincing from me.

The £60 a month I pay my gym is what gets me there just to run on a treadmill or use the elliptical. I pay for that equipment, I am going to use it lol
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I just added in a day of swimming because I feel like I'm not getting enough cardio during Stage 1. I usually have been walking on my off days, but I feel it's not enough to keep me from gaining fat along with strength. I'd like to have a yoga day built in there too!
  • SeeBerSmile
    SeeBerSmile Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness! I will go crazy only doing a few minutes of lifting three days a week. I feel I need something more. Lol.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I almost posted this exact question a few days ago. I was feeling a bit guilty as I was sneaking in 30 minutes of treadmill on my off days. It seems I'm not alone. Sounds like my 30 min. of walk/jog won't impede my progress.

Thanks!
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I only do cardio that i love on my off days. Like I will bike to work or I will do my favorite taebo tape!
  • jbnl1991
    jbnl1991 Posts: 149
    Options
    I walk on my days off and try to hit the yoga mat, too.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I feel the need for cardio on my off days too, and try really hard not to include any strength related exercises; I can not do the elliptical or treadmill for too long, I just get so bored....

That's the story of my life! It bores me to tears! Sometimes I put a movie on while I'm on the elliptical, but even that doesn't really cut it. Funny how I never needed movies/ music while I was running outside... Also, if I do lots of elliptical for several weeks, my knees start to get stiff/ uncomfortable. A week or two of alternate cardio like kickboxing, dancing, or circuit training usually clears it up, though.

I am too addicted to exercise endorphins for this 3x per week shenanigans. I need my fix, haha!