43 yr old athlete - can't lose weight. Looking for help.

Options
smgillis
smgillis Posts: 2 Member
I am 43 yrs old <well, I'm almost 44> and I'm athletic...I run 3 times a week (4 -5 miles during the week with a longer run on the weekend) with cross-training the other days...I swim, bike and do fitness classes. On a good week, I workout 5 times a week. I have been active since my 20's.

I have a fairly decent diet....lots of veggies, fruit and whole grains with limited red meat. I get my protein from chicken, fish and eggs. HOWEVER, I have young kids...chips, ice cream and wine are my indulgences...and cheese - I love stinky cheese and a nice glass of wine! :-) But, even then, I don't totally overindulge.

For the last 3 yrs I have tried to lose weight. At first, I wanted to lose 3 lbs, but then gain 2 instead. After a few holidays and vacations, I had added on more weight. So, now I want to lose close to 10 lbs. I have tried different tactics over the years...no carbs, no alcohol, added exercise, low carbs (I need some carbs to run),....no alcohol AND added exercise. NOTHING has worked...no wright has been lost. For me, in fact, it's not even the number on the scale but my clothes don't fit anymore.

Does anyone have any success stories or advice? My husband says "It's part of the aging process, you are fighting a losing battle." But, I refuse to accept that answer. REALLY?!!? Once you are 40 you're supposed to accept the weight and by happy about it?!? Go buy a new wardrobe (although, that does kinda sound fun!)?! That's not what I want...I want to feel fit and I want my jeans to fit! Why is that so hard?!

Thanks!

Replies

• VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you can't break away from sugary foods and dairy food, try 5/2 schedule: do not eat sugary food & dairy during the week, but have some on weekends. That will make a big difference.

Sugar gives extra empty calories while dairy bloats you up, both create bad bacteria heaven in your gut. Try 5/2 approach for 4 - 6 weeks and see if it makes a difference. Just do not go overboard on weekend, stay in moderation.
  • marybsalmon
    marybsalmon Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Just turned 43 and can't seem to lose the last 10 pounds of my goal. In fact the past few months I've actually gained a couple of pounds. I eat healthy for the most part but I love to have dessert. I'll try the 5/2 approach for a couple of months and see if that helps.