Books

Options
Is there any ONE great lo-carb book you would insist someone to read if they are embarking on this way of eating?

Replies

• can3mwh
    can3mwh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Real Food Real Easy by George Stella. His story of losing weight low carbing is inspirational and his recipes are great because he uses real food. Check it out!
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm reading (60% done) Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson, (marksdailyapple guy) I can't imagine a better written book that encompasses more information with the reasons why we do what we do and more than a diet eat this not that plan but exercise and lifestyle plan to improve your entire life.
  • sethwdyer
    sethwdyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health
    By Gary Taubes
  • kellyschram72
    kellyschram72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I really appreciate it.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It depends on where they are.

For someone who is skeptical, and not like to put in much effort - I'd go with watching Fathead.
    For someone who just wants to get started, "The New Atkins for a New You". This provides meal plans and quickly gets you going.
    For someone that wants to understand why it works:: "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek' with "Why We Get Fat : and What to Do About It" by Gary Taubes as a first alternate
    For someone who really wants to understand the in depth science, then go to "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes

(ha - I see you asked for ONE book)
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    Like others, I really highly recommend Gary Taubes' books ... both "Why We Get Fat" and "Good Calories, Bad Calories". Mark Sisson's "The Primal Blueprint" is an absolute must read, as is his website, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/. Although he is not a Low Carb'er like Sisson or Gary Taubes, I would go and check out Lou Shuler: http://www.louschuler.com/blog/ .... I also consider his book New Rules of Lifting one of the best books on physiology, nutrition and clean eating and a must read. You don't even have to lift weights to get a ton of value out of it.

If I had to choose one book to get started, I'd say The Primal Blueprint. Or Why We Get Fat.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot Practical Paleo .... darn it ... it has tons of great information about all the various foods you may ever eat and yummy recipes too. Just search on Amazon for it.

And this, on Lou Shuler's blog ... he's got a ton of articles linked to, including ones about his experiments with Paleo eating: http://www.louschuler.com/blog/nutrition-and-weight-loss/

sheesh, I better stop for now ;-)
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    ditto's for Gary
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I would start with Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes or (my personal preference) The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Drs. Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek is my fav.
  • jennb44
    jennb44 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have read a bunch by Dana Carpender (my favorite is "How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds"..loved it!)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ditto for Taubes, and then ignore all the broscience on the main boards that goes on and on about how Taubes has been "debunked" (usually in a thread lauding pop tarts).
  • SaintsFan1975
    Options
    I am reading the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    In addition to everything already mentioned...

The New ME Diet (ME=Metabolic Effect)
    http://books.google.com/books?id=sHYclwEACAAJ&source=gbs_ViewAPI

www.metaboliceffect.com is the website.
  • ellenkilpatrick
    ellenkilpatrick Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I read alot but the Jimmy Moore podcasts cna be downloaded on your smart phone or ipad... these are awesome toopics about low carbing and have many guest speakers with different perspectives... great when you are working out!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Ditto for Taubes, and then ignore all the broscience on the main boards that goes on and on about how Taubes has been "debunked" (usually in a thread lauding pop tarts).

I would disregard this and encourage you to look at James Kriegers work at www.weightology.net so that you can get some views from both sides. And to be clear I'm not suggesting that low carb is bad. If you want to diet that way then give it a shot, but Krieger raises some valid concerns regarding Taubes claims.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

c1jospb.gif
  • souzan651
    souzan651 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It depends on where they are.

For someone who is skeptical, and not like to put in much effort - I'd go with watching Fathead.
    For someone who just wants to get started, "The New Atkins for a New You". This provides meal plans and quickly gets you going.
    For someone that wants to understand why it works:: "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Phinney and Volek' with "Why We Get Fat : and What to Do About It" by Gary Taubes as a first alternate
    For someone who really wants to understand the in depth science, then go to "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes

(ha - I see you asked for ONE book)
    Great to have choice, nice one Kira