Suggestions for evening eating

Options
Hi everyone! I've always heard not to eat after 6pm, 7pm, etc. My problem is I don't get off work until 6pm. I am hungry when I get home so I don't want to not eat. But by the time I get any kind of dinner cooked it's going on 7 or after. Then I go to bed around 9! Any suggestions for light eating that I could perhaps prepare ahead of time?

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I like open face sandwiches when I'm late home from work; peanut Butter and banana or meat and tomato and onion with the meat being sliced chicken, turkey, or roast beef, or a single serving tuna packet. If I've got fewer calories at the end of the day then tuna, lettuce, onion, and tomato. The lettuce can be used as a wrap.
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's just a myth you shouldn't eat after 6 pm, 7 pm, 8 pm...

Of course, when you eat a really salty dish in the evening, and have to drink a few bottles of water, that'll show on the scale the next morning.

But...
    If during a month you eat your calorie-budget all before noon, your weightloss or -gain (depending on the exact amount of cals of course) will be the same as when you had eaten all those calories daily after 5 pm.

And of course, if you eat a very greasy meal at 10 pm, and you aren't exactly in your twenties (I remember I had no problem eating a pack of Belgian fries around midnight when I was around 21), you won't sleep very well...
    But considering weightloss, it really doesn't matter when you eat your calories.
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    And suggestions for meals...
    We're vegetarian (eat sometimes some fish), and when I know that I will be home after six, I prepare a chili-'sin'-carne the day before, and only have to cook some rice or quinoa when I come home.
    Beandishes are easy to freeze, so they're very convenient to have in the freezer for those days...
  • kathleenann1962
    kathleenann1962 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! One reason I don't like to eat late - in addition to the fact I thought you "shouldn't" for weight loss - is that I don't sleep well if I eat right before going to bed.

I thought maybe I might try eating a substantial snack around 4-5 and then just eat a light salad or sandwich for dinner.
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I like your new plan. Sounds like it will really help. Like you I can't eat and then go to bed even if I need too. The indigestion gets me.