5 mile race one week before half marathon

natalie412
natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
My training plan calls for 12-14 miles with the last 2-4 at goal HM pace the Saturday a week before my half, but I don't think I want to run that far, and I will probably have at least 3 12-14 mile runs in by that time. Any reason a 5 mile race would hurt me? If I am feeling beat up by then, I can not go for a PR in the 5 mile race. But, its not like there is any recovery time from a 5 mile race.

Its a local race put on by my Rec Center, which is why I want to do it.

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    I have only been training and have not run a competitive half yet, but my 10+ mile runs have generally been farther apart than a week with runs of 5-8 miles every few days in between. I don't plan to run over 8 miles within a week of my first half. I think if you are ready, you are ready and a 5 mile run is not taking a day off by any stretch.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    I asked almost this exact same question earlier this year before I ran my half. This is the feedback I got.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/862984-advice-needed-about-marathon-training-and-race-timing?hl=advice+needed+about+marathon+training+and+race+timing#posts-13118574

(However I did end up running the race)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You should have no problems running the 5 miler
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    There IS recovery after a hard raced 5 mile race; therefore, I wouldn't race any distance a week before a goal race.

If the HM is a goal race, then I wouldn't race the 5 miler. If you are dead set on running it, then do a 2 to 3 mile warm up, run the 5 mile race at HM pace, then do a mile or two cool down. That way you have accomplished two goals, running the race and getting in a race pace workout the week before the race.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    There IS recovery after a hard raced 5 mile race; therefore, I wouldn't race any distance a week before a goal race.

If the HM is a goal race, then I wouldn't race the 5 miler. If you are dead set on running it, then do a 2 to 3 mile warm up, run the 5 mile race at HM pace, then do a mile or two cool down. That way you have accomplished two goals, running the race and getting in a race pace workout the week before the race.

This is exactly what I was going to say (but probably a lot more clearly written than I would have done LOL)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Thanks everyone, you've given me something to think about. I haven't decided yet. My next half after the one in September is in November, and wouldn't you know it, there is a very hilly 12K I would like to do the week before (I did it last year, and know I can do it a lot faster). Ugh.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    My training plan calls for 12-14 miles with the last 2-4 at goal HM pace the Saturday a week before my half, but I don't think I want to run that far, and I will probably have at least 3 12-14 mile runs in by that time. Any reason a 5 mile race would hurt me? If I am feeling beat up by then, I can not go for a PR in the 5 mile race. But, its not like there is any recovery time from a 5 mile race.

Its a local race put on by my Rec Center, which is why I want to do it.

I'd do the FFLR.

Greg's plans are constructed around the Endurance, Stamina, Speed, and Sprint zones. Different runs are designed for each zone and different zones are emphasized in the different phases of the training plan.

When you get to the last few weeks of a McMillan plan, you're finishing the race specific training (under the Phase column) and you're going to peak in the last two weeks of the training plan.

If you do a 5 mile race, you're at the high end of a Stamina run (page 105 of "You only Faster") instead of an endurance run. The FFLR ("fast finish long run") is categorized as a "marathon predictor" run so maybe you could think of it as a long stamina run?

My thinking:
    1 - go to the smart guy = email Greg. He was extremely approachable at his running camp so I'm thinking that he'd knock out a quick reply to you without setting up a coaching plan (and sending him $$).

2 - stick to the plan and get more endurance. Like Greg said in one session "Anyone here out to win a marathon?" No one (except the Olympian at the back of the room) raised a hand. He went on to emphasize the need to not get injured and, second, the need to increase our endurance.

For me, I'd go with FFLR because I'm coming to the conclusion that I mucked up my Half on Sunday not because I didn't have the speed (it's relative, right!) but because I didn't have the endurance to carry my pace past mile 10.3. And one of the reasons for that is that I had to cut a few runs short, including an FFLR, because of hip pain.

I just saw the pictures from Sunday of me dragging my butt over the last few miles and the pix look as scary-bad as it felt.

For me, for now, and forever, I will gladly give up a couple of seconds per mile to save a couple of minutes hobbling toward the finish line.