Virtual 5K

Options
AglaeaC
AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
Anyone interested in a virtual 5K race?

I'd like to know exactly how far that 5K is. My current intervals take me on about 3K, so 2 kilometres on top of those isn't too bad. I can't run it all yet, but I do have the capacity to walk pre- and post-C25K so to speak.

It could be a lot of fun to pick a weekend or such, then have everyone post their time, and next race we could do against our own times again, shrink walks and expand runs! In?

Replies

• babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    a 5k is 3.1 miles long.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    a 5k is 3.1 miles long.
    I don't use miles. What I meant was how long 5 kilometres are in this context. Obviously I know distances in my own unit, but I haven't done the walk-run combo for longer than the 3 kilometres I mentioned earlier.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I'm in.
    Excellent!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Let me know the day and I'll see if I can work it into my run schedule.
  • toni_mmh
    toni_mmh Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'll get back to you on this... currently sidelined until results of stress test.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Let me know the day and I'll see if I can work it into my run schedule.

This^
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Let me know which day and I'll try to join in.

When I ran under 5K, I walked and ran for a distance of 5K or more to give myself an idea of the distance I was aiming at. It helped to visualize my goal that way.
    A side benefit to this seems to be that I am fairly accurate at "knowing" the distances as I run along a new route. Not exact; but close.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Oh wow, well, SparkPeople arranged a virtual 5K once and it lasted for a week so that everyone, who wanted to participate was able to - in all time zones, too! I thought it was a neat concept, so maybe we could do a weekend-5K here? Let it stretch from Friday to Sunday?
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I'm not up to jogging a whole 5k yet but I'd love to run/walk one with you all :happy:
  • lua_
    lua_ Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Oh wow, well, SparkPeople arranged a virtual 5K once and it lasted for a week so that everyone, who wanted to participate was able to - in all time zones, too! I thought it was a neat concept, so maybe we could do a weekend-5K here? Let it stretch from Friday to Sunday?

Love that. When I bandited a virtual 10k, the running had to be done on Mother's Day.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I'm getting excited already!

Here's the thread once you've finished your walk/run:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080026-virtual-5k-august-23-25-2013
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Super! I think I have a 45 minute easy run on Sunday, so I should do at least 3.1 miles
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options

I'm up for this - I'd need to flip my run from a Monday but I'm sure that can be done with a bit of jiggling.

I've not been in a race for 30yrs lol
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I will attempt it on Sat. but may have to walk a bit.
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I can sadly not join. I will be leaving Friday and not returning until Sunday. I will be lucky if I can get to a treadmill this weekend :( or even outside to talk. That's ok. I will be having fun with weekend no matter what.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I can sadly not join. I will be leaving Friday and not returning until Sunday. I will be lucky if I can get to a treadmill this weekend :( or even outside to talk. That's ok. I will be having fun with weekend no matter what.
    Have fun! Join next time.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Let's do this again at the end of September when I finish the program ;) I'd love to do it I just am following C25k to a T! I'll stalk that other post though for results :) Sounds like a fun thing for us to do :)
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    No 5k for me. It was pouring down rain when I started so I just took a route that would let me finish W7D2 but get me back at my door as soon as possible. I'll do the next one!