Grip, Forearm, and Lattisimus Strength

Options
Val_from_OH
Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
Hi All -

I'm on my second round of NROL4W. I stopped at the end of Stage 5 last time due to time constraints, and now I am nearly finished with Stage 3. Honestly, I am not happy with the strength gains that I am seeing so far. My deadlifts, lat pull downs, and lunges (all types) are being limited by my grip strength - even with gloves. I simply cannot hold onto 35 lb dumbells or a 120 lb bar for the required number of reps. My lat strength is so poor too, and not improving. I've been stuck at around 70 lbs on lat pulldown, and 65 - 75 lbs on the bentover rows and unable to progress. I also injure this muscle often, just by doing everyday activities, let alone lifts.

Have any of you experienced similar struggles - is there anything to be done other than keep trying?

Replies

• hopeelizabeth11
    hopeelizabeth11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For the grip, it might be worth looking into the use of straps
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My best advise & what has helped me the most...............

Hang off the pull-up bar or off the rings EVERY chance you get. I was complaining about this to my husband not long after I started, as well as telling him my ultimate goal during this program is to be able to do at least 1 full pull-up by the end. He lives by pull-ups & used to body build, and he told me everytime you hit the gym hang off the bar, do some knees to chest so you get some stomach work while working on your grip strength as well. I have been doing it for a while now and must say it's awesome! I have since started working on kipping pull-ups and toes to bar, and when I am at home I hang off my husbands crossfit rings, those thisngs right there will make you strong!

For my DL, once I reached 135+ I also switched to a split grip......

Happy Lifting :happy:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you have to keep trying. :smile:

If you are eating at a calorie deficit, you probably won't make huge strength gains on any of your lifts. Once you've lifted for a while, you don't get those rapid "newbie" strength gains.

My advice is to do farmer's carries with the heaviest dumbbells you can carry at the end of each workout. That will help to build your grip strength.

The thing that has helped me the most with increasing weights is to find resources on proper form and improve my form. I use t-nation.com frequently, but I know bodybuilding.com also has good articles and videos on form. Even on a lift like lat pull-downs, there are ways you can "cheat" by using improper form, and small tweaks you can use to improve your form enough to lift a little more.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Oops -- double post.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    This is my continued problem also. I got into trouble when I was lifting every other day.... if you start feeling injured by it then space your workouts more. By the end of stage 7 I feel my grip had caught up a bit. It will always be my weakest part though - very frustrating!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I find that gloves hinder my grip rather than help it. I have short fingers and just the extra thickness from the gloves gives me trouble. I also agree with all of the above. It's also fine to reset your grip on heavy DLs between reps.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also am prone to pulling my trap. I found that warming up properly is key to me not injuring it during workouts. Make sure you do some warmup sets on any of the shoulder exercises. Stretch it and roll it afterward. I also tend to sleep in awkward positions that aggravate it.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. It is super frustrating. I am going to try the hanging thing though and see how that helps. I am just finishing stage one and I am a bit frustrated with my grip.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    For your deadlifts, are you using a "mixed grip"? Because, I can go quite a bit higher in my weight with that (i.e. one hand over and one hand under, rather than both hands over).