Serious question for my Big & Tall peoples

CapnDonkey
CapnDonkey Posts: 108 Member
First question is: Where did our ladyposters go?

Second, more serious question: Do you ever read the other side of these boards? You all know the ones. "I'm 135lbs and I can't gain weight no matter what I do, I just stay skinny". Now, I'm not dismissing these peoples claims. I go to the gym 5 days a week, and I see little guys busting their *kitten* trying to pack on muscle, imagining that they are just as frustrated as I am when the scale isn't going the direction you want. Now my question is: Would you trade places? Would you be willing to be hyper skinny and not able to gain muscle/weight?

I sure as **** wouldn't. I love being a big guy. I may joke with my little brother, (who in actuality is 2 inches taller than I am but until recently was 200 lbs lighter) about how it must suck to not be able to gain weight at all, but I don't think I'd ever want to trade places with him. He's 6'4" and weighs 167 lbs. I can OHP my own brother with relative ease.

So what do you say, Big and Tall brothers (and sisters, if you're still lurking out there), would you switch and be skinny if you could?

Replies

• baird3605
    baird3605 Posts: 28 Member
    Nope! I prefer to be Big Ed... I just want to be a slightly smaller Big Ed. I have a few friends that are skin and bones and I've heard them complain about not being able to gain weight. I can't understand it, but I also know they don't have a clue how I got to be as big as I am.

I just keep thinking to myself. If I lost some weight and started doing some lifting... I might really be intimidating. Well, that is until they see my teddy bear face.
  • moolfson
    moolfson Posts: 29
    Egads. I'd never want to be small. I've always been large framed and strong. Corn-fed as they say.
  • bads1
    bads1 Posts: 39 Member
    I 4th that, never had any desire to be small, let alone hyper skinny. Can't help on the first question...
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    I certainly wouldn't mind being shorter... being able to sit in a normal coach seat on an airplane, sit somewhere besides on the rail in a movie theatre, not be asked 12x per day how tall I am or who I played ball for in college, be able to easily find clothes in any style at normal prices... not be plagued for life with uncooperative joints and tendons... stuff like that.

That said, I'm also naturally stronger than the average man and like you said I can put on muscle more easily. I've always been a BMF. I have no idea what it's like to be a little fella, and I guess I like it that way. I'm a naturally protective person (probably because of my size), and (definitely because of my size) people don't mess with me or the loved ones around me. I think I would hate feeling vulnerable.

So, my life is what it is. I like it, but there are issues I deal with like everyone else does. I don't think I'd want to trade with a skinny type. I just want to be a healthier and more fit big guy :)
  • baird3605
    baird3605 Posts: 28 Member
    I certainly wouldn't mind being shorter... being able to sit in a normal coach seat on an airplane, sit somewhere besides on the rail in a movie theatre, not be asked 12x per day how tall I am or who I played ball for in college, be able to easily find clothes in any style at normal prices... not be plagued for life with uncooperative joints and tendons... stuff like that.

I couldn't say it better myself! I laughed because I get those questions ALL the time too! And my wife's family lives in California (I live in Midwest) and we fly out there about once a year... I hate it.
  • CapnDonkey
    Yeah, I'm only 6'2", but my little brother is 6'4" and skinny and my older brother is 6'8" and at a healthy weight. He does indeed get asked all the time how tall he is.

One of my favorite anecdotes comes from my time as a regular at the local pub by my house, which has sadly closed. I used to go there with my good friend Joe quite often. Joe is 'normal' sized, 5'8" and 165lbs. He is also a loudmouth. I love that about him, but I can definitely see where he can grate on strangers.

One day, Joe was jawing at some rival football fans on a Sunday afternoon, nothing too offensive, but still instigating a good number of strangers while I stood behind him watching the game quietly. An older gentleman, who was also a regular, approached him and calmly told him that there were three reasons he didn't routinely get his *kitten* kicked. He pointed at me and said "And he's all three of 'em". I admit, I've never thought of myself as intimidating, because I have a cheerful, round face. Even my angry face just looks silly. Now that I have been serious about the gym, I look more angular and defined, and people are starting to notice. And I kinda like it. I LOVE feeling big and strong.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    I like posts like this one above. the "angular and more defined" part is exactly what I'm after, and you being a few (several?) months ahead of me but on the same basic journey is like getting a preview of the light at the end of the tunnel :)

I'm glad this group exists. Stuff is just different for big dudes. Carry on, brothers (and any sisters who might be lurking).
  • CapnDonkey
    That's why I created this community. There are a lot of people like us, and yet our kind is very under-represented here. I started this community so big guys and gals could share stories that we all could relate to. None of us want to read about some 5'6" 165lb guy trying to get his arms bigger. We have different struggles. We also have some good stories about being big. This is the place for that.

Speaking of, off to create a new SUBTOPIC.
  • dactonaw
    dactonaw Posts: 14 Member
    No way!! As much as I hate the How tall are you? What size shoe is that? and being called sarcastically as "shorty". I could never be stick thin I enjoy my ability to be physically strong and admired for it. While sometimes it isn't cool for the ladies to avoid me for my strength and size, it has come in handy to intimidate people and for some odd reason I really like to be asked to help lift things and such. Even to help people get stuff off the top shelf haha.