My supply keeps dropping with weight loss

ks4e
ks4e Posts: 374 Member
Unless I eat lactation cookies AND have nursing teas daily, my supply drops even if I up my calories. But with the cookies and teas and the added calories, I am not losing the weight. i am hanging onto about 15-20 extra pounds, after gaining less than 35 lbs during my pregnancy.

I pump at work and I can tell if my supply drops. These past two weeks, I finally beat my plateau, and then my supply dropped about 2 oz. This week, my supply has dropped another oz. My DD nurses much more frequently at night.

Even with exercise (walking/running/weights) my weight isn't budging and my supply begins to tank without cookies and teas on a daily basis. I eat healthy fats and proteins (I'd say 80% of the time I'm on track with my diet) and I make sure I do have some carbs. I eat lots of leafy greens, soups, and stay hydrated.

Any suggestions or tips?

Replies

• waltzingaround11
    waltzingaround11 Posts: 20 Member
    All I can say is supply and demand. Make sure you've emptied completely after nursing/pumping and nurse/pump frequently.

Oats, fenugreek, and water also SEEM to help but I'm not sure. Definitely get best results from nursing/pumping fully and often.

I do remember when I was working and pumping with my first child I was losing supply due to stress because I felt uncomfortable with the amount of time it took (a coworker who sat next to me commented on how long I took EVERY time I came back) and when that coworker went on vacation and I felt no pressure to hurry up and my supply went back up.
  • ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    I agree with ks4e!! My supply was low when I started losing weight. I took fenugreek tablets and eat oats mainly every morning and my supply is back up now. Hope it does the same for you.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Sigh. No real suggestions. I am pretty much in the same boat where my supply will be fine if I'm not trying to lose weight, but requires some help (Mother's Milk tea) if I try to restrict calories.

Also, I just have to share (because I think you'll feel my pain) that two days ago I went on a new mom date. NMD was nursing her 7 month old, and I asked her if she knew how long she was going to do it (curious to see how many others are going for the one year mark like me). She said, "I'm hoping to go for a year too. But I am just losing so much weight, I don't know if I can make it there!" (She was probably 6 feet tall and 115 pounds.) I was like, "Yeah, I pretty much hate you. Haha. But really..."
  • ks4e
    Sigh. No real suggestions. I am pretty much in the same boat where my supply will be fine if I'm not trying to lose weight, but requires some help (Mother's Milk tea) if I try to restrict calories.

Also, I just have to share (because I think you'll feel my pain) that two days ago I went on a new mom date. NMD was nursing her 7 month old, and I asked her if she knew how long she was going to do it (curious to see how many others are going for the one year mark like me). She said, "I'm hoping to go for a year too. But I am just losing so much weight, I don't know if I can make it there!" (She was probably 6 feet tall and 115 pounds.) I was like, "Yeah, I pretty much hate you. Haha. But really..."

Hahaha about the NM. That's how my sister and cousins all are (we had babies all around the same time). And here I am, all dumpy and feeling gross.

I am thankful my daughter is getting solids but I would just like enough to maintain her until I get home from work. I think the fact that I am away from her for 9 hours and relying on the pump makes it much harder to maintain my supply. I do breast compressions while pumping and I feel as though I'm doing everything right, yet I still struggle.

Perhaps it's best if I stop counting calories altogether and just rely on daily physical activity?
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I'm home with my 3mo and pump 1-2x/week, and I've discovered that I can lose (slowly) at 2000 cals/day. Any less and I stall, plus my supply suffers. Any more and I stall or gain. So 2000 is my happy medium, but either that or block feeding to deal with an oversupply has lowered it a bit. My baby was waking up a ton at night to eat. I had supply issues with my older son, and fenugreek, blessed thistle, and brewer's yeast tablets did zero for me. This time eating two lactation cookies twice a day (two with breakfast and two with dinner) and drinking mother's milk tea (two cups iced at lunch and one hot cup before bed) seems to maintain it enough to keep my son satisfied. Pumping is more of a time issue than anything.

But yeah, the weight loss thing really pisses me off! Nursing is supposed to help it, not hurt it! Based on my experience last time, when I was hardly able to nurse/pump, I should be 10-15 lbs lighter than I am now. But, among other things, formula is way too damn expensive, and nursing is so easy. Just whip out a boob, then put it away!
  • ks4e
    Just finished pumping today. I did 3x instead of 2x and I barely have 3 ounces. I am going to double check all my removable pump parts and see if they need to be replaced. My breasts don't feel as full either so I highly doubt it's a pump issue. My nipples are actually a bit sore because I have been turning up the suction trying to express more milk this whole week.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Have you tried power pumping? Pumping ten minutes on, ten minutes off for an hour? ( or 20 min on/off?)
    Turning up the suction may not be helping; if your nipples are distressed, your body won't relax during pumping and you'll make less milk.

When I feel like my supply is dropping, I try to pump after every feeding to fully drain my breasts. If I have time, even after pumping I do a little hand expression to get the last remaining bit out.

Here's a useful video:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
  • ks4e
    I power pumped over the weekend and it seemed to help a bit by about half an ounce. Thanks so much for the suggestion! I am able to get the necessary ounces for my daughter by also pumping at home at each nursing session, which results in 1/4 to a full ounce each time.

I alternated between a manual and electric pump, just to double check that it wasn't my manual pump malfunctioning.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    How old is your baby? I feel like I produce less now that she's older, also because she's eating solids she's not nursing as frequently so less milk there.
  • ks4e
    She is almost 9 months but still needs at least 4-5 oz. while I am at work. I ate like, 6 lactation cookies yesterday and was able to pump over 3 oz in one session. I guess I will have to rely on these. I worry a bit because my daughter is petite (only 14.5 lbs) and while she is taking solids, she still needs mama's milk.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    I use coconut oil in my coffee, and my supply has been steadily increasing and the milk is nice and thick - perfect for baby. So far, this has worked the best for me.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    I use coconut oil in my coffee, and my supply has been steadily increasing and the milk is nice and thick - perfect for baby. So far, this has worked the best for me.

When all else fails... coconut oil. That stuff works for everything. I am filing this tidbit away...
  • vim_n_vigor

When all else fails... coconut oil. That stuff works for everything. I am filing this tidbit away...
    I was skeptical, but my supply has doubled over this week, and the milk is so creamy, and he seems to be enjoying it a lot more too!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Hmm...coconut oil. I don't know if I could drink it with my coffee, but now I'm wondering what I could use it on for this milk increase. Sounds nice.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    PS: Vim-n-Vigor, what brand do you use? Are you employing any other milk-increasing strategies?
  • vim_n_vigor
    I am now drinking whole milk, but only about 8 oz a day. I have upped my fruits and veggies and added one yogurt with live cultures (not made with live cultures, but containing), and added 1-2 tsp of coconut oil a day. I am using Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil. At the beginning of the week I was getting 3.5 - 4 oz of milk when I pumped. I am up to 7-8 oz each time now.
  • tattedchic
    tattedchic Posts: 66 Member

Perhaps it's best if I stop counting calories altogether and just rely on daily physical activity?

^YES! THIS! I stopped worrying so much about what I ate and just relied on exercise, and I've lost almost all the baby weight and still have a slight over-supply. Also, take your fenugreek!
  • ks4e
    I will try adding in more coconut oil! Thanks so much! I always make my cookies with coconut oil, so that might have a lot to do with it, including the brewers yeast and other things in the cookies. I use about 8 tbsp. for 12 large cookies.

i also just ordered a bottle of marshmallow root which is said to also help produce fattier milk. I've never produced super fatty milk. It's always appeared skimmish (with about 10% of "cream" along the top). I was told that my body knows what it's doing and to not worry, but clearly, I have been needing some help since my body struggles quite a bit with my production.

You ladies are a wealth of helpful information! Thanks so much!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    I didn't know coconut oil helped your supply! I'll have to get some :) I tried last week for general health purposes, but they were out. Someone told me Costco sells it, but I was there yesterday and forgot to buy it.

My supply is fine for feeding purposes, but I would like a better supply to pump more. I can get about 3 oz on a good day. I'd be thrilled to get 7-8! (I think the most I ever got was 6 oz, but that was early on when I had an oversupply.)

I would love coconut in my coffee :D