Calories on the water

Options
LindaStL64
LindaStL64 Posts: 12 Member
I was wondering how others calculate the amount of calories burned when they row on the water. My practices are 2 hours long but I would guess 30-40 minutes are wasted waiting for lineups, getting oars and general milling around. Once we are on the water, the amount and intensity can vary by whether we are rowing by 4's, 6's or 8's and whether we are doing drills or steady state rowing. I've been just guestimating based on how much actual rowing I do and the intensity of the work out.

Anyone have a better way of calculating calories burned on the water?

Replies

• Howard_99503
    Options
    I use my polar heart rate monitor. I start it just before I push off the dock and stop it when I'm done. It gives me the calories I've expended. Today it said I was out for 62 minutes and burned 504 calories.

When I log in my exercise I go by the calories the heart rate monitor says. For me, MFP says when I row at moderate effort for 52 minutes I burn 506 calories. That's close enough for me and I logged in 52 minutes of rowing moderate effort.

Kinda makes sense because I have to waste time every 1,000 meters on the lake turning the boat around and I bet I spent more than 10 minutes doing that today.

I think if you can keep track of the minutes you actually row, I'd bet the number of calories MPF says you burned would be fairly close, at least not way out of the ballpark.
  • LindaStL64
    LindaStL64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks Howard. When I'm in a single, it's pretty easy to determine how long I'm rowing. When I'm in an 8 sometimes it seems I spend a lot of time sitting and it makes it harder to gauge.
  • RogueViper101
    Options
    I too use my Polar heart rate monitor for my rowing sessions on the water. Although I row in a different type of boat than most people use (Pilot Gig). I start the monitor when we push out from the slipway and stop it when I get out or after lifting the heavy wooden boat out of the water and pushed into the tunnel.

General 60 minute crew workout for me is generally between 700-900 calories.
  • ruthbardell
    ruthbardell Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bit late to this conversation, but I also row gigs