Week 1 Challenge !!!!!

Options
fitmom_pam1976
fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
Hi Guys!!! I am soooo excited to get this challenge started!!! I want to start by thanking everyone for joining the group. I have put together a video for our Week 1 Challenge.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ZDVj1FlGg&feature=youtu.be

I also wanted to encourage you guys to friend request each other so we can keep in touch! Good Luck with the Week 1 Challenge and don't forget to post on this thread you accomplishments or hurdles. We are here to support each other :)

Pam :)

Replies

• AZRunnerGirlinErie
    AZRunnerGirlinErie Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Awesome - ready to start! I love the water challenge since I have trouble meeting my daily goal and the daily crunches. Thanks for getting us back on track! :smile:
  • WendyCollinson2004
    WendyCollinson2004 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with the water. For those who do have problems with drinking plenty of water you can try all kinds of things. Pam had a good suggestion, not that I have done that. Anyway, I have used MiO, they have a lot of flavors and even some for energy and fitness. I am now using Sweetleaf Stevia drops that are flavored; I have chocolate and grape flavored and I love them. They are kind of expensive, but they last a long time. For every 8oz drink you put in 5 drops.
    Crunches are a problem for me. I will try my darnest, but I won't promise to get them done. I have hated sit-ups and crunches since I was a young kid.
  • gdneff
    gdneff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Morning All,

Just wanted to wish everyone a good week and give some of the water tricks that I have found work for me. I am usually not a big water drinker but have been trying to do better. The one thing I have to do is have flavored something or other with my meals. So, I use my meals as a "treat". If I want a diet coke at lunch I have to drink 3 cups of water before then (or dang close). I only allow myself the "treat" while I am eating. Once the meal is done, the "treat" is done. Then if I have drunk my other 3 cups by dinner, I "treat" myself with crystal light flavoring. I know I am still drinking water (and count it that way) but at least it has the flavoring that helps me get through my meal. Then by the end of the day, I have my 8 cups in. Just a little something that I came up with. Kinda nice to meet those mini goals and get those "treats" each day.

I must also say about the crunches/situps. Since I am having some back issues, I may not be able to complete this part of the challenge. I will try it today and see how it goes and make a decision from there. I also don't currently exercise so my goal for exercising three times a week is going to be to at least get up and get moving as often as I can.

Again, good luck to everyone this week. Remember, no matter how much or how little you do, you are already ahead of the person who is still sitting on that couch. :laugh:

Ginger
  • pmhandlo11
    pmhandlo11 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I also "treat" myself-i drink 2 water bottles then allow myself a powerade or crystal lite in my water!! So usually don't have too much trouble with the water.....I will have to "apply" myself with the crunches tho......I actually find that it helps stretch my back out a little bit.
    Best of Luck to everyone!!
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Awesome challenge Pam!!

Let's do this!!!

Cheers,

Alsison
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips ladies.:flowerforyou: I am going to be working out 5 - 6 days a week and do pretty well with the water. I know I can do the crunches. My main challenge this week is staying in my calories. I need to focus focus!!
  • Suz67
    Suz67 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I will do my best with the crunches. I'm not a fan but easier than sit ups. Would the pilates 100 work?
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Thursday 8/22:

I logged ALL of my food in today. (Even the not so good stuff) and I still was under in my cals. I also drank 9 glasses of water today (and spent half the day in the bathroom) LOL!

I did my 100 crunches (at 10:30 p.m.)!!! I did not get to the gym today :( I had a busy cleaning the house kind of day. I have my in laws coming to visit tomorrow, so I wanted everything to look perfect ;) I will definately hit the gym tomorrow morning.

******BTW for any of you that can not do the crunches for whatever physical reasons, please feel free to replace this acticity with something else..... like Squats or lunges. You decide... :)
  • tleonhardt
    tleonhardt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am ready for this challenge! I am hoping to lose close to 8 lb. (7.5) in 4 weeks, which may be ambitious, but since this is the beginning of my journey, I am hopeful. So far today, I have met all challenges except I haven't yet done the sit-ups. I am thinking that week 1 I will break them up into 5 sets of 20; week 2, 4 of 25; week 3, 2 of 50, and by week 4 I hope to be able to all 100 in a row. One tip for water that I use is I fill up 4-16 oz. bottles ahead of time and take them wherever I go. I also treat myself to a 12 oz. can of La Croix sparkling water when I crave some carbonation without any additives but with a little flavor. Good luck to everyone as we embark on this challenge!!
  • hanginrailranch
    hanginrailranch Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ready set go! we are gonna get there girly!
  • hanginrailranch
    hanginrailranch Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pam!
    Week One sounds like a good start and a good base effort--both on the nutrition and physical work out....I am of the age that recording all eating used to be pen and paper...yuk......MFP allows a quick and dirty way to get the information down w/ immediate feedback in evaluating the nutritional component of what is going into my mouth...and what is not! LOL ..MFP makes this easy...agree that recording is a great way to 'get back' to the task at hand!!!
    I moaned to hear about the crunches but know my base core needs this badly!!! thanks for the pain!! LOL
  • pmhandlo11
    pmhandlo11 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I stayed under in my calories, i did my exercise, but I could only do 60 crunch's. I'm sure I could have pushed myself to do them but I don't want to be in such discomfort that I can't do them tomorrow. Hope you all had a great day :)

oh and I drank my water whooo hoooo
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks Pam!

I have been slacking on my water so this is great. So far I have drank 5.5. I'm going to try to make it to 8...

I workout almost every day, so my fitness goal this week is to branch out and try a spinning class on Wednesday. This is a big challenge for me because it means the following:

1. Getting outside of my comfort zone.
    2. Trying something new by myself - always kind of scary.
    3. The class is at 5:45 am which is earlier than I usually get up.

I'm counting on all of you to hold me to this! I thought Spinning would be a good workout in the winter when I can't run outside anymore.

I'm going to do the crunches tonight before my evening stretches. I'm ready for some sore abs!

I'm still a dedicated logger. I haven't gotten to the point where I don't have to log.

Good luck everyone!
  • phyl303
    phyl303 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty fanatical about logging. I'm 100+/- my goal almost every day. I have a cheat day most weekends, but that honestly is usually alcohol and not a binge day, just not on goal.

Water is not a problem for me anymore. I drink buckets every day.

One thing I think has really helped me is advice from a friend who is a personal trainer and very fit bike rider. He taught me to drink 32 ounces of water FIRST THING every morning. He said the only thing I can do before I drink is pee. lol He also told me to be kind to myself. Work up to it. The other water rule he gave me was half my weight in ounces a day MINIMUM. So, if you weigh 200 pounds, you should have at least 100 ounces every day. I credit that early morning water with a better, ahem, bathroom routine if you know what I mean. I think that helps a lot.

When I was building my water habit ----you have to foster good habits just like you have to break bad ones ---- I had to give myself mini-goals and deadlines through the day. I follow the same basic structure now except it's not so hard any more. I work a 8-5 office job. When I arrive at work, I fill a 32 ounces sports bottle from the water cooler. I "have" to drink that before I "let" myself take my lunch break. After lunch, I refill and "have" the same deadline before I "let" myself leave to go home. That water is my core 8 x 8 ounces = 64 everyone talks about. The 32 from wake up time makes 96, which is more than my weight divided by two target, so the water I have with meals and at home after work are my weight flushing surplus!

The 32 ounces bottle works for me but I know it can look like a gallon sitting there taunting you. If you like my deadline plan, you could use a smaller glass and cut the morning and afternoon into two separate goal periods. Another trick I've heard in the past is to use a "pretty" glass, a wine goblet, anything as long as you DRINK THE WATER!

There's my two cents on H2O. Hope that helps.
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    O.k. .... I got in lots of exercise today including the crunches:bigsmile: drank the water:smile: , ate healthy.. but too much:sad: and went over a bit on calories. I will really be working on that. For some reason I just was feeling so hungry today. Maybe I will up the protein some tomorrow to keep me fuller longer.
  • gingerFLA
    gingerFLA Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Starting off the BOTC with a cold...who gets a cold during the summer?!?!? So I'm hoping the water helps to flush it out...looking forward to getting out for a run! Logged all food, under calorie goal (by 35) for the day, and got my water in. Yeah! Let's do this!
  • yspen42
    yspen42 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Completed my 100 crunches
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I stayed under my calories!! I even resisted cheesecake, which is huge for me. I had one small piece and put the rest in the fridge. I had 53 calories left, I don't let many go uneaten. I love food.
    I also reached my water goal. Not sure exactly how many I drank, but I definitely drank at least 8 cups. I chug on a big bottle at work all day, and drank lots during tennis.
    As for exercise, I played tennis for almost 2 hours, and I also completed the crunches. I almost forgot about them. I did them right before bed!!
  • mmcqueen927
    mmcqueen927 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Ok, I drank 100 ozs of water today:drinker: , I logged all my food the good and the bad. I must confess I went over my calories:mad: , but I just got home not to long ago and made myself do my 100 crunches, some leg and butt exercises. Tomorrow I will do better. Now I am off to bed.
  • mazarith
    mazarith Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Water...check
    Exercise....2 X 20 min, before & afte work. small workout day. :grumble:
    crunches...60