Prepping for My First Competition =) AHH!

Options
deniselynn13
deniselynn13 Posts: 126 Member
Hey everyone! I have been in this group for a while, but haven't been too involved until now. I am starting training on the 26th of this month for my first show, which will be in April of 2014. Haven't decided if i will do figure or bikini yet. I am going to a posing and presentation clinic next weekend with Gary Udit, Lynn Sambuca and Dave Lieberman. I am hoping that helps me begin to prepare.

I do have a ways to go before i am ready (i am being completely honest with myself) and currently am training myself due to cost. I would love any and all feedback, advice etc!

For those of you in this group willing to take on another friend, i would love the add since i beleive we are all in this together and girls who compete are like a family!!!

Good luck to all competitors out there, especially all of us newbies!!!

Denise :)

Replies

• 1codi2
    1codi2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey! Im just getting on this site to start tracking my "cut" diet for a potentional show in Nov.. ( biting nails). If I bail on that one for either a. Wussing out or b. Not being ready, then I will for sure be doing one in April. The next 5 weeks will determine if I sign up. Im on week 2 of cut and its just crazy to me to think this will be my life over the next 10 weeks! I do all my training by myself except training one day a week (legs) with a trainer and picking his brain the whole time so maybe something like thar could be an option instead of hiring a coach? Find someone who knows shows and they will spill all their secrets in excitement! I have not even begun to look into posing or anything else for that manner so April may be a better option...we will see! - Codi
  • brazilnut05
    brazilnut05 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I have been in this group for a while, but haven't been too involved until now. I am starting training on the 26th of this month for my first show, which will be in April of 2014. Haven't decided if i will do figure or bikini yet. I am going to a posing and presentation clinic next weekend with Gary Udit, Lynn Sambuca and Dave Lieberman. I am hoping that helps me begin to prepare.

I do have a ways to go before i am ready (i am being completely honest with myself) and currently am training myself due to cost. I would love any and all feedback, advice etc!

For those of you in this group willing to take on another friend, i would love the add since i beleive we are all in this together and girls who compete are like a family!!!

Good luck to all competitors out there, especially all of us newbies!!!

Denise :)

We're in the same boat! Friend request/message sent... :)
  • Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn
    Sh0ewh0re7_BlingItOn Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You KNOW I'm behind ya 100% Denise!!!! Anything you need...ask :)
  • jaimelb94
    jaimelb94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have just started my competition prep as well, will be doing a show either end of October or first of November. There are two shows back to back so I guess it will depend on which one I am ready for. Would love to have some competition friends.
  • temple_n
    temple_n Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Denise, I'm sorry to hijack your post but I feel that you might get something out of this too.

Hi, my name's Temple. I'm 7 weeks out from my first competition and it's as if my brain just can't take anymore. It's not a lack of motivation, I really do want this and I'm willing to do what it takes. Now I see why people use a coach. I just want someone to tell me what to do next. Things are having to change constantly now as I approach the date. I'm 35 and I'm not leaning out like I'd like to, I think (I don't even know). You can tell I'm lost, I'm sure. I'm reaching out in the hopes that you might be willing to take the time to guide me or help me design a nutrition schedule for these last few weeks and an easy workout schedule. I'm not asking for it to all be spelled out, just a general guideline.

Here's what I'm doing:

Meal 1
    Oats
    Egg Whites (usually with yummies like onion and mushroom and low sodium fresh salsa).
    Coffee
    Women's multi-vitamin
    Probiotic
    Magnesium Citrate
    Shredded-X (a fat burner recommended to me)
    CLA

Work out 1
    M,W,F Weights (Chest/Back/Shoulders on Mon, Legs on Wed, Bis/Tris on Fri)
    T, TH, S Cardio (HIIT in the AM and either TM on incline x35 min or Zumba in the PM)

Meal 2
    Protein shake

Meal 3
    Some kind of lean protein 4-8 oz
    Some kind of non-starchy veg
    Some kind of healthy starch (quinoa on most days 1/4cup, on leg day I'll do a sweet potato 4oz, I would love some rice but not sure if I'm allowed anymore).
    CLA supplement

Meal 4
    This is where I'm lost. It's probably too late to do any carb even non-starchy veg but I'm so hungry at this time of day. So I'll do tuna with mustard and cottage cheese, a salad with some kind of fish, or 2Tbps of almond butter, a quest bar...

Workout 2
    I’m alternating days of doing 250 squats in the evening (my behind is the part that needs the most work). Incline TM for 35min. Or Just Dance (just like Zumba, but it’s a local group of people who like to dance).

Meal 5
    I love salmon, is it too fatty this late in the game? I usually do 4-6oz
    I add one of these options: Broccoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, green beans.
    CLA supplement

I try to drink about 3Liters of water per day.

I think I’m reading too much, it’s all so confusing. Next time (and there will be a next time) I’m getting a coach. I just can’t afford it right now. My priorities are grad school, work, husband and 2 step-daughters and my health. I’m working this in for fun (LOL). I think I might be a little on the nutty side.

Finally, to make things more complex, the young lady who had offered to help me with posing has become too overwhelmed herself to fit me into her life (that’s totally okay, I understand, she was doing me a favor). I’m practicing everyday but I have no one to look at me and tell me if I’m heading in the right direction.

Please be nice. Understand that I’m doing this as a learning experience. I’m not going to win, I just want to see if I can do this thing. I want to test myself, I’ve never demonstrated this kind of discipline before and I’m very proud of what I’ve managed to accomplish so far.

I wish I had been more vigilant about measuring and taking progress pics. I’ll include what I do have. Also, keep in mind that my weight loss journey began in January but at that time it was not my intention to train for a competition. That decision wasn’t made until June.

Thank you,

Temple
    This image shows from January 7th to August 20th:
    IMG_1305.jpg

This image shows from Juy 24th when I realized what my butt looked like (EEEEEK!) to August 10th after a lot of hard work (not much, I know, but it’s better):
    IMG_1241.jpg

This image is the most recent, I’m kinda proud:
    IMG_1296.jpg
  • temple_n
    Options
    Sorry, here's this one again:

IMG_1241.jpg
  • temple_n
    Options
    never mind, no one needs to see any more of my butt. I give up.
  • deniselynn13
    Options
    Hijack away! I would love to hear what people have to say!!! =)
  • prep2014
    prep2014 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Denise
    I have competed in a couple of shows and would be happy to have some friends on Fitness pal :)
    I am in NJ, where are you from?
  • prep2014
    Options
    Hi Temple
    I am Jess.
    I was looking at your diagram and I just would change a few things that I saw that I wouldn't do if I was prepping for a show.
    Chest back and shoulders I wouldn't train them al together.
    Maybe I would do Quads alone, Back with Biceps, Chest with Hamstrings and Shoulders with Triceps.. Just a thought.
    Also, watch your portion size when it comes to oats and make sure all is gluten free. Bob's red mill has an awesome gluten free oatmeal. I like the PB2 in the oats its yummy and make sure I don't remember that you are having Protein with your carb.

What kind of protein shake do you have?
    I like Plant fusion is vegan protein and really good with some flax by spectrum

Rice not sure I see a problem with rice its good for you.
    (Brown or black)

for M4 I would have egg whites at night and like salsa and maybe a little piece of 86% choco.
    I woudln't be doing dairy at all if I am planning on a show. It bloats everyone. for the most part. :)

I like the Quest bars too but stop eating them and then start eating them again in a few weeks and you will see that they are really just a quick fix.. I wouldn't have them more than 2x a week.

") Hope this helps and I am so happy to get your feedback too :)
  • temple_n
    Options
    Jess, thank you so much! I’m going to address each point in somewhat the same order as you put it. This makes me feel better because I think I’m not too far off from what you’re saying.

I just changed up my upper body workout this morning in a similar way to what you are suggesting. I found an article in Beverly with some guidelines for training for a bikini competition.

For oats I do ¼ cup most days, except leg day when I do ½ cup. I am gluten intolerant anyway so I’ve been gluten free for a while.

I always have protein with my carb whether it be egg whites, protein shake or lean meat. For the protein shake I’m doing IsoPharm which was recommended to me by a friend who is also a trainer at Gold’s (He admits that he’s old school and he’s never trained a female for this type of goal).

I add fresh ground flax seed when my macros allow for that little extra fat. I love using it in recipes as a binding agent.

I love brown and black rice. YAY!

I would love to do more eggs as my evening protein; that would be easy.

The cottage cheese I just added back in, I’m not even sure why… (just missed it I guess).

The protein bars are for emergencies, for example, I work three 12 hr shifts over the weekend (FRI, SAT, SUN). So for that snack time I allow those bars. Otherwise when I’m not at work I try other things as listed above. I will try to come up with another way to snack on the go and not use those bars.

I so appreciate your feedback!!
  • prep2014
    Options
    Temple
    It sounds like you are making all the right moves.
    Just keep with it consistancy is the key.
    I only use plant fusion because it is very easy on the stomach and I take BLOX BCAA's
    As far as bikini goes I am not sure. I could never do those posing routines. I do figure. I am better built for that than bikini I think.
    :) So happy I have made a fitness friend :)
  • prep2014
    Options
    oh Temple what show are you doing? NPC OCB?
  • prep2014
    Options
    One more thing that may help. Look into Carb Cycling.
  • temple_n
    Options
    It's an NPC qualifier. It's the first time NPC is coming to my little city in Roanoke, VA. What I'm told is that it is a great show for a first timer. I had been trying to do what I thought was carb cycling by adding sweet potato (4oz) and extra oats on say leg day and one other day per week. So that it goes Low, low, high, low, low, high. Is that correct? I always try to keep below 30g of sugar, but on the higher carb days there's a little more wiggle room.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hi Temple:

I was doing some reading today and came across this : http://leeapperson.com/figure/dieting.html if you scroll down you will find a meal plan for 3 mos out, 1 mos out, and 1 wk out from your show. Pretty interesting read.
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    Follow my hubby and I on our journey to the top!!! Our page we'll show our diets, workout plans and daily motivators!!> Like and Share please
    www.facebook.com/teamobenchain
  • deniselynn13
    Options
    Hey Jess!

Thanks for all the good info you provided on here. Quick one for you. You say no dairy. If i am prepping 7 months out, you think i can keep the dairy (FF plain greek yogurt and 2% low sodium cottage cheese) at least until it is out of the house? LOL I would hate to throw it away!!!

I don't know if i am competing in figure or bikini yet. I love the sassiness in bikini, but don't know how my body will respond. I plan on doing the NPC All Natural Ohio in April. I hope like heck i am ready!!!!

I will send you an add! :)
  • temple_n
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. I'm feeling much better. In fact, now that I'm not stressing so much, it seems that progress has restarted. I love this group, it is our support of each other and the feelings that come with better health that make this whole thing so worth while!