375lbs c25k

Options
dubist
dubist Posts: 279 Member
Hello,
im 37 375lbs and dream of running and i want it bad.
Need some advice on how to start for my weight range. I have been jogging this week but compared to the weight loss c25k plan i have just downloaded it seems i was going at it to hard which explains why i have had some fatgiue , pain and was unable to workout the rest of the week.
these are my questions
1. What pace should I be running and walking( is jogging ok)? should i be going all out during the run phase?
2. Can i lift weights on the rest days or should I just do upper body on rest days? how do i fit in weight lifting?
3. I read some people use a heart rate monitor to set the pace when they are running, do any of you?
4. Could/should I switch out the running once once or twice a week for an exercise bike to limit the strain on my body the first month or so?
5. I have a dog I walk every day and do about 20-30 min at a pretty brisk pace. how would this effect my training?
6. How do you keep motivated during and before workouts?
7. What kind of stretching should i be doing before after?
8. I read for weight loss ending in 30 sec - 2min sprints keeps the metabolism burning longer. any thoughts on incorparating this into a c25k.

Feel free to add me if you would like to watch me melt away.
Thanks in advance.
Remember : I am a big guy and not all the answers will be the same as they are for you.

Replies

• samonmission
    samonmission Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am no expert ... but I am in my last week of C25K ! Here are my 2 cents
    1. Pace - It differs from person to person. Use the speed that you can maintain comfortably in the running time of C25K
    2. Weights on rest days are good or any other cross training like swimming,biking,yoga etc.
    3.I do not use hrm so can't say
    4. I do running 3 days a week and other exercises on alternate 3 days. one day is my rest day. no exercise. I am doing it for about 2 months now and I love it.
    5. Walking a dog is a good exercise too.. anything adds up you know..
    6. Motivation could be different for each person.. mine is I want to be in normal weight range and stay healthy.
    7. Any stretch that helps with your legs and ankles I guess
    8. don't know

- Sam