Introducing myself; Keto to combat IBS.

Options
Hello fellow keto'ers. I recently found out I have IBS and I've been trying to cure my symptoms for a few months. I've tried all kinds of things and nothing seemed to work. I would always end up bloated and not having a good time in the bathroom. I learnt that IBS can be caused by a bad bacteria overgrowth in the gut and the bad bacteria feed off of carbs. So now I'm on my 4th day of limiting my carbs to under 60 grams and I've already noticed a big difference in the bloating.

Another thing I've tried is food combination and water timing, a topic I find very interesting and helpful for digestion.

I do find the cravings hard to deal with but I'm starting to enjoy the diet a little more, with the discovery of some recepies on this site and others I think I should be able to stick to a Keto diet for a long time.

Replies

• Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow keto'ers. I recently found out I have IBS and I've been trying to cure my symptoms for a few months. I've tried all kinds of things and nothing seemed to work. I would always end up bloated and not having a good time in the bathroom. I learnt that IBS can be caused by a bad bacteria overgrowth in the gut and the bad bacteria feed off of carbs. So now I'm on my 4th day of limiting my carbs to under 60 grams and I've already noticed a big difference in the bloating.

Another thing I've tried is food combination and water timing, a topic I find very interesting and helpful for digestion.

I do find the cravings hard to deal with but I'm starting to enjoy the diet a little more, with the discovery of some recepies on this site and others I think I should be able to stick to a Keto diet for a long time.

It has helped mine a fair bit (mainly with the cramping), but you should definitely be supplementing fiber if you don't get enough from your food (experiment with different types and amounts to find what you tolerate best). If you haven't tried it, you might want to look into enteric-coated peppermint oil.

After a couple of weeks, I almost completely stopped craving carbs. I deal with severe fatigue, and used to crave carbs like nobody's business, so that was huge.
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I hope it works out for you. My gut has hurt for 30+ years - like break-out-in-cold-sweat-wanna-pass-out-kind-of-hurt. I haven't had that pain for a couple months (since I started keto).

It's almost too good to be true and I can't imagine changing back to eating a diet that would induce that kind of pain again.
  • Robbpapineau
    Options
    I'm only on day 6 now and the results are amazing. I used to eat a normal size meal of carbs, protein and fat and end up extremely bloated. Without the carbs my stomach finally looks normal, the bloating has decreased significantly. Today I was delighted to see my first normal bowel movement in months, I can't even describe how happy I'm feeling tonight. I can't wait to continue the diet and see how much more it can help me.

I will have to do some tweaking with the diet to include more fiber, but so far I seem quite regular.

I'm glad it's working for everyone who is trying the diet! Seems to be quite a miracle to me!
  • Shreela
    Shreela Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing Keto diet because my dr recommended a very low carb, GF/grain-free/sugar+starch-free diet due to IBS/Leaky Gut symptoms, as well as insulin resistance (fasting BS normal still, but post-prandials were elevated). I originally described my "IBS" as the C kind, but over time I figured out the "C" was due to inflammation triggered by certain food additives (carrageenan, nitrate, Annatto) and over-eating, which is what led me to eventually figure out leaky gut. Now after my dr restricting my diet further, I've figured out that over-eating in itself isn't a trigger, that over-carbing is actually a trigger. Also, on sensitive days (like recovering from an IBS), insoluble fibers and heavier meats (beef, pork) can be triggers on healing-days.

After studying the numerous healing-type diets, I chose Keto over Paleo, because "some" Paleos remind me of the old Atkins days back when it was a bacon smorgasbord. But I do follow some medical-scientist Paleos. IMO, Keto'ers seem to watch their calories and healthy fats better, and IMO, there's less gluten in Keto'ers recipes (keywords: gluten, gliadin, zonulin, junctures, leaky, ibs).
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I find that taking a probiotic every day helps me, along with the KETO diet.