Protein powder?

Options
Hi, I just IIFYM'd my macros and I am trying to wrap my head around getting that much protein in my diet (170 g per day). I think a protein powder might help. Any recommendations? I don't have any special requirements except that I am in the early stages of glucose impairment (104 fasting) so, low sugar would be good. TIA (I would ask on the main forums, but I suspect I'll get much higher quality responses here.)

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? - that is very very high for a female. You may be outside the 'range' for the 1g/lb/lbm rule of thumb recommendation based on your ticker.
  • Junie2013
    Options
    264 lbs, 5'9"". I used .65 grams per lb instead of 1.0, as advised by an MFP friend. Thanks :)

Edited to add. goal weight is 170 for now.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I just ordered a 5 pound tub of Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein based on recommendations from BodyBuilding.com

I got the chocolate mint flavor and it is DELICIOUS. Tastes like Thin Mints. :) It has 24g of protein per scoop at 120 calories, and has a well balanced amino acid profile. I have also used Lean Active 7, which tasted great and had more protein, but it was lower quality, and didn't have as many BCAA's as this one.
  • Junie2013
    Options
    Also, I see your formula uses LBM, but IIFYM.com just says "bodyweight", so maybe that is the problem?
  • Junie2013
    Options
    GymGypsy, that sounds delish :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    264 lbs, 5'9"". I used .65 grams per lb instead of 1.0, as advised by an MFP friend. Thanks :)

Edited to add. goal weight is 170 for now.

That is unnecessarily high.

At your height and weight, 140g should be more than ample.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with getting more protein (not medical issues assumed) as long as it does not cause issues with getting your other nutrients in or with energy or adherence.
  • Junie2013
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Given that is still high compared to what I am used to, do you think a protein powder would be ok for post-workout or to help me hit my protein requirements on any given day (Maybe 10-20% of my daily requirement?)

I'd like to start the All Pro beginner's program and want to be sure that my diet supports heavy lifting and fat loss. Thanks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks for the input! Given that is still high compared to what I am used to, do you think a protein powder would be ok for post-workout or to help me hit my protein requirements on any given day (Maybe 10-20% of my daily requirement?)

I'd like to start the All Pro beginner's program and want to be sure that my diet supports heavy lifting and fat loss. Thanks!

Absolutely. Supplementing is fine.

My favorites are Optimum Nutrition for vanilla and Trutein for other flavors - their cinnabun is delish.
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you want a protein low in carbs, go for an isolate
  • duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Second-ing the Optimum Nutrition recommendation; each about 120 cals for 24g. Never had the mint, must go order that! I have had:

Chocolate toffee: slight cocoa/caramel flavor- probably my fave.
    Banana: Liked it at first, but now it turns my stomach. But I hate to waste, so I'll make this one with some chocolate sometimes, or add frozen strawberries.
    Strawberry: Also sorta sickeningly sweet, but not bad if you mix it with vanilla or frozen berries.
    French Vanilla; I use this as a "base" and mix sugar-free coffee syrups in it- vanilla toasted hazelnut (from target) is yummy, though has extra fake-sugar flavor from the syrup.
    Rocky Road: I don't get much nut flavor, but its smoother than plain chocolate
    Extreme Double chocolate: Decent chocolate flavor. Better when using unsweetened chocolate almond milk.
    Milk Chocolate: This was more fake tasting to me, but not terrible. Just not my fave.
    Cookies & Cream: This one is a little too fake tasting for me, and there are bits in it but they don't really resemble cookies. Plus its 10 whole calories more than the rest. Won't re-order that one.

I've also gotten the giant tub of Whey Isolate from Optimum Nutrution at Costco; they only have the Vanilla Shake flavor. The taste is okay, but the powder has a much different consistency (the others are like powder, this is more like kool-aid, and granular), and when it mixes, it gets a lot foamier. But, its also a good base for my coffee syrups, and has 30g for 140 cals.

I ordered the others on Vitacost.com - free shipping, look for promo codes, and a decent starting price. Enjoy!

ETA another flavor.
  • Junie2013
    Options
    Thank you everyone, and thank you duckiec for the awesome flavor breakdown!