YES, I had weight loss surgery....ANDDDDDD

Options
JumpingJacs
JumpingJacs Posts: 28 Member
I get so sick of people saying, "that's not healthy" Are you kidding me? It saved my life and put me in a mode of thinking that has turned me around. If you know nothing about it, why speak on it? I'm happy, healthy, relieved and sleeved! I'm not shame and where were you when I was 304lbs and hot mess? Child please, get your life!

Replies

• LadyG0915
    LadyG0915 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Honey, I agree. People that have never had a huge amount of weight to lose have no idea what it takes to get up and just move. Move to the shower. Tie your shoes. Be with your family. Just Live. They want to keep us down when we are big, and push us back down when we are trying to get healthy. They are the wrong kind of people to help you. move on.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My favorite is if you would just eat right and exercise.....HMMMM I wish I would have thought of that....oh wait I DID!!!

:mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :noway: :huh:
  • JumpingJacs
    Options
    You are so right, my friend! I'm embracing my life and freedom....my way! :flowerforyou:
  • JumpingJacs
    Options
    So very true. Everyone has a solution and no one offers to help! Over it. :noway:
  • incredibleshrinkingjackie
    Options
    eat right and exercise? no kidding? that's what i do. everyday! have the surgery just gave me a little jumpstart. the rest of it is hard work all the way.
  • fourshads
    Options
    Got my sleeve about 9 weeks ago and before surgery I could NOT walk to the end of my street without experiencing significant leg and low back pain. Yesterday, I walked a mile and felt just fine. Getting the sleeve isn't taking the easy way 'out' but providing a road I can travel to get my health and life back. Thanks for sharing!!
  • JumpingJacs
    Options
    Congrats!!!! And yes, we were sleeved and now we're living a better life. Have a good day.
  • JumpingJacs
    Options
    Exactly!! So happy you're here. Enjoy your day.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Eat right and exercise?! Yep heard that one and "eat less", sure! My surgeon said once you hit a certain point in obesity, diet and exercise no longer work. I believe that! And when I started this journey at 386 pounds, I knew that to be true! I love your phrase, "relieved and sleeved"!! That is so me! I'm 2 years out and now it is all about diet and exercise. After a certain point for all of us, those are the only things that will keep the weight coming off and staying off, but I know I could not have lost any of this weight without the surgery! Praise God for this kind of help!!
  • Gwynhyffar
    Gwynhyffar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Love this, and YES ME TOO!!!
  • Gwynhyffar
    Gwynhyffar Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My favorite is if you would just eat right and exercise.....HMMMM I wish I would have thought of that....oh wait I DID!!!

Ha, yes! My other favorite is when someone appoints themselves as your monitor. "Are you allowed to eat that?"
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

Ha, yes! My other favorite is when someone appoints themselves as your monitor. "Are you allowed to eat that?"

Oh yes! I still get some people who watch me like they are amazed that I am eating something. Even skinny people eat the occasional cookie thank you! I know what I'm doing here! It has been two years and I am still losing you know! :mad:
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135
    Options
    I get so sick of people saying, "that's not healthy" Are you kidding me? It saved my life and put me in a mode of thinking that has turned me around. If you know nothing about it, why speak on it? I'm happy, healthy, relieved and sleeved! I'm not shame and where were you when I was 304lbs and hot mess? Child please, get your life!

relieved and sleeved! LOVE IT!!
  • 54debs
    Options
    I am 3 months sleeved and have a question. My surgeon told me my loss would slow considerably in the next 3 months which I understand, but then went on to say that would more than likely the end of losing! Please tell me it isnt so......
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I am 3 months sleeved and have a question. My surgeon told me my loss would slow considerably in the next 3 months which I understand, but then went on to say that would more than likely the end of losing! Please tell me it isnt so......

It is only so if YOU choose to make it so. As my doctor has told me, once the "easy" weight comes off and I get used to the sleeve it will be 100% up to me to eat right, exercise and do what I need to do to get to the weight I wish to get too. I'm not sure where you are on your loss journey. I'm 4 months out and still not at 50% loss yet. My wife, who was sleeved at the same time I was, but has much less to lose is losing slower than I am but is over half way there. My doctor thinks I should be able to lose steadily if not as fast through the 18 month mark.

Sounds like your doctor is counting on you doing nothing after the easiest period is over. Simple enough; Prove him WRONG!

My doc says I won't get below 200. My reply, We'll see. I'm looking for 175 or lower. May take me a while, but the time will pass either way.

Good luck, 54debs.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I lost throughout the first year. It is only in the past few months that things have slowed down but that is probably because I have lost 80% of my excess weight now! If I excercise and watch what I eat I lose half a pound a week, less than I am used to but still a loss. I am now 14 months out.
  • therejohn
    therejohn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Do not buy into that...mine told me something similar and I went into a tail spin until some good friends and people I know from this group brought me out of it. Keep vigilant, watch your calories, fats, sugar, etc and keep moving. It may slow down and you may have to increase your exercise, but you will lose all your weight! Feel free to contact me anytime you start to listen to crap like that and we can support one another. It's hard not to listen to a "doctor" because they are supposed to be the experts, but believe in yourself and you will achieve your goal with hard work and time.
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'd have to ask 'What is not healthy?' Let them speak and then ask them to cite their source. They've been removing tummy's for decades for stomach cancer and ulcers. I have a relative that due to ulcers had quite a bit of her stomach removed over 30 years ago. I have no idea what they called it back then, maybe a life saving technique....she lost weight although she was never really heavy, just larger than she is now. She has always felt good and has never gained any of the weigh back, She will be 84 this coming January.

It's not 'healthy' to be diabetic or at risk for all the other things we were at risk for. I had NO health issues, but obesity run on my father's side of the family. Six of his seven sister were FAT - BIG - I was fat when I had surgery, but I was NOT as big as the majority of my relatives on that side of the family. Preventive maintenance, that is what I call it. I have a cousin, early 60's, and big as a barn, she had a major stroke ten days ago. 'Nuff said, I KNOW I did the right thing!
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    We DO have a honeymoon period, every doctor says a different thing....anywhere from six - 18 months. I took this as the gospel and treated my surgery as the most important diet of my life.....my last ditch effort. I had ups and downs, up a lb or two, then down....some times did this for up to ten days, but it was fine, that is just the way I lost weight. I KNEW I would lose, I did NOTHING I shouldn't do until I reached goal, since then I feel like I eat like a naturally thin person. I reached goal in six months, I've been maintaining for over 2.5 years. I have what I call my dashboard, my new life. This is forever, it's not the newest fad diet that we get bored with and quit. If we do, we are sure to fail again. That is MY truth, I know I must always be diligent.
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135
    Options

Month #1 was 30 pounds for me. Month #2 was 13 and Month #3 10.
    It does slow considerably and even fluxuates up and down. you may have a stall or two................. BUT KEEP PLUGGING AWAY!
    You will get there. I found myself complacent at 75-80 pounds of weight loss, but luckily it kept coming off a few ounces at the time, now that Im close to 100 pounds I'm totally back in the game!