WSJ Take Back Your Pregnancy article

Options
lisapr123
lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
I love economics. I love data analysis. So imagine my joy when I found this article regarding coffee and alcohol during pregnancy! Doesn't mean we should all go get lit..."drink like a European adult, not a fraternity boy"....but it makes me feel better about the glass or two of wine a week, and the samples of my home brew beer that we make.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323514404578652091268307904.html

It's in the weekend edition of the The Wall Street Journal (my favorite newspaper, which I read daily and fully respect).

Also I love that it sounds like my caffeine intake is just fine. I used to drink 4+ cups a day, now I have 1-2 max....3 or 4 times a week. I was talking to a former student of mine last night, and he asked how I like being pregnant. I told him about all the damn rules. He laughed, saying he always liked me as a teacher because I knew which rules were okay to bend :)

Replies

• ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing this! great food for thought.
    I totally feel like The Rules are kinda arbitrary and change depending on which doctor you talk to on which day!
  • zgolub
    zgolub Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Great great article! Thanks.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Saw this on Facebook this weekend. Very good and very informative.
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    Good article. :-) :-) :-) I definitely get tired of defending my choices. I drank more moderately w my almost 2 yo than I have or do this time. But I still have a drink occasionally & don't feel guilty about it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I guess with many of these rules is we dont really know. Is it a risk no matter how minimal you are willing to take? I dont believe a glass of wine once a week is going to damage the baby, but when you think about the extra work that his or her liver will have to do when there are already so many stressors placed on that growing body is it worth it?

That being said I've allowed myself caffeine again in the form of sodas and tea. I'm craving an ice cold beer, but I havent come to the conclusion if it is worth it or not to put my babies developing body through the process of alcohol detoxification. I've cut out the deli meat and unpasteurized cheese because listeria scares me, and I'm even to the point of only eating cooked fruit and vegetables due to the recent recalls of food poisoning. I've also read that other forms of adult intoxication may not be bad for the baby and can be beneficial, but once again weigh the pros and cons and so far the conclusion is no.

So I dont know to each her own.
  • lisapr123
    Options
    I totally agree, to each their own.

Honestly, I've made very little changes to my lifestyle since becoming pregnant. My mom & aunts all laugh at "the rules of pregnancy" as they did whatever the heck they wanted back in the '70's and '80's while they were pregnant. I started drinking wine at about two years old...we had little cordial glasses at big family dinners that the little ones drank out of (maybe an ounce). I remember being ill at my grandparents and my grandpa giving me a shot of whiskey. I guess since alcohol has always been a part of my life (and addiction or alcohol-related health issues have never been a problem in my family) I see it as "normal" and am comfortable with making it part of my child's life. I'm enjoying the equivalent of maybe 10 ounces a week of wine/beer....but don't (and never really did) eat much processed food, take medicines, use chemical pesticides, etc....

To me, the essence of the article is to study and question the studies, and make educated decisions based on your own life experiences and comfort levels. I feel fortunate that my doctor is pretty relaxed on "the rules" so I am limited to having such debates with my in-laws and a few overbearing friends :) I love that the economist/author is a Chicago girl like me!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I guess, and it could be my over paranoid pregnant brain, but what if I was that one in 8000 (something) that lost my baby from listeria on cantaloupe. It can happen although the risk is very small. It did happen to someone, and it scares me.

My Mom had whiskey with me, and my niece was bathed in copious amounts of THC as a fetus (very sharp kid). Still can't decide I feel guilty enough from the crap I eat and drink.
  • cdnkitty
    cdnkitty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm joining this discussion late, but I think it's a great article. The thing about being pregnant is making informed choices. If you feel empowered and not afraid in the decisions you're making then hey - make them work for you and your situation.

When it comes to listeria-risk foods, I don't follow any of those 'rules' because I think the risk of listeria in our food supply is so much of a bigger issue than if I eat a listeria-risk food when pregnant. As in, if it isn't safe when pregnant, is it ever really 'safe' and we should be demanding a better food supply instead.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I just posted about the author of this article because she just wrote a book, Expecting Better. I bought it and have been reading it and it's great!
  • lisapr123
    Options
    I'm a NPR junkie, and Planet Money is one of my favorites. They did a podcast on the topic/book. Here's the link if anyone is interested. It's about 18 minutes long.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/08/20/213885032/episode-481-the-economists-guide-to-drinking-while-pregnant

and CDNKITTY, I totally agree that if it's not safe during pregnancy we probably shouldn't eat it at all! I recently fell in love with sushi, though, and am abstaining here in Chicago (where even if it's fresh...it's not THAT fresh). Take me to Portland, OR though (where it's caught locally) and I'd probably treat it as an all you can eat buffet!

Initially, my OB and I didn't get along very well. I'm an "older" first time mom at 35 and very confident in my choices. So when he told me things and I'd question them, he thought I was questioning HIM. Once he understood I wasn't questioning HIM but the data/study/reasons, we developed a very sincere relationship. He's since followed my lead and is very relaxed about the "do's" and "don'ts" so when he actually advises me one way or the other, it means something.

miranda_mom....I am STILL waiting for my library to get the book!!! (It's been like a week, but it's got me antsy!)
  • miranda_mom
    Options
    One of the most interesting things in the book so far: Doctors go on and on about not changing the cat litter when you're pregnant right? (and really, I don't mind handing this chore over to hubby, although getting the cat was my idea). What she says in the book is that you will only get toxoplasmosis IF you've never been exposed to it before (many people have with no symptoms so there's no way of knowing) AND IF your cat has never been exposed to to it before (which explains why doctors do also discourage getting a new kitten while pregnant) AND IF your cat has been eating raw meat and/or hunting. ALL THREE conditions need to be met or you won't get it.
    The biggest problem that I have with the "rules" is that you end up feeling guilty about things you did before you knew you were pregnant. Hey, I got a tattoo and I didn't know I was pregnant. Talked to the doctor about it and she said the only risk would be if a dirty needle was used. But they make such a big deal out of things.
    I still occasionally eat hoagies (Italian subs) and I don't feel bad about it. I drink one or two cups of coffee a day and I don't feel bad about it.
    I have PCOS, a disease that makes it anywhere from no harder to impossible to get pregnant (I'm somewhere in the middle at about "moderately harder) and the things I see some of those poor girls doing - I've seen girls who have been trying to years and all that time they are abstaining from alcohol, caffeine, anything other than Tylenol for pain, sushi, etc. They don't want to do those things because they "might" be pregnant. Obviously I lost that mindset a long time ago or I wouldn't have gotten the tattoo without knowing for certain that I wasn't.
  • nan199678
    nan199678 Posts: 140
    Options
    One of the most interesting things in the book so far: Doctors go on and on about not changing the cat litter when you're pregnant right? (and really, I don't mind handing this chore over to hubby, although getting the cat was my idea). What she says in the book is that you will only get toxoplasmosis IF you've never been exposed to it before (many people have with no symptoms so there's no way of knowing) AND IF your cat has never been exposed to to it before (which explains why doctors do also discourage getting a new kitten while pregnant) AND IF your cat has been eating raw meat and/or hunting. ALL THREE conditions need to be met or you won't get it.

Wow!! So good to know!! My sister has been doing it for me but after school starts back up she won't be around as often. My hubby would do it but I can already smell resentment before asking him! Lol
  • miranda_mom
    Options
    The scary thing is that what you have a REALLY high risk of getting toxoplasmosis from is... gardening. Who knew? (I think my doctor might have mentioned this to me once, but not as often as I heard about the cat litter).

Just finished the chapter on listeria. Turns out listeria is a nasty, nasty disease but... it is extremely difficult to prevent it (sorry ladies, but it's the truth). The last major outbreak was from cantaloupe. And most of the other outbreaks have been totally random things like that. We have no idea where it is going to show up next. Scary but the reality is that the only deli meat it's ever shown up in is actually turkey. And that's been a few times. She does recommend limiting deli turkey but says the other deli meats are probably as safe as anything else. It's a great book.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    The interesting thing to me is that most people spend a lot more time and energy worrying about -- and avoiding -- very small risks, while never thinking twice about much larger risks.

For example, people say, "If there's even the slightest risk to my baby from drinking alcohol, I won't do it. Any tiny risk is too much." But then they get behind the wheel of their car and drive, and put their babies and small children in the backseat, even though auto collisions are the number one cause of accidental death in children. Personally, I get a little nervous every time I get behind the wheel because I know that even a minor accident could cost my baby her life, if the airbag goes off. (And I sit as far back from the steering wheel as I safely can, specifically to minimize that risk.) I know that the possibility of death or serious injury in a car accident is MUCH more likely than the risk that a glass of wine or a slice of cheese will hurt my baby.

BUT, it's necessary to look at both the risks AND the benefits of a given activity. I'm still going to drive because a) even though there is a risk, it's still probable that my baby and I will be fine; and b) the benefit to my every day life is pretty significant. I walk places as much as I can, but I live in the suburbs (very spread out and no public transportation), so driving is still the best way to get around.

I don't drink because, even though the risk is small, I don't see any benefit. I have a high tolerance, so one glass of wine isn't even going to help me relax, and I don't really care for the taste. HOWEVER, I suffer from pretty severe anxiety, which gets worse when I'm pregnant, so if a single glass of wine DID help me relax I would absolutely have some. The benefit to myself, my children, my husband, and even my unborn baby (stress is bad for babies, too!) would definitely outweigh the tiny amount of risk involved.
  • miranda_mom
    Options
    ^^ That's totally what the book is about. Giving you the risk statistics so that you can make the decision.
    I've come to the same decision about drinking. Really only because I don't like wine much (and can't have red wine at all because it gives me the most horrendous migraines) and I don't like beer. When I do drink it's really only mixed drinks and I feel like going into a bar and ordering a drink, I'm going to have no idea how much alcohol is in it as far as judging my intake.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Well said Michelle.

I love this article personally because it really sums up my thoughts on things. We get treated as if we're children sometimes when we're pregnant. Do X, don't do Y! Not why, or here are the risks and the statistics...just nope, THIS IS THE RULE.

Personally? I eat sushi. I eat from a place I trust, because food poisoning is bad whether you're pregnant or not. If you're eating at a place you can get food poisoning from, please re-evaluate your food choices.

I don't like drinking, it doesn't relax me or make me feel good. So while I think the small amount I would drink is probably safe, since I derive no benefit the risks, minimal though they are, aren't worth it to me.

I eat sandwich meat. Again, pick safely. I don't eat from places where it sits out.

I eat fresh fruits and veggies and wash them well.

I run while pregnant. (Also considered a risk by some doctors and well meaning bystanders!)