Went on HRT and seriously thinking of stopping!!!

Options
It has been just over a month ago that I went on HRT and I am seriously thinking of stopping. For what benefits it has given me I stress and worry about the sideeffects. I honestly only tried 1 natural thing for menopause and am thinking there is much more out there I could try. Any thoughts? I keep thinking that if I am going to stop this would be the best time rather than waiting to much longer.....

Replies

• kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I only did one month. My period and cramps came back, so I decided it wasn't worth it. The only worriesome menopausal symptom that I have is hot flashes, and I'm hoping they get better with time. It just wasn't worth it for me to be on the HRT. Good luck!
  • nbalan71
    nbalan71 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been on HRT for almost 4 years, started at 38( yes I went through menopause at 38) . I have tried a variety of medications. Sometimes it needs some tweaking, you may not be getting enough estrogen or progesterone. You need to work with your Dr. to find the right balance. A great book that really helped me was called " Screaming to be heard" by Dr. Vaillet. It will arm you with all you need to know to really talk to your doctor about whats best for you. Good luck
  • happydispatcher
    happydispatcher Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    After giving it thought I decided to wean myself off them. The issues I was experiencing were not significant enough for me to continue the HRT. Besides what it may do to my body as far as side effects there was the cost. The monthly cost and having to go back for blood tests regularly to get the perscription renewed. I know that there have to be natural remedies out there that I can try that will offer me relief. :wink:
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am just suffering through the hot flashes. That is my only complaint. I don't really want to be on something, that I don't trust either. Be careful with the natural remedies too, as they carry their own risks.
  • Trailkill
    Trailkill Posts: 4
    Options
    I went from peri menopause into surgical menopause just last year. I am taking a low level dose of estradiol. It keeps the hot flashes and mood swings down. The estradiol is $4 for 30 days supply and the dose will change as you lose weight because extra fat produces natural estrogen even though I have no ovaries. We also take in estrogens from plastics and plant sources too. HRT via prescription is not bad, it is just a different source. Natural and passive sources are still estrogens and side effects exist with HRT AND without HRT. Get all the reliable information you can and keep an open mind.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Menopause is a destination...and the journey can be YEARS long. What you decide today, may not be relevant to you in a month or even a year. As well, what works or doesn't may change. I have been on and off several times and am comfortable with the fact that my body is changing and will continue to do so.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I went through some pretty horrible mood swings and hot flashes for a couple of years. Then I quit eating soy products. I feel much better now. For some reason, tofu, soy milk, and TFP made my symptoms worse. Tempeh and edamame don't seem to bother me, but just to be safe, I don't eat it very often.

I still get the hot flashes, but my mood is very much improved. I've also had good luck with DHEA, 50mg a day. You can buy DHEA anywhere supplements are sold.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have been on low dose Prempro for about four years. I started taking it because my menopause symptoms were severe, and I was also suffering from hyperparathyroidism, which was contributing to bone loss. I recently had the offending parathyroid gland removed, and my calcium levels have returned to normal. I will continue to take it for a while longer while to help build bone mass, along with weight training. My familial cancer risk is very low.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I went through some pretty horrible mood swings and hot flashes for a couple of years. Then I quit eating soy products. I feel much better now. For some reason, tofu, soy milk, and TFP made my symptoms worse. Tempeh and edamame don't seem to bother me, but just to be safe, I don't eat it very often.

I still get the hot flashes, but my mood is very much improved. I've also had good luck with DHEA, 50mg a day. You can buy DHEA anywhere supplements are sold.
    My moods have been tweakier lately. I've been trying to decide if it's all the stress (travel, home repairs, visitors, work stuff) or more hormonal. I'd be game to try giving up soy, but BOY would that be hard in my house as my husband is asian/vegetarian. hmm.
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I went from peri menopause into surgical menopause just last year. I am taking a low level dose of estradiol. It keeps the hot flashes and mood swings down. The estradiol is $4 for 30 days supply and the dose will change as you lose weight because extra fat produces natural estrogen even though I have no ovaries. We also take in estrogens from plastics and plant sources too. HRT via prescription is not bad, it is just a different source. Natural and passive sources are still estrogens and side effects exist with HRT AND without HRT. Get all the reliable information you can and keep an open mind.

This is me exactly. I am 1 1/2 years from my hysterectomy. I'm 50 years old so the estradiol 1mg a day has helped me tremendously. I don't know what I would do without it. The only thing that is perplexing to me at the moment is last summer I lost about 35 pounds on here using my fitness pal and doing zumba. I gained much of that back from November to May. So of course I decided to lose it again this summer doing almost exactly the same food plan (low carb, veges etc.) but this time the weight is NOT coming off. The only thing different is my zumba teacher moved and I walk and do some other stuff at the gym.

I'm really frustrated but trying to hang in there, keep the calories low and keep moving. HRT isn't for everyone but it works wonders for my mental health.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Saw a naturopath today. Having hormone testing done tomorrow morning. She's planning to tweak my bio-identical progesterone and is adding bio-identical estriol in hope of helping my sleep, migraines (wtf? I don't get migraines!!) and bloating.

Fingers crossed.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Tweaking is the operative word when it comes to HRT. Lots of ups and downs, trial and error.
  • Ladylouwolf
    Options
    Menopause is a destination...and the journey can be YEARS long. What you decide today, may not be relevant to you in a month or even a year. As well, what works or doesn't may change. I have been on and off several times and am comfortable with the fact that my body is changing and will continue to do so.

I could not have said this better since I have been chemically induced for menopause 3x and then finally a hysterectomy. It is a journey!!! Hugs
  • tamstew20
    tamstew20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Can't take HRT because of the breast cancer risks but found out that a lot of women become lactose intolerant during menopause so I stopped the dairy, bloating and hot flashes are gone :happy:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Can't take HRT because of the breast cancer risks but found out that a lot of women become lactose intolerant during menopause so I stopped the dairy, bloating and hot flashes are gone :happy:
    Well done! For me, stopping gluten cut down on the bloating, the cramping, and the hot flashes. Apparently new allergies, and food issues are quite common in this time.
  • Ladylouwolf
    Options
    Wow, I do believe we our on the same journey!!! Moody(not normally a moody person),bloated,and more!!! Hope I find relief. the hot flashes I could deal with. Keep me updated on how your doing sweetie!!!Hugs:ohwell: And the fatigue!!!! Dang! I could sleep standing up!LOL
  • Ladylouwolf
    Options
    I cut out all whites a long time ago. Now gluten as well! Praying and crossing fingers!!!xo