Waist, hand or back for carrying your liquid?

Options
plateaued
plateaued Posts: 199 Member
Where do you carry your water, Gatorade or whatever . . . waist, hand or back?

Why do you prefer it there? I have forever used a waist belt but it moves around a lot and loosens often. What is your preference?

Replies

• twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have a nathan waist pack that I use on my longer runs. I cinche it up really tight around my waist and by the first mile I don't even feel it anymore. I used to use a hand bottle but it got annoying to be carrying something for hours on end.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    8+ miles, I have waist pack that sits in the middle of my back comfortably and doesn't bounce around. Used to have the hand bottle and just too annoying.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Where do you carry your water, Gatorade or whatever . . . waist, hand or back?

Why do you prefer it there? I have forever used a waist belt but it moves around a lot and loosens often. What is your preference?

If I take water, it's in a Nathan fuel belt or a Nathan water backpack.

A fuel belt should not move when running - the hips are the most stable position for person who's running but, if you have the wrong size belt or if it's not tight enough, it can flop around. I grabbed the wrong fuel belt (the one from when I was 195 pounds) for my Half last week and, yup, they flop around!

My backpack is for looong runs in adverse conditions. I was running >12 a couple of years ago in 75º+ and I needed the backpack.

Bottle in the hand.
    No thanks.
    I'm never going to race with a water bottle so I'd never train that way.
    I've got a water belt that holds 4 bottles of 8 oz each. If I wanted just a little water, I'd fill a couple of bottles.
    I don't want to throw off my stride and balance - yes, it's only 8 oz (that's the average fill level for a 16 oz bottle) but it's a half pound I have to compensate for 1.4 times every second (85 SPM at LD pace). Why put my body through that when I'm never going to do that during a race?

If you want a size large Nathan fuel belt, I've got an extra one! :-)
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am one of those weirdos that uses a hydration pack. :)
    I got hooked on them when I started MTBing and love to have the water and storage available for phone and wallet.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I read in Rodale's Walking, that even light weight in the hand can lead to injury.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have a waist belt from the running room. It holds 1 16oz bottle, and has 2 mesh pockets for fuel etc. I had to add on another little pack to hold my phone.

I only wear it for my long runs though, but, based on the placement of aid stations, and that there will be a gu station at my 13.1 in October, I don't plan on wearing my waist belt for the race itself.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If I'm going more than 6-8 miles I take a little Nathan water bottle. I hold it in my hand and rubberband my GUs/sportbeans to it. I dont mind running with it, the strap basically holds it on by itself.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Hand is really bad for form and can lead to injury. I have a Fuel Belt Revenge 2 bottle. Love it.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    If i need to carry liquids, I generally go or waist/chest. If I need it my pack is the Camelbak Ultra LR
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I use a belt, but I only have to use it a few times a year, when I am going over 16 miles and the temps are hitting high 70s or above.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Hand is really bad for form and can lead to injury.

Do you have a source for this? I've seen studies that show no ill effect and there are many world class ultra runners that use hand-held bottles.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I pretty much never carry water, but when I do, I just carry a small handheld 10oz bottle. I freeze it mostly full, then top it off with water before I leave. My runs don't go longer than about 13 miles though, and if I ever train for a marathon, I might have to rethink that, but generally find that as long as I stay well hydrated and nourished, I don't need water. Also, nose breathing as much as possible on long runs keeps my mouth from drying out!
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    I have used the fuel belt for 5 years. Never has bothered me any, although i wish the pouch could hold more
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I run with my kid in the jogging stroller a lot (this week is a cutback week, we will have run 15 out of 20 miles together). So, since the kid has supplies, so do I. And because I am so used to snacking and drinking while running, I do it on my solo runs too.

When I don't have the bob to carry my gear, I was using a camelbak. I was perfectly happy with it. Then I got a nathan fuel belt with 2 10 oz bottles, and I find it so much more comfortable and less sweaty than the camelbak. I'm never using the camelbak again!

As another poster said, if the belt is the correct size and adjusted properly at your hips, it shouldn't move around. Mine doesn't.
  • Csuvetmed
    Csuvetmed Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I use all 3 in various settings-- Nathan handheld for shorter trail runs in the summer to have an emergency stash of water for the dog, and I also use them for all trail races, as most of the ones here require you to carry a small amount of water and do not supply cups (yay!). I have no issue whatsoever with using them. Mine quickly became an extension of my arm. I use a waist belt for longer road runs, but I rarely do those anymore due to finding my passion on the trails. It also bruises my hips after a while. I use the Ultimate Direction AK race vest for any long (20+) or very high elevation trail runs, when I need to carry a light coat, extra food, iodine tablets, etc. I love it!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Fuel belt with 2 flasks...like Carson I only use mine a handful of times each year.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I bought an amphipod water belt, it holds 4 little 8 oz bottles of water. Can't use the belt, no matter how tight I get it or where I place it, it flops. I carry those little yellow bottles in my pockets. I look ridiculous, but I don't care. This is what works for me. I don't drink course fluids either. I've carried a bottle in my hand for a few miles at a time too, but I don't care for that.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Does anybody use those Camelbak thingies? If so, are they very heavy and do they move about much?
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Does anybody use those Camelbak thingies? If so, are they very heavy and do they move about much?

I have used a CamelBak and a Nathaan hydration pack for running. I currently use the Nathaan minimist..

The main weight of them really depends on how much water you put in them. I have CamelBaks that will hold up to 3L (for mountain biking, no way I would run with that). My Nathaan running pack that I use holds around 1L but I have only filled it all the way up once while doing long run mid summer.

They are awesome during the summer if you load them with ice, it keeps the water cooler and longer than a bottle. And for a while you have a nice cool spot on your back.

There are several things that will bother you if you are not used to them:
    1. They will move around if you don't have the straps set right
    2. If you leave air in the water pouch it will slosh. Turn the pouch upside down and suck all the air out, makes a world of difference.
    3. You can get "soggy back" from the pack. Especially on long runs when it is hot.

I have run with and without the pack and I just like the convenience of the pack for water and storage.
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    I never have brought water on anything less than 15 miles, I'll admit I just can't stand extra stuff hanging off me weighing me down, but if I do bring water or G2, I usually drive to part of my route and stash it at the halfway point for an out and back. Races, I just use whatever is supplied by the race (half marathons). I don't run when it's very hot outside and live in a cooler climate though. In the winter I just eat snow. :D This will probably change once weekly mileage goes up.