Affordable Gyms (With short or no contract)

Options
xxvogue
xxvogue Posts: 172 Member
So, perhaps I'm asking for a lot here.

But, does anyone know of any affordable gyms that have month-by-month or short contracts? Preferably with all the equipment needed to do the New Rules for Lifting progam.

The closer to the Whitehall court area the better (as I'll be working near that area and I could just go after work). However, as I'm not 100% sure where I'm living yet feel free to suggest gyms in other areas and neighborhoods. Maybe one will be in the right spot!

If anyone has anyone suggestions please let me know. Thanks!

Replies

• Londonkiwi
    Options
    Try Fitness 4 Less. I think they have a couple in central London. £15 a month, no contract. There is a £10 joining fee, but you can usually find a promotion where theay are discounting it.

Pros: Cheap, good equipment, good classes. Cons: It does get very busy as it is so cheap, and they don't limit memeber numbers.
  • eldarkangel
    eldarkangel Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Around me near wimbledon and kingston there are these guys...

http://www.thegymgroup.com/
  • Fatguy2Fitguy
    Fatguy2Fitguy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The gym group are okay, I am a member. One month notice no min contract average price works out around £17 per month (Prices vary at individual locations).

I'm sure it gets busy during the day but as I go at between 5-6am I couldn't tell you how busy it really is at peak times.
  • hotsashno1
    hotsashno1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    WOW just checked out the Gym Group and i'm amazed to find they are open 24/7. there is one opening in Putney soon so I might join :)
  • twilight_princess
    twilight_princess Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I go to a local GLL gym. I've been a member for over 2 years but have never had a contract as I go PAYG because I only go once per week but I think they do short/ one-off month contracts, all options are affordable.

They're a social enterprise so they are a bit different to the big chains but I've always been happy with the centre I go to with the facilities they have. I don't know if they are in your area but you can check their website.
  • iankuk
    iankuk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My most local gym to my home is DC Leisure Roehampton, offering £16.99 per month which is cheap enough and local enough too!
  • milk6
    milk6 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've just joined the gym group (wood green) so will be able to give another view soon!
  • fitnessn00bie
    fitnessn00bie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I go to EasyGym which is pretty affordable and if it's a new one opening you can get really great deals
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    i go lifestyle fitness, they are popping up everywhere these days, you literally go in and start working out, no inductions, £20 a month rolling contract. crap customer service and again like other cheap gyms, it does get busy in the evenings, but if you go morning or during the day, you'll have your pick of equipment. you get what you pay for :)
  • prima073
    prima073 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I go to fitness4less. It's £15.99 per month and has everything you need for a good workout. There's no contract and you can leave whenever you want although I don't know why you would, it's great!!!
  • bpdsunnygyal
    Options
    i'm doing TheGym - 24/7 open, no contract and only 15.99pm

but because of this sometimes you can see there bunch of random people who are treating gym as a chit chat place and all they do they just sitting on the machines and taking pics or chatting all the time.....probably instagraming pictures of themselves working hard at the same time.

But in general place is worth this money. Don't know how about others but Ilford one have quite small weights section if you're into it
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Left field approach BUT- if you have some space at home have you thought about getting some weights?

I used to go to the gym a lot more and then bought a property and all my cash was suddenly sucked into my mortgage, buying furniture, bills etc. Plus I lived on the other side of the city.
    Now admittedly it wasn't a cheap gym contract but I realised that I could buy a set of free weights, a bar and some dumbbells and there wasn't a lot I couldn't do at home. That is, as a newbie to lifting I wasn't exactly going to need somebody to spot me when I was just trying to master a weighted squat without falling over backwards. This whole setup would cost me about the same as a month's membership.

Also once you buy some weights you don't have to pay £60/ month to use them any time 24/7. No wiping anonymous sweat off stuff. No waiting for the equipment to be free. No dealing with people who only seem to go to the gym so that they can instagram it.
    (I'm not a patient person by nature hahaha!)

I guess it depends where you are with your training and what you'll be doing but thought I'd throw it into the mix to consider.