Thyroid Question :)

Options
skinnyme47
skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
I am on levothyroxine due to having my thyroid removed. Does anyone have pain in their legs as a result from taking it?

Replies

• YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Not from taking it, no. But I know that edema is a symptom of being hypothyroid, and that can cause leg pain. Perhaps you're not in the optimal range just yet? Do you have blood draws often / are you current? It's a pain in the *kitten* going every 6 weeks, but it's worth it to avoid the alternative symptoms.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Everything turns out fine when dr checks me, but the top front of my legs really hurt. Maybe if I took more calcium.
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I started over the last year with pain in my feet. The tops of my feet feel like they have a hundred broken little bones. I have also had slight swelling of my feet & ankles. I never gave the thyroid a thought as a possible culprit. I was thinking arthritis. Maybe I need to run this by my endo when I see her in October. We do educate each other on this forum. Thanks.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Funny you mention this. I am on levothyroxine as well. For the last little while, I have had non-stop aches and pains in my legs. Advil barely helps. Its so annoying cuz it makes moving uncomfortable. I am going to try different shoes, but other than that, I don't know why its happening!!
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    OP: Do you run at all? Are these shin splints, maybe?

Everyone else: if you have issues with swelling / edema, try compression stockings when you know you're going to be on your feet for a long time. That'll help keep the pooling from being too annoying. Definitely try to keep those tootsies elevated.