what method are you using? goals?

Options
melba_321
melba_321 Posts: 65 Member
Hi =)

I thought I'd start with asking what method we are all using. This might help us find some things in common and/or with motivating.

I've been working on diet by eliminating junk & replacing with clean whole food choices. I lost a good 11 lbs. just over switching diet up...got rid of the soda, fast food, condiments (salad dressing, mayo) & gluten mainly. Yet, the one that helped me the most was getting myself to actually eat breakfast (something small) at least 2 hours after waking. This seriously helped boost my metabolism, increase energy throughout the days and helped with my insomnia. I also try to eat up to 6 small meals/snacks a day. --This is still a work in progress. I was surprised how my cravings went away after getting rid of soda and gluten! My diet goal is most similar to Atkins and South Beach.

For almost a week, I've been adding in exercise. I try to do at minimal of 25 min. per day, but usually around 45. Currently, my program is Rockin' Body (as the one I won't let myself fall out of) and it has been fun and motivating (sometimes goofy, but that just gets me to giggle). The other program I'm using is Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. --She's a bit tough and rough for me to keep it going every day, but my goal is to get that in every other day during evenings (after doing my RB earlier during late mornings). After I pass RB, I plan to use T25....gradual steps. =)

Major goal is to get my body fit, tone and healthy by gaining muscle and losing fat weight. I want to get back into hiking and outdoors adventures without getting winded. lol

Replies

• queenegreene
    queenegreene Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Hi Melba. My approach is very low key compared to yours! I had always loved walking but had some health issues and stopped the daily walks. About a year ago, some of the health problems were alleviated so I started walking again. I've slowly built back to at least a 30 minute walk 4 times a week (in one year I logged in 319 deliberate miles, so you can see that I went slowly!- this doesn't count just normal daily life like walking to the printer at work). Some weeks I walk 5 days a week and some days I walk up to 60 minutes- just depends on my mood- but, the good news is that I only missed walking at least 4 days in a one week period one time in that year (when I had a stomach bug). I recently joined a challenge group and so have now added that to my daily routine each day (10,000 steps the first week so that was fairly easy, but 2nd week was 20-20-20 I choose squats, crunches and jumping jacks- felt very good and I'm continuing those even though the challenge is over! This week is plank pose and I'm loving that as I like yoga when I can do it). I'm basically just trying to move more, I guess you could say. Since January, I've been more conscious of my portion sizes, so now I've added that to the mix for the past 7 months. I've lost about 1/3 of the weight I want to lose, but am taking things very slow since the weight (about 70 pounds in all) took about 15 years to pile on. I'm glad you posted this topic as it gives us a chance to "get to know" other posters
  • DDSA52
    DDSA52 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My approach is also low key. This is mostly due to health issues, mainly Fibromyalgia and diabetes. I try to keep all gluten, dairy and added sugar out of my diet. Trying to make sure it's low carb as well. My biggest problem is trying to find exercises I can do. Walking seems to be my main focus but even that I can only do for 15 minutes at a time. Gardening is also something I like to do and can handle. I live in a hamlet, so swimming and gym are not available. Mainly I've been trying to stick to the least calories for the best nutrition.
  • melba_321
    melba_321 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You are both doing great! My routine took me years to gradually get into. So, don't knock walking! Walking is awesome and very good for you. I started out with walking too. I also agree with gradual...it's the best way to adapt into a new lifestyle change.

I slowly cut back on junk foods and fast foods, then got deeper with certain trigger foods (like gluten, cake-like goodies, sweets, soda, etc...). It took me a while. I even stopped cooking in olive oil and started using only organic coconut oil for cooking and olive oil only "cold" on salads or over steamed veggies. Wow, it's helped greatly. It is a saturated fat, but a good kind. It's not like butter or lard. I even use the coconut oil on my skin. =) After I finally got myself rid of certain foods and started eating more fresh, whole foods, the pounds started slowly falling off. Then, just recently, I've gotten to the point of being able to work out. I've also switched out the fruit juices to just fruit, except organic aloe juice...I still drink that. --It takes a bit of getting use to, but put in the blender with fresh berries or fruit, it's good.

Have you gals tried MSM and Turmeric? These two natural supplements have helped me a lot with inflammation.

Other supplements that have helped are Evening Primrose Oil and Fish Oil with omega-3's.