Blood Pressure meds

Options
katiepeg46
katiepeg46 Posts: 32 Member
Hi,
Does anyone here take Cardizem CD for blood pressure? I recently started taking it and I think one of the side effects is weight gain along with other side effects.

Can anyone help me wit this? I want to lose weight...not gain!

Thanks!
Kathy

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with that one. I take a mild diuretic and it helps with water weight. If I've forgotten to take it I usually gain 1-2 lbs. and my rings are tight.
  • mmccance123
    Options
    Hi Kathy,

I do not take this particular drug but I did a search for Cardizem CD weight gain and found the following article. Just copy and paste it into your browzer's URL space and you can read it too.

http://blood-pressure.emedtv.com/cardizem-cd/cardizem-cd-weight-gain.html

This particular drug does have a long list of really dangerous reactions in people, but weight gain is supposed to be a minor one. Ha. What do they know? That is not minor for those of us who really struggle to lose weight.

They suggest asking your doctor -- and then you have to bend over backward to make this drug work. BUT what I have discovered is that if you simply (and gently) tell your doctor you will not take it and ask him/her to find one for you that does not put weight on, and that you would be pleased and more than happy to try that one -- the doctor will immediately prescribe something else..

They will make you adjust to their system, unless you honestly and without anger or upset, tell them you won't do that, but are willing to try something else.

Hope that helps,
    Hugs,
    Marcia
  • katiepeg46
    katiepeg46 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Marcia,

Thanks for your reply. I am finding other things that are from taking the Cardizem. I am not getting leg cramps and I am getting "stupid". Can't think straight and get confused easily. At 67 I don't need that. I think it is lowering my potassium and giving me leg cramps.

I will look at the link.
    I have an appointment next month but I can send him an email.

Thanks again.

Kathy
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Hi Marcia,

Thanks for your reply. I am finding other things that are from taking the Cardizem. I am not getting leg cramps and I am getting "stupid". Can't think straight and get confused easily. At 67 I don't need that. I think it is lowering my potassium and giving me leg cramps.
    Even with my mild diuretic I have to get my potassium checked regularly. DH takes a stronger diuretic for his Lymphoma fluid retention and he has to take potassium with it. So definitely ask your doc about potassium.
  • mmccance123
    Options
    Hi Kathy!!

When I get leg cramps I take magnesium (Natural Vitality's "Natural Calm Orange Flavor" -- 1 tsp in 1 1/2 Cups water) and it gets rid of them within 20 minutes (sometimes less). I also take potassium supplements every day (as "Issyfit" also suggests). I get zinc in another multi-vitamin that I take and calcium would not hurt either.

This happens when I am not drinking enough water and my "electrolytes" (minerals) have become out of balance. It happens especially if I eat too many carbs or sweets on any given single day. It means my body is working overtime eliminating water and I'm on the verge of dehydration. So drinking water helps but I still need the magnesium cup from time to time when the cramps show up. If I'm not eating too many carbs or sweets, I have no problem with it.

I've learned that as soon as I recognize them (usually when I lie down to go to bed and my toes or feet start "pulling") I get up and drink a cup of "Calm" then go back to bed. It works every time.

I still think that asking your doctor for some other drug may be very helpful -- especially when you share about the cramps and brain fog!!

Hope you are doing well!!
    Hugs,
    Marcia