Run vs walk out of T2? Advice?

Options
KathleenKP
KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
I'll be doing my first tri (a sprint) in 3 weeks. I have only gotten onto the bike in the last 1.5 weeks due to an arm injury (I was doing spin classes to prep for the bike while that healed). I'm a new runner since January, and the bike is...1.5 weeks new.

I'm doing some bike to run transitions, and each one is getting better - I feel better sooner off the bike, and my run pace is getting faster. The first time I did a road bike to run brick, I was sure I wasn't going to be able to complete a tri this year. It was hard, and my legs felt like lead. Today I did a 14 mile ride, then went into a 1.5 mile run/some walking (short distance just because that first mile is the worst with the jelly - no more lead - legs, and due to time constraints).

Would I be better off to walk about 1/4 mile, then begin the running...or run slower, but run straight out of T2?

Any advice on how to figure this out since I don't have that many workouts left to get a feel for it? I need to start overall tapering soon, but my brick workout today was less than 75 minutes, so I think I can probably continue to do more of that intensity/duration for a couple weeks.

Thanks!

Replies

• PollyWolly98
    Options
    I just had my first sprint tri last weekend. I did not practice as many brick workouts as I should have. My goal was to keep moving the entire race and finish feeling strong. I felt awesome on the bike and went through T2 very fast. I ran out of T2, but didn't sprint or anything. A lot of the race was very mental for me. My head kept saying walk, but my body was actually ok, so I ignored it. My run segment was 3 miles with 2 water tables. I allowed myself to walk very briefly at the water tables so I could drink and pour over my head (I didn't drink at all during the bike leg, so felt I needed it). After the first half mile I realized my legs didn't feel so bad and I was fine. I tried to keep a strong, steady pace on the run and I felt great at the finish line. I was grinning ear to ear! I guess I'm just saying that you should go by feel in your race. Just take an honest assessment of what your body needs. My mind is always trying to trick me into thinking my body can't do things and I tend to rely on my HRM to tell me the truth. I really enjoyed my race and can't wait for the next one in a few more weeks. Good luck, you got this!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Once you do your first few brick workouts where you get the feel for how your legs feel running off the bike then the point of doing any running off the bike is to learn how to bring your heart rate into line so that you can run efficiently right out of T2. I'd run if I were you, and I spend any brick time you have left figuring out how to fall into a rhythm quicker than you did the workout before.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Once you do your first few brick workouts where you get the feel for how your legs feel running off the bike then the point of doing any running off the bike is to learn how to bring your heart rate into line so that you can run efficiently right out of T2. I'd run if I were you, and I spend any brick time you have left figuring out how to fall into a rhythm quicker than you did the workout before.

Completely agree.

That said, I often find that my adrenaline/competitiveness/whatever is much higher during races than it is during practice sessions, to the point where I have to consciously force myself to slow down early in the run, especially the first .25 mile or so. For that reason, I'll often intentionally walk a tenth of a mile or so just to get my HR in line and my legs under me before I fall into my typical run pace.

So to your question specifically, I think it ultimately depends on the person. As Scott said, use your practice sessions to figure out your intensity/rhythm coming off the bike. Come race day, if you are at all uncertain, dial things back just a bit until you hit your stride (pun intended).
  • scott091501
    Options
    And as with anything else a lot of this advice will make much more sense once you have a race or two under your belt. I've been racing for a few years and finally stepped up to Ironman this past May. There was a lot of advice that I thought made sense mentally that I just didn't have any kind of perspective to actually apply it to until the day after.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Agree with Scott/Jackson. Manage your heart rate off the bike, i.e., don't come screaming out of T2. The only way to figure this out is to practice, practice, practice. While I'm relatively new to it, I notice my HR is in the low 140s after a vigorous 12mi bike (18-20MPH avg), and it amps up as soon as I'm on my feet and running, so I will level it off at an aerobic BPM (157ish for me) for the 3mi run so I can finish, and finish strong.

Disclaimer: my training bricks are sprint distances, and I use them in place of tempo runs for marathon training which I'm also doing.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    and I'll lay this out there, as with all good plans, they only last until first contact. I planned to run my run, in fact I walked a good portion because I blew my legs out on the bike. The discussion will become academic if you can't manage your bike pacing.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I will also add re: bike pacing, and keeping things in perspective.

I did my bricks, in fact did a few that were 16 miles + 2.5 mile runs. Got to the point where they felt "good".

However, didn't matter in the race. I got to T2, racked my bike, and couldn't get my socks on. I sat down to get the socks and shoes on and could not get back up. It took a couple minutes to collect myself and get up. Do not sit down. Whatever weakness there is within you will jump out and say hello.
  • scott091501
    Options

I did my bricks, in fact did a few that were 16 miles + 2.5 mile runs. Got to the point where they felt "good".

However, didn't matter in the race. I got to T2, racked my bike, and couldn't get my socks on. I sat down to get the socks and shoes on and could not get back up. It took a couple minutes to collect myself and get up. Do not sit down. Whatever weakness there is within you will jump out and say hello.

This is where training by power or heart rate comes into play. You should know what wattage or heart rate you need to cap your effort at on the bike so you can get off and run. Overcooking the bike is a mistake made by many and ruins a race. The saying goes "There is no such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run."
  • jacksonpt
    Options

This is where training by power or heart rate comes into play. You should know what wattage or heart rate you need to cap your effort at on the bike so you can get off and run. Overcooking the bike is a mistake made by many and ruins a race. The saying goes "There is no such thing as a good bike followed by a bad run."

Agreed. And unfortunately I have the experience to needed to agree.
  • scott091501
    Options

My first 70.3 was perhaps the most painful experience of my life. I was convinced I could hold 20mph the whole time, and when I ran into a nasty headwind I stuck to it. Needless to say my HR was through the roof and I shuffled the whole 13.1 with quad cramps.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

My first 70.3 was perhaps the most painful experience of my life. I was convinced I could hold 20mph the whole time, and when I ran into a nasty headwind I stuck to it. Needless to say my HR was through the roof and I shuffled the whole 13.1 with quad cramps.

Sounds like me on my second. First one I went into just hoping to not have to stop during the swim or walk during the run. It's was basically a "I just want to put in a good effort and finish" race. My second one I had clear time goals, overcooked the bike and ended up DNFing. I was 8 minutes ahead of my goal after the swim and 13 minutes ahead after the bike. Obviously neither "paid off" come run time.
  • jentris
    jentris Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Completely agree.

That said, I often find that my adrenaline/competitiveness/whatever is much higher during races than it is during practice sessions, to the point where I have to consciously force myself to slow down early in the run, especially the first .25 mile or so. For that reason, I'll often intentionally walk a tenth of a mile or so just to get my HR in line and my legs under me before I fall into my typical run pace.

So to your question specifically, I think it ultimately depends on the person. As Scott said, use your practice sessions to figure out your intensity/rhythm coming off the bike. Come race day, if you are at all uncertain, dial things back just a bit until you hit your stride (pun intended).

I completely agree. A tenth of a mile early walk break for me makes a huge difference in the rest of the race. It's kind of amazing and silly at the same time because it is nothing! But now that I've figured it out I think I am making it work in my favor.

P.S. to Polly Wolly: You really need to drink on the bike. No excuses!! You are setting yourself up for a miserable and potentially dangerous run if you don't drink on the bike.
  • dbmata
    Options

Oh I'm sure, and I bet that's where a difference is made between the weekend mucker, and the people who take the racing seriously. I'd call myself the former at the moment. Understanding the heart rate pacing is pretty alien, even though I've seen people doing it at IM CDA.

Wattage? Isn't that some expensive equipment to bring into the training equation? Either way, I think for most people, they'd need a coach to make heads or tails of training like that. (I think I would.)
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Practice makes perfect.

Running after being on the bike for an hour, can hurt.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Sorry for highjacking this thread but what sort of Heart Rate should i be aiming for and not going over on my bike.....?
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Sorry for highjacking this thread but what sort of Heart Rate should i be aiming for and not going over on my bike.....?
    Completely ignore that - I've got Don Fink's book - was being lazy hoping I'd get the cheat version :happy:
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    So much helpful info! I enjoy reading everyone's experiences and what they learned.

I am still working on the bricks, and trying to run straight off the bike. I've got two house lots and then I'm up a very steep hill that sends my HR through the roof. I figure that should make me stronger and am hoping the actual race doesn't get that steep - that quick. (I need to drive down there and check out the routes - it is a very hilly area.) So far, each run continues to be a faster pace than the one before.

I think I'm OK with not having TOO much adrenaline kick in during the race. Unfortunately for me, my 5K race times were pretty much at my training paces. I can't seem to speed up for a race, as much as I want to. OTOH, I've been running with a group, and I did find that I can run faster and really slow myself down in the long run - if I feel really good at the start and want to keep up with people I know. Random other runners at a race - I guess I haven't had a chance to get attached to them yet and try to keep up with them. I just let them keep passing me. And also, OTOH - for my job I sometimes experience adrenaline rushes that take a couple hours to clear - and it's not fun. I hope I don't experience that during the race. Maybe my 5K experiences shouldn't be my guide as to how much (or little) adrenaline I can get pulsing through.