Meeting attendance

Options
WildcatMom82
WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
Has anyone ever gone to a meeting and been the only one there or one of very few? The biggest thing holding me back is my social anxiety, though kind of in reverse because I'm afraid to go and be one of few (therefore possibly getting more attention). If it was a small group what was your experience? For YEARS I've been telling myself I need to do this, but then I lose weight and am all "I don't need that!" But really I am so sick of obsessing over food and the binge cycle

Replies

• PattiUnleashed
    PattiUnleashed Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever gone to a meeting and been the only one there or one of very few? The biggest thing holding me back is my social anxiety, though kind of in reverse because I'm afraid to go and be one of few (therefore possibly getting more attention). If it was a small group what was your experience? For YEARS I've been telling myself I need to do this, but then I lose weight and am all "I don't need that!" But really I am so sick of obsessing over food and the binge cycle

Hi,
    I can understand the social anxiety. Plus ours is a disease of isolation, so isolating makes my little overeating disease happy and it feeds off it (literally, lol). :wink: The meetings I go to here are pretty small. I did attend one meeting once where it was just myself and one other person. We just sat and talked instead of a formal meeting. I'll admit it was a little awkward, but not too bad. Also, if you go here (site listed below) and click on daily recordings or special edition recordings you can listen to some awesome meetings with people with a lot of recovery..

http://www.avision4you.info/

And yes, I've done that too, lost the weight and thought "hmmm, I don't have a problem", only to find out that in time, I certainly do. It is an allergy of the body and an obsession of the mind. Working the 12 steps helps. Let us know if you go to a meeting and how it went for you.

Patti :flowerforyou:
  • Terri_Wickwire
    Terri_Wickwire Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've been to HUGE meetings, and I've been to meetings where there is literally a handful of people. I find that if I let go of "my" expectations of what the meeting should look like, turn becomes the perfect place at the perfect time. Sometimes small meetings feel very intimate; sometimes large meetings do too. My home meeting usually has around 7-15 women; I've also been to meeting that have 25 or so. If I focus on the fact that God gives me exactly what I need in that moment, I can let go of my shyness and just be there.
    :flowerforyou: