increase carbs on workout days?

Options
Is it necessary or healthy to increase carbs on workout days....and keep them low on rest days???

Not sure my first time doing lowish Carbs...been trying to keepthem under 100...now I lowered them to 40 carbs a day to see if this helps in steadier losses.

Pals not doing low carb say I must increase. My carbs on the days ill begin strength training n cardio?

Any advice?

Replies

• lifesigns64
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Sarahwantshealth
    Sarahwantshealth Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No it isn't needed from what I have learned. I do about an hour a day of weight lifting and a 4 mile walk afterwards (6 x per week). My carbs stay at about 30 gram per day.
  • lifesigns64
    Options
    Thanks Sarah!!!
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    What program are you following?

if ketosis is your goal (ala keto, Atkins) you would not carb up. You want to maintain ketosis, and become keto-adapted, where you body starts to use ketones as an energy source.

Also need to decide what's more important - workout performance, or weight loss. if you want to be more competitive in workouts, then yes, you'd want to carb up. If you are trying to optimize weight loss, skip the carbs. You might not feel as strong in workouts, but you'll still be fine doing them without carbs.
  • Golightly17
    Golightly17 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I have found that increasing my carb intake on workout days also increases my cravings. Upping carbs because one thinks they've earned it due to a workout can be a slippery slope. Also, remember that your body will use its carb reserves prior to burning fat for energy. If you need something to get you going for your workout I would suggest MCT oil, great for energy and it can help with some of the initial drudgery of working out prior to keto adaptation.
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

if ketosis is your goal (ala keto, Atkins) you would not carb up. You want to maintain ketosis, and become keto-adapted, where you body starts to use ketones as an energy source.

Also need to decide what's more important - workout performance, or weight loss. if you want to be more competitive in workouts, then yes, you'd want to carb up. If you are trying to optimize weight loss, skip the carbs. You might not feel as strong in workouts, but you'll still be fine doing them without carbs.

As a bloke pushing to the limit while in full (initially 30 days to reach and settle into it) sub 20g ketosis - I ve have noticed despite losing a massive amount of weight my strength has actually gone up and its the stamina it effects in having to cut sets and not suprising in only consuming 1750cals
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone's comments here. I do cardio most days of the week including running, swimming and boxing and don't find I need carbs. the energy from fat is just fine. I get drowsy now when I eat grains. Toast is like Demerol. I'm much happier with a glass of warm chicken broth with coconut oil. quite tasty and full of energy I can use.
  • lifesigns64
    Options
    Okay, when I told the friends on my list I was going to start to work out, I got alot of feedback to increase carbs, and it didn't sound right, but just wanted to check with people already doing low carb and working out/exercising. Thanks you guys!!!
  • Sarahwantshealth
    Sarahwantshealth Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone's comments here. I do cardio most days of the week including running, swimming and boxing and don't find I need carbs. the energy from fat is just fine. I get drowsy now when I eat grains. Toast is like Demerol. I'm much happier with a glass of warm chicken broth with coconut oil. quite tasty and full of energy I can use.

Yummy, I need to try this!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

This, plus depends on the type and duration of the workout, as well as your goals. (fitness goals, fat loss goals, performance goals, etc) Also, timing of the carbs and type/source can be a factor - http://eatingacademy.com/sports-and-nutrition/ketones-carbohydrates-can-co-exist

Also, the warm chicken broth with coconut oil (plus some garlic and ginger) is my cold remedy. :)