On and Off Season (Those looking to compete)

Options
Hey ya'll these questions are @ Annaruthus (aka "Ruthie"), coaches (pac_) and every other physique competitor / trainer PLEASE RESPOND.

1. How much over contest weight should get when trying to put on mass in the off season?

2. If my goal is is qualify for nationals (npc) or the Yorton cup (ifpa), how many shows is too many shows in a given bodybuilding season?

3. When is it time to stop cutting and start reverse dieting? (especially aimed at (pac_ and Ruthie for the ladies)

Replies

• pac_
    pac_ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    10-15 lbs. if you have been dieting for 30 weeks or more then maybe its time to take a break and reverse diet to avoid any metabolic adaption especially if macros are really in the poverty range.
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    1. I try to stay within 10-15lbs. I find that psychologically, it keeps me fairly happy because I can still see my abs. If I get to heavy (happened once) I feel unhappy with myself.

2. Personally, I would pick a few, but stop at whatever show qualifies you for a national show. I was prepared to compete in August, but because I qualified for Nationals in June, I have focused on competing in Nationals in November since then. I did 4 shows so far this year, and I was exhausted by the time June hit.

3. Again, depends on if your season is over. However, either way, a post comp meal plan even if you have another show coming up or if your season is over is never a bad idea. Besides the inevitable celebration meal, I would start reverse dieting immediately. Its so sad how quickly I can put on 10lbs when unchecked, and in a post comp spiral (takes like 10 days, mostly bloat I know, but still sad). Even in between shows, it is important to give your metabolism a break, and to relax mentally.